What do ya do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
Thought I'd ask for everyones opinion on this. There's a feedlot close by that bothers me. The owner doesn't seem to take care of his cattle real well. He gets out to feed them whenever it occurs to him. There is no wind break or shelter - there is a barn he could open up but he says cattle are too hard on buildings. He has one dinky mound that a couple head could get on. All the others wallow around in mud up to their bellies. It is possible to improve the drainage but he doesn't have the ambition to go do it. He rarely walks through his cattle to see if there is sickness or lameness or anything. No shade for the summer. Weather here is cold winters, wet springs, and hot summers. I see this lot everyday so I can't even try to forget about what these animals go through. Question is - is there anything that can be done? Am I just over reacting? Is it just none of my business? Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

That's a tough one, Farmhand.

I wrestle with the same feeling about a fellow in the area that has the worst run operation I've ever seen. Cattle and land managed poorly. Cows always thin...just various degrees of emaciation. Not that they are lazy people, just fingers in too many pies to run the ranch properly.

Situation complicated by the fact that the folks that own it are sincerely nice people (would give you the shirt off their back if they thought it would help you out of a bind). Nice, but misguided.

If you come up with a solution, let me know. My conscience drives me crazy on the subject. Apparantly SPCA has been called on them before, but nothing much ever comes out of it.

Take care.

ps. A hearfelt thanks to my editor! :oops:

Have you talked to the owner? Does he need a good employee to help out, maybe you could help them out a little and also help the cattle. I've never been to a feedlot but if his cattle are neglected how do they gain weight?

These people have no business with animals. I don't understand why they get them in the first place. The wet conditions and the mud to the bellies is not acceptable. Then when you go say something to these people, it starts a war. If you report them, I don't care who it is, they will either give your name or enough information for them to know. We had a vet in this area that would let two horse traders pull their own blood for EIA. (Coggin's test) One traded horses by the dozens and the other would admit to pulling blood off of one animal so that the test would be negative. Several horses in this are came up postitive that came through this trader. At the time, a gentleman had two Belgin mares in the pasture with my horses. Both of these mares came up positive. I sweated when the state vet came out and pulled blood from my horses. All came back negative. His two mares were put down and then he had a few more at his house that came up positive. He had bought a couple of horses from this trader that pulled his own blood. I called the state veterinarian and told him about this vet and to follow up on this since these horses were coming from him. The vet asked for my name in casual conversation with the vet or the traders, but if it got ugly, or more needed to be done, then I would jump in the middle of it. The vet went ahead and gave my name anyway. I did not feel bad for turning these guys in. Several other horses coming from these traders did show up positive. I was not their favorite person after that. I have no respect for the vet and the two that practiced this. But it is still tough to turn people in that are living close. But it is tougher to look at the animals when they are suffering. Either way, it will worry you.

The cattle are his own. He does feed them - just not as diligently as one should. Have tried talking to him but he is a young kid who thinks he knows more. Also does not consider a woman to know anything. I feel sorry for his wife. I don't think turning him in would accomplish anything but problems in the neighborhood. His attitude is bad enough that even his folks are starting to wash their hands of him. There is just so much more he should be doing - his operation would be more profitable if he considered a little comfort for his cattle. It makes it even harder for me knowing that he doesn't have a job off the farm. Outside of crops, cattle are the only thing he does. I have a hard time with someone laying around the house when their animals are in the conditions they are. It does help knowing that there are others out there who feel as I do. Thanks!

His parents are washing their hands of him because he lacks responsibility. What a jerk! A person like this doesn't need anything to take care of. Mostly something living. He needs to lose his cattle to someone else, and go find a place to work where the result will not be dead animals. I wonder if he has a loan on these cattle. I bet the bank would not be happy to see how their money is working for them. Grrrrr!!

Call out the Soil conservation guy or the office which deals with water runoff in your area. They may want to see what waterways that "excess" residue is going into...and encourage him to clean it up a little...or at least do some dirt work. Remember, there are requirements for contamination of deep wells and the like, especially if there is an aquafer near by. With ground water, wells and septic lines, there are laws and regulations with help prevent possible contaminants from getting into them, and can only be within so many feet of these things. It's a thought.

Chuckie you are right - he is very irresponsible. He wants to run with the big boys without having to put in the hard work like everyone else. I would love to have a bigger operation but I won't do it by sacrificing the cattle I do have. There is only so much money and if something needs fixing or done better that gets done first. Doesn't leave a whole lot sometimes to increase the herd. Trouble is - He has a doting and elderly grandfather that bails him out as needed.

Farmhand":16wdykua said:
Trouble is - He has a doting and elderly grandfather that bails him out as needed.

