What do you do when you get too big

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
For your britches ?
You start throwing your weight around, impose your will and force your agenda on others
Walmart announced it will have an expanded program with a consistent message and a standard of excellence that will touch at least 50% of the cattle industry by the close of 2016, McDonald says. This expanded program will include guidelines on land stewardship, water quality and reduced feed and manure emissions, he adds. And that's not all. "They're also starting a pilot program that includes environmental criteria. And 15% of their beef supply will be sourced under this criteria by 2023," he says

http://beefmagazine.com/cattle-industry ... eally-mean

McDonald's & Walmart Demand Sustainable Beef – What Does That Really Mean?

Last week, when McDonald's announced it will begin purchasing verifiable sustainable beef in 2016, many in the cattle business wondered exactly what McDonald's meant by "sustainable beef."

Here's the catch—nobody knows. And that, says Tom McDonald, is a conundrum.

McDonald is vice president of environmental affairs with JBS Five Rivers Cattle Feeding and a member the committee overseeing the National Cattlemen's Beef Association's (NCBA) beef sustainability assessment project. Speaking at the Southwest Beef Symposium last week in Clayton, NM, McDonald told cattlemen that the beef sustainability clock is now ticking in earnest.

Historically, McDonald says, sustainability in the beef business meant that your income exceeded your operating expenses and you were able to stay around for another year. However, consumers change and the world in which cattlemen now must operate is different.

"You've got Americans who not only want to buy products that work, that do the job, but that align with their values," he told cattlemen. "Today, I think you can safely say that sustainability represents the moral values of each person or organization representing the term. So that's where our dilemma comes in; everybody has their own mental picture of what sustainability means when it addresses their moral values."

Up until last week, there was a lot of conversation about beef sustainability, but little definite action. That has now changed. "Now we have a deadline. In 2016, McDonald's is going to purchase verified sustainable beef. They don't say how much and they don't give themselves a timeline to have their entire beef purchases sustainable. But I bet you in 2016, we will have standards and they will have a way to verify them. So the clock starts."

And McDonald's isn't the only major player to start the clock. Last September, Walmart announced it will have an expanded program with a consistent message and a standard of excellence that will touch at least 50% of the cattle industry by the close of 2016, McDonald says. This expanded program will include guidelines on land stewardship, water quality and reduced feed and manure emissions, he adds. And that's not all. "They're also starting a pilot program that includes environmental criteria. And 15% of their beef supply will be sourced under this criteria by 2023," he says
Fortunately, says Ben Weinheimer, Texas Cattle Feeders Association vice president, the beef industry, through NCBA's beef sustainability assessment project, has a head start on establishing a baseline and a level of improvement in an exhaustive list of beef sustainability efforts. Based on that assessment, the beef industry now defines its sustainability as three pillars—financial viability, environmental stewardship and social equity. Based on the beef industry's initial assessment, he says the beef industry improved its sustainability efforts overall by 5% from 2005 to 2011.

So the beef industry has a good story to tell. Weinheimer and McDonald say that the beef industry has been at the table, telling cattlemen's story and defending the beef industry in the many meetings leading up to last week's announcement. That effort will now have to shift into road gear.

"So you have McDonald's and Walmart setting goals that will have to have standards that will have to be met. And today, we don't know what those standards are. So you can understand the level of activity that's fixing to occur," McDonald says.

reduced manure and feed emissions under the conditions most of you are farming under is complete nonsense.
I'll guarantee you neither is high enough to be sustainable anywhere that has less than a cow/acre stocking rate.

Biggest problem with that word sustainability everywhere - it's never been defined exactly what it means. Been hearing the buzzword for the last seven, eight, ten years, complying with all the new legislation it brings in - I still don't know what it means.

Sustainable Ag- Man plants seed, seed grows, and matures, Man harvests the seed, Man plants seed.............

We'll see how this :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: flies for them when a hamburger costs them $12 a lb.

I work for a co that sells a lot..millions..to walmart..they tell you what theyre gonna pay..either you sell to them for that price or they find someone who will..we have huge issues making money selling to walmart and sams club..

I work for Tropicana orange juice

3waycross":sggblan2 said:
We'll see how this :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: flies for them when a hamburger costs them $12 a lb.
There you have it!!

And when even more producers are driven from the business and the smallest US cattle herd in 60 years shrinks to an even smaller size, that will push prices up, not down--due to tight and not as nearly sustainable production. The tail might wag a dog, but lets see how it works trying to wag a 800 lb steer.

