WHAT BREED TO START WITH

Help Support CattleToday:

Sherry

Reaction score
To begin with I found this forum yesterday and I can't quit reading.

I am originally a CITY GIRL and a Grandmother. We have 189 acres of land with plenty of water and 5 old chicken houses for hay barns. We did have some cows until my son and his banker ended that....A long story!

I am in the process of starting over on my own and have been trying to decide what breed I should go with. From all I have read I think I need Black Angus Bulls with Hereford Cows, I will have a few Brahmans, my favorite. We had a Bull I use to sit on!

I also have a small hay business to go with the farm.

Does anyone have any other suggestions breed wise?

Sherry":3t62ij43 said:
To begin with I found this forum yesterday and I can't quit reading.

I am originally a CITY GIRL and a Grandmother. We have 189 acres of land with plenty of water and 5 old chicken houses for hay barns. We did have some cows until my son and his banker ended that....A long story!

I am in the process of starting over on my own and have been trying to decide what breed I should go with. From all I have read I think I need Black Angus Bulls with Hereford Cows, I will have a few Brahmans, my favorite. We had a Bull I use to sit on!

I also have a small hay business to go with the farm.

Does anyone have any other suggestions breed wise?

Well Sherry, just to get the ball rollin for ya and to stir the pot, I'm gonna say to just make sure they're ALL black hided. :D

Good luck..........george

Rather than re-type this - I went back and copied it - pretty decent advice I think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all have our favourites - but who cares if you have a patchwork quilt of animals in the field - if they are solid, quiet animals with calves at side - well, be happy.

Go cheap. Go with pairs. Instant moms that are bred back. Go with quiet. Do not ask what breed, walk in amongst them before you buy - if they are gone like deer - then forget them. If they jump, fight or run you - run for your truck. If they load hard - run for your truck and leave. If they are not vet checked and preg checked - with you present - run for your truck and put your money away for another day. Go with mature to prevent calving probs and mothers who disown or kill their calves with starvation - not common, but it does happen. Go private - not sales barn - do not buy someone elses trouble. Tell the owner you WILL be back if there are problems that may have been hidden. Get all their records - herd health, vaccinations, dates of birth, and so on. If those records are not available - run for your truck.

Look up my thread - Ding! Dong! Brindles Dead - and avoid any brindles like crazy - no matter what the breed. Perhaps I am just superstitious?

Find an old hand in your area - have him go with you and look at at least 5 different outfits before you make up your mind - that way you have an idea of what you are up against. Bargain hard - know your price before you leave your own driveway and stick to it. Don't deviate - there are lots of animals out there for sale.

Have a good solid fence, some feed and water available when they show up at home - even quiet animals can become tornadoes for a day or two. If your area is small and poorly fenced, plan on searching for them for a couple of days before they settle in.

Regards

Bez

Hey Sherry,

Those Herefords sound like a good plan. Generally pretty docile and easy keeping besides. Black baldie calves usually do fairly well in most markets too, so you'll probably do well enough on your calves.

Best wishes in your new endeavour.

Take care

Thank each of you........I am scared to death, but got to proved to a spoiled, know it all son that I can do it. He wanted no advice or suggestions. We had a big fuss when he started feeding chicken litter. Had dead cows, partly too much protein. It does not matter I don't believe in it.

Chicken litter!!! :mad:

Cows eat grass/hay, grains, salt and maybe mineral. Keep that other excrement out of their bellies. Anyone who tells you different .... - well, I will be polite. I wouldn't want to eat that animal.

You working this alone? If so, I would suggest you start out with 5-10 animals unless you are well set up. Grow slowly. Cull hard and do not be afraid to sell any animal on the place - even your favourite - sooner or later, they all have to go down the road.

Bez.

Bez, I will have help, but basicly alone. I do have a good catch pen, with squeeze shoot, and loading area. I got a cow in a couple years ago that had lost a calf, by myself, and put a calf with her that had lost a mom, I was afraid when I left them all night the calf was not going to suck, but she had the scours the next morning! New Mom with New Baby. That is a happy sight.

Sherry":136h20j8 said:
Thank each of you........I am scared to death, but got to proved to a spoiled, know it all son that I can do it. He wanted no advice or suggestions. We had a big fuss when he started feeding chicken litter. Had dead cows, partly too much protein. It does not matter I don't believe in it.

Chicken litter!!!!! what was he thinkin! No wonder ya cows gave up the ghost !!!! Don't be scared Sherry. Just take it slow and easy and use sound judgement. If ya hay is good quality, that's a good part of the battle right there. Good luck!!!!!!!

george

Tip for you folks who aren't running so many that it can't be done:

Sometimes you never see a calf suck and maybe start to worry. Well, if it's alive it's probably sucking.

