What do ya do?

Help Support CattleToday:

1848":3lqyijze said:
Call out the Soil conservation guy or the office which deals with water runoff in your area. They may want to see what waterways that "excess" residue is going into...and encourage him to clean it up a little...or at least do some dirt work. Remember, there are requirements for contamination of deep wells and the like, especially if there is an aquafer near by. With ground water, wells and septic lines, there are laws and regulations with help prevent possible contaminants from getting into them, and can only be within so many feet of these things. It's a thought.

All good suggestions here.

There is more than one way to get the owner to pay attention and resolve the issues he created.

Call your local Board of Health as well.

Sometimes they can do more and have more authority than the local SPCA.

With all this increased attention on ill/downer cows... I would *think* that with Mad Cow being the concern of the nation and these cows looking poor--that a posse of Health/Ag/SPCA officials would be out there soon after you called them.

Drop some dimes, make some phone calls and get things moving--for the animals sake.

You may also request a "progress report" from the authorites that you call. As a tax payer you have every right to know the progression of your complaint, and it will signal to them that you are SERIOUS about immediate action being taken.
Trust me on this one.

Let us know what happens,

CowCop":2l7rg45t said:
With all this increased attention on ill/downer cows... I would *think* that with Mad Cow being the concern of the nation and these cows looking poor--that a posse of Health/Ag/SPCA officials would be out there soon after you called them.

Drop some dimes, make some phone calls and get things moving--for the animals sake.
I dont know what a CowCop is but I know it makes me sick!!! Youve heard ONE SIDE of this story and already talking that kind of GARBAGE!!! A "posse of Health/Ag/SPCA officials" is a really really smart thing to wish for. Most of us that have had stock long enough have a problem on occassion...I'd hate to think that I had neighbors that look over my fence and try to micro manage my business ever time they see a poor cow or cattle standing in mud!!! You people have heard one side of the story!!!!!! Time out to go puke :mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't get too mad tapeworm. This has been going on for quite a few years. I also want you to know that I haven't called anyone. It's not that the cattle are in horrendous condition. I wouldn't lose sleep over reporting something like that. There are a lot of things that need to be done differently at this place though. Opening up the barns for severe weather would make a tremendous impact for instance. I can't stand it that the only reason he doesn't is because he doesn't want the extra work of having to make repairs if they break something. He doesn't understand an empty barn falls in faster than a used barn. Getting his tractor out and improving the drainage would make another tremendous impact. Not much high dollar stuff, just a little of his time. While he's at it he could make a few more mounds for them. I have even seen guys put out piles of cornstalks to try and give a little more dry space if needed. He grows corn. He could have someone big round bale some like we do. We pay $7 a bale to have this done for us - and money isn't really an issue for him. As far as feeding goes - he does feed but it isn't real regular and there are times when they are starting to get pretty hungry before he gets to it. It is possible I am over sensitive to this because here, the animals eat before we eat. The cattle aren't so bad that a bullet would be their best friend but by how low their heads hang I can tell they're not happy either. I would just like to see him spend more time watching his cattle and less time watching his TV. Especially since outside of planting and harvesting he does nothing else. I can't even justify any of this with - he has limited time because of off farm job or something.

Latest posts