And you are 100% right--Walmart has gotten too big for it's Chinese made britches and it's gonna get worse if we end up with another Arkansawer in the White House. I don't think Chinamart understands how much the people actually hate the dang place tho, and I hope I live long enough to see a federal anti-monopoly suit filed against them.

dieselbeef":sggblan2 said:
I work for a co that sells a lot..millions..to walmart..they tell you what theyre gonna pay..either you sell to them for that price or they find someone who will..we have huge issues making money selling to walmart and sams club..

Hmmm, that's interesting--beef and citrus meet. Consolidated Citrus is the largest supplier of citrus in the country--CC is owned by......................... King Ranch.

You are right about being hated, I do my dead level best to buy anywhere else.
Here they cater to the food stamp, medicare crowd. They have gotten in bed with DC all it took was a few dollars.

Most people on this board and most people involved in local community agriculture live in a very small bubble. While what I will say might tick a few folks off - when has that ever stopped me - the message of "sustainable agriculture" has very deep roots and is agenda driven by many people the world over - starting with the United Nations and the elites of the world.

Stuff really does happen outside the borders of your county or township - but most have no clue about the international news - just that Betty Sue from down the road had a car accident yesterday.

There are many powerful and rich groups that seriously lobby and have started to use "sustainable agriculture" as the new catch phrase to prevent the use of GMO corn, fertilizers and and hebicides and pesticides.

Sustainable agriculture is being used as a nebulous term specifically because it is easily open to interpretation. Like your own constitution and the Canadian constitution - it will be easily b*stardized by the high priced lawyers and judges and politicians and people who want to make a buck at any cost.

One specific example that is presently being touted on the LinkedIn group "Sustainable Agriculture" is that no healthy plant can be attacked by bugs or fungus or mould - so our plants are unhealthy and that is the reason we use various chemicals - our crops are unhealthy.

The next is that any man made fertilizer is bad for the environment and only manure should be used.

This ties in with this article reporterd in the rag the Guardian - but it is a report from OXFAM - a very large international relief organization.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -the-world

It states that 85 people in the world have more combined wealth than 50% of the third world population. You can believe it or deny it - however the fact remains that wealth of a few does indeed affect our daily lives. WalMart has an annual budget that the majority of third world countries would love to have.

It all ties together and the biggest reason all of these intiatives will succeed?

People will sit and talk and then say: "Well, those outfits can do what they want - I am going to keep on doing it my way."

That is exactly what the wealthy corporations and people of the world want you to do. Because you think long term of three to five years - they think generationally.

Organic will become the way of the future - not because it is the answer - but because it will be forced upon those in agriculture as "sustainable".

Anyone else using chemicals or drugs will become known as someone who is poisoning the people and the environment.

All it takes is for people to sit down, drink their coffee, do nothing and it will happen.

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is what "sustainable agriculture" means to the people who drive the programs - simply because they do not care about you - you are the ignorant farmer or rancher who will do as you are told.

And do not even get me started on water use and water waste and how that will soon become another big issue.

Prepare to be legislated into submission.

If you doubt me - I challenge you to do some serious research on how the world is changing and how the control of YOUR world is changing. I would bet less than 10% of you have any true understanding of how changes will be driven and you will have no input.

If you are not active in promoting your way of life in agriculture, you are part of the problem because there are people out there - and billions of dollars out there - that REALLY want to tell you how to raise cows, pigs, chickens, grains and they want to tell you how bad any use of fertilizer and chemical is. And they have access to media as well. In fact they control the media - and with media you can control the masses.

There was a famous and evil German politician/Nazi Party member during WWII who once said - I paraphrase - Tell a small lie and some will believe it. Tell a big lie and repeat it often. All will come to believe it.

I can tell a tall tale to someone on the 12'th floor of a chicken coop built for people in any city of the world and they will believe it if I look and sound sincere.

In fact my own knowledge of the above is very limited but I am learning quickly.

Most of you will simply shake your head - say ole Bez is off on another tangent - but if even one of you actually does take a look at the risks we have on the horizon I have done my job this morning.

For that one person - thanks and good luck.

For the rest?

Well have a great day and enjoy that coffee you are drinking - it might not be available in a few years if some have their way - as it is grown and harvested by people who are "child labour slaves and people who are down trodden and enslaved in poverty" - not my words, but the words of many on the internet.

I will say this: Be afraid - be very afraid. Best to all

Bez

You need to read (or at least skim) UN Agenda 21.

