What breed to use

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2t11zim0 said:
We were pretty pleased. There was a writer for one ofthe national marketing rags that atteneded. He'ld seen the cattle in the morning and said he hadn't seen any cattle sell for anymore then ours did even at the prevac sales.

dun

Dun I am glad that things went well for you!!!!! Just goes to show that it pays to raise quality cattle no matter what the breed.
your friend
Mike

And these are all mixes of breeds. A few straightbred, but mostly either cross or really, really cross breeds. They range from Brangus to Gelbvieh with all of the british breeds included.
There was also a pretty large weight variation from lightest to heaviest in each of the three groups.
But you are 100% correct, Quality brings the bucks.
None of the feeders that bid have ever seen these calves either. The marketing grup has developed a high enough reputation that they bid sight unseen, and we usually get a couple of repeat biddres each time plus a newby or two. Not all of the feeders that bid will repeat with the next offering. But there are 3-4 that bid on every group.
So I guess it's more of quality and the reputation for quality is what sells.

dun

Given that you have brangus cows, I would suggest a good charolais bull. Brangus/Charolais or smoke colered calves are a wonderful terminal cross. They bring top dollar in most places. Only downfall is maybe a little too much ear from the brahman influence. As long as you make sure to buy a quality charolais, you will be happy. Good Luck!
Kevin
SC

mwj":3i6f0oxi said:
One rule I have found to hold true over 40 years of buying and selling, is good quality brings good money no matter what the color. :cboy:
your friend
Mike
Read board for several months.... and now ready to input...

You couldn't have said it better. Everybody here in KY worries about breed selections. I have mixed cattle, mostly Hereford cows bred to Charolais, few black bred to same, the CharMixes bred to same. Good cattle around here do bring top dollar regardless of color.

riquezada":3j4lc5ba said:
mwj":3j4lc5ba said:
One rule I have found to hold true over 40 years of buying and selling, is good quality brings good money no matter what the color. :cboy:
your friend
Mike

You couldn't have said it better. Everybody here in KY worries about breed selections. I have mixed cattle, mostly Hereford cows bred to Charolais, few black bred to same, the CharMixes bred to same. Good cattle around here do bring top dollar regardless of color.

Welcome aboard. :)

greenwillowherefords":u4a1l0dz said:
riquezada":u4a1l0dz said:
mwj":u4a1l0dz said:
your friend
Mike

Welcome aboard. :)
Thanks...like the pic...herefords are about my favorite due to thier great disposition

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
OK, I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth - BUT - I find it hard to believe that the "modern" solid red or solid black simmental would be discounted anywhere.quote]

"modern" solid red or black Simmentals, Jeanne? Now are those the ones produced by breeding Holstein into the breed? Or the ones with Angus? You ignored my question before; I'd really like to see your comment....

Frankie":2hrtxhuz said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2hrtxhuz said:
OK, I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth - BUT - I find it hard to believe that the "modern" solid red or solid black simmental would be discounted anywhere.quote]

"modern" solid red or black Simmentals, Jeanne? Now are those the ones produced by breeding Holstein into the breed? Or the ones with Angus? You ignored my question before; I'd really like to see your comment....
I would say not Frankie. I would say the ones with Holstein in them would have white udders and mule foot.

Frankie,
Hmm, I DID answer that question on one of the other threads - but I sure couldn't find it. Anyway, all I was trying to point out, was that "back in the late 60's & early 70's" many producers getting into the Simmental breed contracted Holstein dairies. They supplied the semen & got all the heifers at a preset price. They were the start of the black Simmentals because MOST beef farms (Angus) did not do any AI back than. And, yes, they came out tall & leggy & spotted. Just what they wanted back then. Angus has been the largest influence in our breed color through the years. Mostly because, Angus Simmental crosses are the best crosses possible. Now that should get people talking!
Our Macho bull's great, great maternal grandmother is 1/4 Angus. I didn't go back far enough to find anything in the sire side - but surely it goes back to Angus somewhere.