Got a neighbor like that. He's been bankrupt 6 times that I know of thinking he's a dairyman . His mother bails him out. His twin sister won;t even talk to him. He's now in the process and pretty well along in going TU for the 7th time.

dun

Very frustrating situation.. in my business I see cattle all day long, and I can't tell you how :mad: it makes me to see stuff like this happening. Wouldn't you think with the price of cattle now, people would sell the darned things off if they don't want to care for them??

I think it's worth checking with the local SPCA on this one. I don't know anything about the chapters in Iowa, so do some research! I called them myself on a neighbor down the road last summer. They had to come over 100 miles away (the closest one is in Ft. Worth), and it took them 3 weeks to get there, but they did, and the situation HAS changed.

The conditions you describe really aren't that uncommon at many yards. Not all have windbreaks or any type of shelter. I'm guessing it is only muddy in the spring and if it you get heavy rains right? I've seen many places where cattle are up to mud half-way to the knee this time of year and when it rains a lot. If it is seriously up to their bellies, that is totally different.

Also you mention that he feeds them whenever he gets around to it. Are you saying the cattle are going hungry for long periods of time, or does he always keep feed in front of them even though it may not be fresh?

Also I hate to admit it, but I rarely walk through my pens either. I always look them over after I feed, and if I don't see any with their ears drooped, head down, excessive coughing, snotty noses, etc. I forget about them until the next day.

I'm not trying to defend the guy, but what some people consider cruel treatment, may be the industry norm. Some people think it's cruel if animals are outside in the rain or snow, or have to drink out of a pond instead of a waterer. If these are truely horrible conditions I would call someone, otherwise maybe talk to other neighbors who raise cattle and see if they think the conditions warrant some action.

If he's willing to take some advice and help , He should talk to the soil conservation service , they will help him improve his feeding area and they might be able to help with the cost if he's willing to do what they want. We are in the process of redoing our setup with their help. we had an okay setup but there's alot of new development all around us and I want to stay in the cattle business a while yet so I thought if we could make things a little better it might help

There are some people that should NEVER have any animals. They haven't a clue... Some of the problems:

(1) Absentee owner (e.g. tax writeoff) and/or lousy "ranch" manager.
(2) Trying to starve a profit out of an animal.
(3) Want animals because they think it is a "nice" or "cool" thing to do.
(4) Haven't a clue as to what an animal needs or how to care for them.
(5) Animal owner being a tightwad and refusing to spend $$ for proper care of animals or animal safe facility.
(6) Animal owner being totally oblivious to conditions at their place.
(7) Too lazy to properly care for place or animals.
(8) Collect animals to have more "possessions".
(9) Etc.

Turn the guy in - if he will not listen to advice from neighbors or women or apparently anyone else, then just turn him in. You do not, I assume, have to tell anyone you are the "turner inner", but after you do so then the problem might get corrected by the proper authorities and you can at least go to sleep at night knowing you did the best you could.

Don't let it bother you about the reaction of the neighborhood - sometimes you just have to buck up and do what is right.

Good Luck!

Funny thing about the cattle business. I see folks in my area who don't take very good care of their cattle at all. I, on the other hand, am just a little too soft hearted, for lack of a better term, and take too good a care of mine. Most of the folks here dont get too technical about the business. They all just have as big a herd as they can manage with the intention of getting calves to sell at 500 lbs or so. Here's the rub. They all make nice profits each year for as little effort as they put into it. I , on the other hand, seem to be constantly losing my a$$ to the point that I am in the process of getting out of the racket before I lose any more. Just the breaks I guess. Good guys dont always win.

george

be careful where you step & who you step on. sometime down the road some one may think you are not taking care of an animal or a child right either. if he was truly doing that bad of a job there would be a high death rate, & very little profit. everytime a rung is knocked off the ladder you become closer to the bottom. maybe that is why god says not to judge others. when growing up in my time we were taught to mind our own business. maybe you could go over to offer help to him & see if he wants to change things

nothin makes me madder than the mistreatment of kids, elderly folks or animals. keep an eye on him. :( :mad:
i see some of the poorest, saddest cattle come through the sale barns sometimes, (some good ones too) how someone can let an animal get in that kind of shape is beyond me. i am sure that guy would get my pressure up. :mad:
if ya got to report him, to bad for him...but good for his animals...
if ya can kinda help him out and he can listen....good for him and the animals.....and you too for being such a good person....
hope it works out

samm

Most of us strive to make a profit, at least some of the time to keep the IRS off our backdoors. Having said that, anyone that knowing keeps animals in a poor condition, does not need to be in the cattle business. Dudes like this make it difficult for the rest of us. The public thinks those ribeyes just appear like magic, of couse we know better. So get the SPCA involved, and nail this guys hide to the wall... Venting a little here, but if you cant take care of it, sell it and let someone else step up to the plate.

Latest posts