Imagine this country being divided up into sections of sustainable areas and you'll get the idea of what this plan is calling for. Youtube also has seminars posted that explain it.

And to quote Bez: "Be afraid - be very afraid."

slick4591":2zbztu0u said:
You need to read (or at least skim) UN Agenda 21.

Imagine this country being divided up into sections of sustainable areas and you'll get the idea of what this plan is calling for. Youtube also has seminars posted that explain it.

And to quote Bez: "Be afraid - be very afraid."

Sounds a bit like "The Hunger Games"??

dieselbeef":2kk7xlor said:

That is typical of Wal-Mart and is why Wal-Mart pushed alot of small companies out of business. For example, Goodyear tires at Wal-Mart are NOT the same Goodyear tires at a Goodyear dealer. Wal-Mart makes Goodyear develop a special compounded tire to reduce price, but keep the Goodyear name. Same holds true at Lowe's and Home Depot though, so Wal-Mart isn't the only one. John Deere at Lowe's isn't the same quality John Deere at a John Deere dealer.

It's marketing. Wal-Mart is responding to what they see as a more profitable segment of the market. They see a lot more opportunity to profit from the Sustainable Ag crowd than the looking for $2/lb hamburger crowd.

Good post Bez but I wouldn't get my shorts in a bind over it.

Many people want to know where their food is coming from, what's really in it and how it was raised. That is a good thing.

The rest is just fluff.

jmho.

Jim

SRBeef":32bbhoml said:
It's marketing. Wal-Mart is responding to what they see as a more profitable segment of the market. They see a lot more opportunity to profit from the Sustainable Ag crowd than the looking for $2/lb hamburger crowd.

Many people want to know where their food is coming from, what's really in it and how it was raised. That is a good thing.

The rest is just fluff.

jmho.

Jim
He DID say, that most wouldn't. Good coffee?

SRBeef":2l25a80b said:

The rest is just fluff.

jmho.

Jim

Horse shyt. Most (meaning most) look at price and buy unless they're on the government tit and then they can be selective.

TexasBred":1vvm43e7 said:
Horse shyt. Most (meaning most) look at price and buy unless they're on the government tit and then they can be selective.

That certainly simplifies everything... ;-)

Jim

snake67":vowe34so said:
And do not even get me started on water use and water waste and how that will soon become another big issue.Bez
It already is. The most productive agricultural region in the world is right here where I sit and it's getting really scary. I already have to enroll all of my farm ground in an irrigated lands water quality control district and it really looks like they're going to use the drought to step in and tell us how much water we can pump from our own wells. I may be just a little jaded but my hunch is that the first time they tell us how much we can apply they'll never stop regardless of how much water we have.
In the mean-time, what little water we do have is going out to sea because a bunch of environmentalists have convinced our politicians that fish are more important than farms.
CA is always in a drought from May until November(in a good year) but this year our drought has as much or more to do with government than it does nature.

I'm surprised at how many people don't recognize a marketing ploy when they see one!
Have you forgotten about "leaner meat" "country of origin" "soy-burgers " " grass fed "and "CAB" ?

If Walmart wants to use this ploy to bring customers into their stores, my hat is off to them.
I don't care what adjective they use to describe beef as long as they are selling beef!

Do you really think any cow/calf operation, backgrounders, feedlots or packers are going to change their operation just for Walmart?
If you do I have a bridge I want to talk to you about.
Liz

NC Liz 2":2ymrtmgx said:
I'm surprised at how many people don't recognize a marketing ploy when they see one!
Have you forgotten about "leaner meat" "country of origin" "soy-burgers " " grass fed "and "CAB" ?

If Walmart wants to use this ploy to bring customers into their stores, my hat is off to them.
I don't care what adjective they use to describe beef as long as they are selling beef!

Do you really think any cow/calf operation, backgrounders, feedlots or packers are going to change their operation just for Walmart?
If you do I have a bridge I want to talk to you about.
Liz

you are whistling past the graveyard.

I think the response to this varies by who your customer is.

Some folks when Wal-Mart says "jump!" they ask "how high?".

Some folks don't give a darn about what Wal-Mart says.

I do agree that this is a marketing plan and if it increases total beef consumption in the USA than I wish them well.

Note the original post says only 15% of WM beef will be in this program so they are looking to stratify the market and have different quality and price points of beef in their stores. I hope they increase beef consumption.

Jim

Latest posts