The latest US MARC research (Report #22) states that Simmental rank #1 in most economic traits among Continental breeds - and that Angus rank #1 in most economic traits among British breeds.
Therefore it is common sense to breed the #1 British with the #1 Continental breed.
I will list the rankings - the first placing is the Simmental , the 2nd is Angus:

Calving Ease First (tie) First
Weaning First First
%Choice First Second
Carcass Wt First First
Post Wean Gain First First
Pounds's of retail prod. Second First
Shear Force First (tie) First
Feed Efficiency by Wt Gain First Second
Feed Efficiency by Marbling First First
Feed Eff by Retail Products First Second
Feed Efficiency by Days Second Second
% Puberty First Second
% Pregnancy Second Third
Maternal Calving Ease First Second
Maternal Wean Weights Second First

Hope that made sense - didn't come out in columns like I had typed.
Now, this is info taken from an ASA report - data from MARC Report #22. I am trying to find out the other breeds involved & which was over these two breeds in the few catagories. I went to the MARC web site but didn't get anywhere. I'll call ASA today & see if I can get answers.
BUT, pretty impressive for the cross - don't you think? I have ALWAYS thought the two breeds complimented each other better than any other.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":c75oqnmh said:

Frankie,
Hmm, I DID answer that question on one of the other threads - but I sure couldn't find it. Anyway, all I was trying to point out, was that "back in the late 60's & early 70's" many producers getting into the Simmental breed contracted Holstein dairies. They supplied the semen & got all the heifers at a preset price. They were the start of the black Simmentals because MOST beef farms (Angus) did not do any AI back than. And, yes, they came out tall & leggy & spotted. Just what they wanted back then. Angus has been the largest influence in our breed color through the years. Mostly because, Angus Simmental crosses are the best crosses possible. Now that should get people talking!
Actually, what you said on the CAB poll thread that you posted was

"...There are many black Simmentals that may go back 30 years before you find any Angus genes. Now tell me how much influence the Angus has on these cattle..."

Now you're proud of the Angus influence in the Simmental herd. I merely wanted to point that out.

Jeanne said:
Frankie,
Our Macho bull's great, great maternal grandmother is 1/4 Angus. I didn't go back far enough to find anything in the sire side - but surely it goes back to Angus somewhere.

The latest US MARC research (Report #22) states that Simmental rank #1 in most economic traits among Continental breeds - and that Angus rank #1 in most economic traits among British breeds.
Therefore it is common sense to breed the #1 British with the #1 Continental breed.
I will list the rankings - the first placing is the Simmental , the 2nd is Angus:

Calving Ease First (tie) First
Weaning First First
%Choice First Second
Carcass Wt First First
Post Wean Gain First First
Pounds's of retail prod. Second First
Shear Force First (tie) First
Feed Efficiency by Wt Gain First Second
Feed Efficiency by Marbling First First
Feed Eff by Retail Products First Second
Feed Efficiency by Days Second Second
% Puberty First Second
% Pregnancy Second Third
Maternal Calving Ease First Second
Maternal Wean Weights Second First

Hope that made sense - didn't come out in columns like I had typed.
Now, this is info taken from an ASA report - data from MARC Report #22. I am trying to find out the other breeds involved & which was over these two breeds in the few catagories. I went to the MARC web site but didn't get anywhere. I'll call ASA today & see if I can get answers.
BUT, pretty impressive for the cross - don't you think? I have ALWAYS thought the two breeds complimented each other better than any other.

I'm not sure I understand, Jeanne. What "cross" are you talking about? I thought the ratings were for British and Continental breeds, not crosses of the breeds? :?:

Frankie wrote:
I'm not sure I understand, Jeanne. What "cross" are you talking about? I thought the ratings were for British and Continental breeds, not crosses of the breeds?

I meant it makes sense (to me) to use the top continental breed with the top british breed. They compliment each other very well. Always have, always will IMO
Actually it was just a good excuse to print those facts :shock: :D

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8280yd8h said:
Frankie wrote:
I'm not sure I understand, Jeanne. What "cross" are you talking about? I thought the ratings were for British and Continental breeds, not crosses of the breeds?

I meant it makes sense (to me) to use the top continental breed with the top british breed. They compliment each other very well. Always have, always will IMO
Actually it was just a good excuse to print those facts :shock: :D

Hey, I've always said a cross of Angus can do wonders for lots of cow herds. Apparently it can also improve entire breeds. :p

Latest posts