what breed to pick

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":11kgr0yr said:
la4angus":11kgr0yr said:
There shouldn't be any question of what to go with.

Sorry, La, I would have to disagree with this statement. Murray Grey's would be an excellent choice for Dpantoja. He would get the whole package - docility, minimal calving problems yet fast growth when they hit the ground, excellent maternal qualities, good milkers, easy to handle, good weaning weights, the ability to finish on grass, and - as an added bonus - very pretty to look at. Hard to beat that combination! ;-)

You go girl! ;-) :cboy: :D

la4angus":10mk6npt said:
msscamp":10mk6npt said:
la4angus":10mk6npt said:

Sorry, La, I would have to disagree with this statement. Murray Grey's would be an excellent choice for Dpantoja. He would get the whole package - docility, minimal calving problems yet fast growth when they hit the ground, excellent maternal qualities, good milkers, easy to handle, good weaning weights, the ability to finish on grass, and - as an added bonus - very pretty to look at. Hard to beat that combination! ;-)
The main problem with Murray Grey when putting a herd together it is hard to find any kind of numbers at one time to buy in close proximity.

How many do you need LA? I could probably fix you right up! ;-) :D :lol: :cboy:

msscamp":6w09jk1v said:
la4angus":6w09jk1v said:

Sounds just like a Red Poll to me :D :D

topsquar, the bulls posted for approval or disapproval on this website are, by and large, way below average. Check out the bid sales of Angus bulls on RFD tv if you want to see some good bulls. Their pics never get posted on here for one reason or another.

For those of you that don't know it, there is a region of Arizona to the North of the Grand Canyon that has a very mild climate. And good grazing. Not all of Az is a desert.

I run different crosses on each farm, I'm always changing bulls each year on my cows and i enjoy trying something different each year but I have to say the most profitable cross for me has been the angus/brangus cross cows on a char. bull. Those calves out grew the others by far and brought a preimum at the barn.

Look whats the most common in your area and do a little research. The real ranchers in your area are running that breed for a reason in the conditions it has to perform in. There is no perfect cow as some (angus breeders) would have you believe. Just better cows for different working enviroments.
What are looking for also ornamentals Longhorns/hairy version
Working Cattle British breeds/Brammers
Frilly breeds the Cont's Limmi's Simm's Char's.
Everthing has its niche.

buckaroo_bif":dfdyxw3u said:
DPANTOJA":dfdyxw3u said:
I am having trouble on what breed to pick I like Charolais and Angus any suggestions.

Go to the sale barns down in east Texass. Find the ugliest scrub hefrord bull you can find. Then get the sorriest morphidite mongoloid looking cows with the biggest ears you can find. Then you will be one of the most expert cattleman on the cattle today board and will have all the friends you would ever need.

For once bif you are correct. But even a blind hog will find an acorn once in awhile. I have come to the conclusion you are like teats on a boar hog serve no purpose.

sillco":vdvtw709 said:
la4angus":vdvtw709 said:
mtnman":vdvtw709 said:
Breeds that are not black will be better suited for Arizona. Those old black hides soak up too much heat.

Crossbred is best.

mtnman
Brangus is a crossbred.

Brangus is an American breed. See the attached site.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/brangus/
I know as well as you do what a brangus is. You can call it an american breed, which it is in name, but it is a cross between Angus and Brahman. 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman which makes it a crossbred.

mtnman":2fk806ha said:
Breeds that are not black will be better suited for Arizona. Those old black hides soak up too much heat.

Crossbred is best.

mtnman
cant argue with the crossbreed statement but will argue about the black breeds not being suited for az!
live there!!! near tucson!! 115 degrees for 20+ days not unheard of in the summer! angus,angus cross WHICH ARE BLACK do very well! sell well at the barns. and handle that heat well.
angus (both colors) brangus hereford limi's are the more popular breeds
murrey greys? do not see hardly any of them do not know why

a misconception about az is that it is all desert! a very wrong thought!
we actually get some snow occasionally down on the valley floor tucson and phx!
there is a snow ski resort on mt lemmon near tucson, and some other up in the flagstaff area
as stated previously az has a very diverse climate.
there are 4 main sale barns in the state flagstaff chandler marana willcox check them out and see what goes thru and sells best, i am usually at one or the other

Latest posts