What Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I would get some Gyr or one of the Brahman strains that has those long eared, cuter than a speckled pup, calves. I would keep some Tarentaise, too, and make some Tar-Brays.

Probably wouldn't change much, would still have the line bred Victor Domino Polled Herefords. Would like to go back and pick
up a bull or two I pasted on years ago. Did have a good experience with Red Angus cattle for about ten years but had to cut back
with just too many irons in the fire. Have been working on the Herefords for thirty-seven years so they will be here for a while.
I also don't move as fast as I once did....Another reason the Herefords are still here!!!!

Thanks George for the compliment!!!!!
DM

well id stay with beefmaster,an prolly add shorthorns.ive been wising i could buy some shorthorns for awhile now.

Turned out a 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman bull on some Brangus cows last week. I had been wanting to do that for a while. Both are big ranch raised and I am hoping for some good looking, hardy mommas. From there you can put any thing you want back over them.

I learned a long time ago the best way to build castles is with other people's money. ;-)

Since we're doing air castles and all . . . . if I could have all the money back I've put into it and do things all over, I'd put in a dirt bike track and leave the cattle to people who knew what they were doing.

I've made more money selling shorthorn calves than I ever have selling crossbred calves at the sale barn. I sold one calf last year that cost me $25 for the semen for more cash than half of my calf crop of commercial calves brought two years prior. There is a huge demand for Shorhorn heifers and the bulls do just fine too. My partner is South Texas posted an add in Livestock weekly selling 12 purebred weaned bull calves. They all sold within ONE WEEK for a minimum of $1200. These are not pampered show cattle either. They were rounded up, weaned, and an add put in the paper.

I can't imagine raising a breed of livestock just because that's what the salebarn wants. There are countless other outlets that don't require much IF ANY additional inputs. There might not be as much total demand for Shorthorn genetics compared to say the demand for Angus genetics, but proportionate to the number of breeders out there, the demand for shorthorns is considerably higher.

BUILD IT - AND THEY WILL COME.

Caustic Burno":3vc0l6d1 said:
novatech":3vc0l6d1 said:
Caustic Burno":3vc0l6d1 said:
Buiding air castle's and just for fun if you were starting over today what would you restock you pasture with.
I am talking about true breeds before they turned dang near everyone of them black.
Myself be a pasture full of gray Brimmer girl's and a polled Hereford bull.
I would do about the same except flip it around. The pure brimmers are just to pricey. There is a lot of calving advantage with bremmer girls but I have a tank full of Brahman semen I need to use.
Need to add that I'm getting to old to fight with a mamma protecting her calf.

But I was building air castle's money wasn't in my equation it was poof they were in my pasture.
Heck if we don't have to pay for it I'll fly to dallas take a cab to clarksvill march into the pigglywiggly and buy me a flippin ribeye bout2 inches thick. Hey do I have to pay my own way home ? Hell it'll be worth it to see my frends.

Latest posts