Wanna' be sure? Catch the old girl up and put food colouring on her tits. Calf cleans it off when it sucks.

Generally we just leave 'em on grass - if the calf goes down we gather it up and bottle feed. Then maybe toss MOM to the sale.

Good luck.

PM me any time.

Bez

Bez and CattleAnnie have said what I would have...only they said it better. Start small, especially if you will be doing most/all the work by yourself. So far that has worked for me. (Husband helps when I really need it.) I also have had a wonderful "mentor", who helps upon occasion.Follow your "gut instinct" it usually won't be wrong. Like the chicken litter deal...not good. Don't let anyone talk you into anything you feel isn't "right". Have fun and welcome the cattle world.

Katherine

I love the cows......we started with all registered Brahmans1 bull and 7 heifers all just weined, they became PETS. This was my basic learning in 1998 or 1999.........This is the bull that I would sit on and scratch, he would not lead, he would follow. We had a bull calf off him, SAMBO, just as gentle! Every animal is what you make it.

I just don't know how to tell each of you THANK YOU!!!!!!

Welcome!!!!!!
To start don't get a lot. Start small. Within a few years, you will have better instincts, and you will have a better understanding of what you will expect.

:D In a few years I might be too old, with nobody to care..........two yrs ago dropped a 1200lb roll of hay on me............the man upstairs was taking care of me..so I know all this was meant to be. I am here today for some reason! Just got to get it all together first.

Sherry, One bit of advice I would give you is to be careful with those pet bulls. I know when you raise them from birth and are around them all the time they can become great pets but bulls are bulls and are very unpredictable. More ranchers have been killed or injured by pet bulls than wild ones. Good Luck, Wish you luck

Bez":939lup78 said:
Wanna' be sure? Catch the old girl up and put food colouring on her tits. Calf cleans it off when it sucks.

Bez

Cagey old bugger ain,t you., :lol: :lol:

I do it different, I grab the calf,seat him on his rear with his head and feet leaning against your body.If he is getting enough to eat, his stomach will have a bulged out look.

Funny what a guy will come up with :lol: :lol:

Yup - sucking calf has a little ball in his stomach. You can actually feel it if you cup it with your hand. Look out for mom if it's a bawler!

But I am no longer as quick as I used to be - the cow may be tougher to handle in some cases, but I usually can catch them. And we are well set up to handle the big girls.

Those little devlis are like greased lightening. Ever notice how mom gets stirred up if you bother her calf? She never seems to get too excited if you go after her though.

This coloured tit thing is really good for the "nervous hobbyist". An older gentleman taught me this trick back when I was a kid - I was worried about a calf - back then I only had 5.

Now handling a big mob is nothing. Couple guys / gals, some good dogs, horses or quads and I am ready to go any distance.

I used to take all day to vaccinate 10. Now with our setup and the right crew we can run a couple hundred through with no prob. Sure seems like a long time ago that I had those 5 cows!

Cheers

Bez

Bez":c6jlrgwz said:
Yup - sucking calf has a little ball in his stomach. You can actually feel it if you cup it with your hand. Look out for mom if it's a bawler!

But I am no longer as quick as I used to be - the cow may be tougher to handle in some cases, but I usually can catch them. And we are well set up to handle the big girls.

Those little devlis are like greased lightening. Ever notice how mom gets stirred up if you bother her calf? She never seems to get too excited if you go after her though.

This coloured tit thing is really good for the "nervous hobbyist". An older gentleman taught me this trick back when I was a kid - I was worried about a calf - back then I only had 5.

Now handling a big mob is nothing. Couple guys / gals, some good dogs, horses or quads and I am ready to go any distance.

I used to take all day to vaccinate 10. Now with our setup and the right crew we can run a couple hundred through with no prob. Sure seems like a long time ago that I had those 5 cows!

Cheers

Bez

Bez you need to get a Hi-qual calf catch for catching them critters.It extends to about 10 ft or so_Only about 35.00, but is money well spent.

As for bawling calves., that just means you got to be real fast.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bye for now

Actually I have considered that - never knew anyone who owned one - you really like it?

As for fast - well just call me for dinner and see how fast I can go!

:)

Bez

Bez":2kf683cc said:
Actually I have considered that - never knew anyone who owned one - you really like it?

As for fast - well just call me for dinner and see how fast I can go!

:)

Bez

Yes I really like it. So do most of the guys in this area.I wish I had it when I first started.I use it as a walking stick at calving, so its right handy if i were to need it

Well I don,t miss too many meals either.