What do you think about this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":36e4vo7k said:
Can you import semen from the US??

Importing semen to EU is difficult. It needs to be IBR negative. Only some animals qualifies. Many Limousin breeders say that NA limousines doesn't have enough muscling.

Red Bull Breeder":518xr2t3 said:
May not have enough muscling, but we have the docility he needs. Plus we have polled genetics.
Maybe they are docile, but I need muscle also, because in Europe you'll earn more just with muscular cattle if you're selling them to meat factories.

Personally I won't use a bull for just one trait if my goal is produce more beef per pound. What's wrong with Belgian Blue bulls? Are they too aggressive or what?

I did read up all of his posts and it seems his goal is producing more beef per pound in limited land. He doesn't says that he used a BB bull, all I see is his BB & crossbred cows.

P.A.L":2e69q7n2 said:
Red Bull Breeder":2e69q7n2 said:
Can you import semen from the US??

Importing semen to EU is difficult. It needs to be IBR negative. Only some animals qualifies. Many Limousin breeders say that NA limousines doesn't have enough muscling.

We are in the process of getting our Galloway bull collected for EU.

His scan results show a 67% lean meat yield. His calves are scanning similar numbers.

Galloways are known for being thrifty cattle, and non disciminatory grazers.

www.blegengalloways.com

Red Bull Breeder":1d8zfnkg said:
Read a few more threads. I think you already posted a one or two of them.
All I'm saying that a producer wants a bull brings all cards to the table. I'm all for docility but the bull needs more than just a docility and pollness.

Taurus":1w9uld19 said:
I did read up all of his posts and it seems his goal is producing more beef per pound in limited land. He doesn't says that he used a BB bull, all I see is his BB & crossbred cows.
First of all it'll be getter to say SHE :D Our BB cross cows borned from dairy cows, we used BB semen. :D All I want is to reach higher results and to make our cattle bigger and more muscular.

lithuanian farmer":3r200a9a said:
Taurus":3r200a9a said:
First of all it'll be getter to say SHE :D Our BB cross cows borned from dairy cows, we used BB semen. :D All I want is to reach higher results and to make our cattle bigger and more muscular.

Most important thing in beef production is a good structured, easy cow with low maintenance. When you select them to be big and muscular, you will some day end up with punch of problems. I'd get me good, milky british based cows(angus,hereford,shorthorn) and use carefully selected continental bull for them. Especially calving ease in mind. Sell all the calves and get replacements cows from breeders.

Just my opinion..

I agree. We're selecting heifers with wide pelvic bones that they won't have problems with calving. We also leave cows which haven't got no problems with calving. Heifers we inseminate with breeds which have little birth weight.

P.A.L":1a5ni68f said:
lithuanian farmer":1a5ni68f said:
Taurus":1a5ni68f said:

Most important thing in beef production is a good structured, easy cow with low maintenance. When you select them to be big and muscular, you will some day end up with punch of problems. I'd get me good, milky british based cows(angus,hereford,shorthorn) and use carefully selected continental bull for them. Especially calving ease in mind. Sell all the calves and get replacements cows from breeders.

Just my opinion..

Nothing wrong with BB CROSS. We have had BB cross for almost 20 years, we've never had any problems with docility and we recognize the problems with calving which is why we cross them. We have tried several breeds to mix, we found for us the most efficient and effective calf for our farm is the American Simmental and BB. The cattle have a healthy balance and we've had several cross cows produce many years, being low maintenance, well framed and feed efficient. LF might benefit from crossing with a different breed though, since Simmental in Europe are massive cattle with high birth weights and not much calving ease to offer.
As far as a terminal breed, I would never select anything but a heavily muscled breed such as BB. You get maximum hybrid vigor and great carcass yields.

Things in general are different for *most European farmers vs. America... the terrain, the forage, the farm size...
If you look at Euro websites for their livestock shows, a lot of their animals are bulky, meaty critters.
Sheep included. (example: beltex)

http://www.fwi.co.uk/blogs/livestock-and-sales-blog/2011/07/
Something from the UK

IMAG0332-1-1-1.jpg

Here is a 12 year old BB cross cow from GR,
She's in the 1600# neighborhood, great momma, lots of patience and mothering in her.
Stands as still as a statue even as she has a 600lb calf about yanking her bag off.

P.A.L":206v2yd3 said:
lithuanian farmer":206v2yd3 said:
Its hard for us to judge breeds because we can't find information about breeds and breeders in our country don't want to share information about their breeds, I know about breeds and especially about aubrac just as much as I've heard from other people, for example, out vet told us that he's tried aubrac semen on his cow and aubrac cross heifer was wild, he said that and other people have the same problem with aubrac, so we even haven't tried aubrac cross because we don't want to have wild cattle.About other breeds we've made opinion from our cattle. Farmers in Lithuania say that the best breed is the breed they keep. Yesterday one farmer in lithuanian forum have written that the best breed is Limousin and despite serious hurts and funny events Limousines are the best breed. He also mention that this year from 13 cows just 3 feeds their calves, but all cows are aggressive then you want to help for calf.So maybe someone could tell us are Aubrac really wild? Or just we've wrong information about them.

If 3 of 13 cows nurse their calves and they'r causing accidents, are all the cows ready for slaughter. They aren't profitable at all. When you have 100 of those, your in deep trouble :D
Today he written really funny thing :lol: He said that if you have beef bull with bad temper, you can make bull better training it. :lol: It'll be really interesting to watch how he'll train an adult Limousine,Charolais or Aubrac bull :lol:

Latest posts