What happened to her front legs?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
This is a 2 year old heifer about to calve in a few weeks. She looked OK until a few months ago and her front legs started going south. :shock:

53m.jpg

Trim her up see if you can get her to walk right and correct herself.. If you do it once and it works great... if you do it and it happens again,, well sell her at the barn !!

Did she founder?

If she gets around and produces a calf I would keep her until she couldn't your going to get hamburger price anyway.
You already have over a 1000 bucks in her to get her to production age with no write off. Seems like a big loser to get hamburger prices now or in 12 or so years.

MikeC,

Are the pasterns long?

They look long enough that she might be starting to break down as she gains pre-calving weight.

I can't imagine it will get much better though even when the weight comes off.

Badlands

She didn't founder cause she's never had much feed to speak of.

She's also in a pretty rocky pasture area. Should be wearing those hooves down at least as fast as they are growing.

She just started getting thin on the heels in the past few months and it's getting worse. Pasterns looked fine til then.

I might try trimming her once or twice........but a lot will have to come off the front of the hooves to get her legs straight up again.

I am very disappointed. Seldom do I have foot problems.

Oh well. Maybe she'll have me a few steer calves.

I think it's that piece of sisal stuck in her toes. :lol:

Other than her legs, nice looking heifer. Even if she is a charlais. :p

cfpinz

Get someone to trim her up and see if that helps. If you don't want this issue to continue, do not keep any heifers.

if you have to trim a two yr old you might as well plan on selling her once she gets straightened out. Plus i wouldn't keep any of her offspring. A lot of foot problems can be genetic

TNfamilyfarm":1un792l5 said:
mike she's a big girl. please explain going south.

The rear part (or heel) of the front feet are wearing faster than the "toe" causing the angle of her lower legs to become more angular instead of being perpindicular to her body.

Just from the knee down. Hope that explains it.

She is not lame at all. Walks fine. Just worried about her later.

Thanks Doc.

I don't know. I can't recall ever having one with feet that bad under age 5. Could you get us a closeup of one front foot?

i would wait till she calve's then get up and trim her. the thing about leg and feet problems is genetic but from the bull side if thats the case. her calves may all be fine. she's a good looking heifer id hate to condemn her yet. with all her good qualitys she has. theres other ways for em to founder than just feed

Mike -
Looks like a dang fine specimen to me - lower leg and all. Of course we are all looking at a picture and you're right there with her.
Think I'd hold her for quite a while unless she becomes lame - lame or old, price will be the same.

BB

As a commercial cow, ride her until it is a problem; but as a seedstock cow (assuming I noticed the feet and they look as shallow heeled as that pic makes them look) I would be real scared of buying a bull out of a cow with those feet at that age and I always want to see the bull's mom.

MikeC":3go8im8n said:
TNfamilyfarm":3go8im8n said:
mike she's a big girl. please explain going south.

The rear part (or heel) of the front feet are wearing faster than the "toe" causing the angle of her lower legs to become more angular instead of being perpindicular to her body.

Just from the knee down. Hope that explains it.

She is not lame at all. Walks fine. Just worried about her later.

Thanks Doc.

Thanks for this post Mike. The picture and discussion is very educational on the subject of feet and legs. Novices and many experienced cattlemen would buy this cow in a heartbeat at an auction unaware of any problem. It's helped me.

Chicke or egg?

My bet would be the pasterns let loose, resulting in more pressure on the back of the foot = low heels and long toes.

Weak tendons would explain the calf-kneed look, too.

Foot problems sometimes start farther up the leg.

Badlands

Latest posts