WHAT BREED TO START WITH

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez,
Knock on wood, I have never had but one Moma cow come after me while checking a New Born........My husband was always getting on metelling me to be more cautious. My oldest Grandson, who is normally very scared of the cows, had to help me dig a 2 day old calf out of the mud once.........I was worried about the Moma, guess she knew we were helping as she just stood and watched. Had to be done!

I know what you were saying about pet bulls, we kept the first Brahmans penned in a corral for a while, feeding twice a day and petting. This bull would nudge me in the back, scared at first, he wanted to be scratched. My son did not like these cows, but you could depend on them to lead the herd to the catch pen any time, because they came everytime they saw you. I sure cried when they sold him and Sambo.

I had a Jersy, I learned to milk a little, for motherless calves.........she helped raise her share for me. When I got her I had raised a Charlois heifer on a bottle she took it with hers and finished. When Son sold the herd she was raising her calf and two more.

Not knowing much, but we had a Hereford once, she had a fine first calf and raised another motherless calf, too. Such a small bag, must have been rich milk.....these were two beautiful calves. Her next calf only lived two weeks, Charlois Bull. Son sold her during my recuperating from my accident! I thought she should have another chance at calving.

Like I said. I have alot to learn and I know where I can get the help now.

Thank You! I will have very little help so I will do as advised I will start out with a few and as things get going and growing then I will add on. My pastures are already fenced and cross fenced with easy access from all of them to my catch pen.........I have all the equipment....tractors, cutters, balers, and trailers..........just no cows at the moment

Sherry":2v67x8c1 said:
We had a Brangus Bull one time, I did not like him as well as the Angus and Simmital.

Now your talking :D :D Couldn't resist - devil made me do.
I am a purebred Simmental breeder and think that Simmental X Angus are the best commercial cattle anyone could raise.

Sherry,
it sounds like you have a good plan mapped out. There are so many routes you could go.

The cheapest route would probably be to go with some hereford cows, a few brahmans and an angus bull.

Another option would be angus cows (will cost more than herefords more than likely) some brahmans and a hereford bull.

or since you like simmentals as well you could subsitute simmental for hereford in either scenario. i dont think you can go wrong with any of these crosses. good luck.

Jeanne.........at the time we had a lot of Charlois and Charolis X cows & to me that Simm Bull produced some fine calves. A Neighbor has a solid black one, only 10 cows, but beautiful calves

I see you are an Angus Man! I think Beefy gave me the right advice the Hereford, Brahman, and maybe some Angus cows with an Angus Bull to start. I am ready, I have missed my cows............they were fun more than work.

Latest posts