what breed to pick

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Charolais might be better suited for the climates of Arizona. I know of a gentleman that raises charolais in southwestern Arizona, and apparently does very well with them.

Cant go wrong with Hereford or Angus. You can run them as purebreds/straightbreds and do ok at the market or you can cross them with darn near anything and end up with a decent animal.
Can also cross them with each other and make some black baldies which seem to be the hot combo right now.

There shouldn't be any question of what to go with. Go with Angus or Angus Plus bred to Angus. If you don't like the blacks you can go with Red Angus; just substitute the Red Angus for the Blacks, or go with Herfords for the super Baldies and substitute the Hereford for the Angus. Any combination of this should work like a champion, except I would stay away from the tiger stripes due to disposition.

I have learned a lot on this website, and one of the main things I can say I learned is look at what works in your area. I had never realized how important certain breeds are for different areas until I read thread on here.

Is it really hot in your part of Arizona? Look at what is working for your neighbors and or at the sale barn.

la4angus":143mf40v said:
There shouldn't be any question of what to go with. Go with Angus or Angus Plus bred to Angus.

Angus plus x back to Angus= waist of time, all our Angus cross and straight breed Angus calves weaned lighter, then our three way or euro cross calves weight diference 50 killograms in some cases. Breeders say " but we get more per kilo for our straight angus calves"= true but they weigh nothing. I would avoid angus genetics from the US, because the breeders in the US are trying to breed the perfect cow, which has made the US style Angus bull look terrible=no muscle, have a look at all the Angus bull photos posted in these forums they are terrible, get a good euro x Angus, Charolaise, limousin maine anjou, Gelbvieh. avoid straight breed Angus herds.

la4angus":1ml3bhwj said:
There shouldn't be any question of what to go with.

Sorry, La, I would have to disagree with this statement. Murray Grey's would be an excellent choice for Dpantoja. He would get the whole package - docility, minimal calving problems yet fast growth when they hit the ground, excellent maternal qualities, good milkers, easy to handle, good weaning weights, the ability to finish on grass, and - as an added bonus - very pretty to look at. Hard to beat that combination! ;-)

msscamp":ysi0u80x said:
la4angus":ysi0u80x said:
There shouldn't be any question of what to go with.

Sorry, La, I would have to disagree with this statement. Murray Grey's would be an excellent choice for Dpantoja. He would get the whole package - docility, minimal calving problems yet fast growth when they hit the ground, excellent maternal qualities, good milkers, easy to handle, good weaning weights, the ability to finish on grass, and - as an added bonus - very pretty to look at. Hard to beat that combination! ;-)
The main problem with Murray Grey when putting a herd together it is hard to find any kind of numbers at one time to buy in close proximity.

topsquar":3en5665b said:
I would avoid angus genetics from the US, because the breeders in the US are trying to breed the perfect cow, which has made the US style Angus bull look terrible=no muscle, have a look at all the Angus bull photos posted in these forums they are terrible.

We have our "Dee Dee Dee" award winner for the day.

topsquar":3j465xd6 said:
la4angus":3j465xd6 said:
There shouldn't be any question of what to go with. Go with Angus or Angus Plus bred to Angus.

look at all the Angus bull photos posted in these forums they are terrible, get a good euro x Angus, Charolaise, limousin maine anjou, Gelbvieh. avoid straight breed Angus herds.

I have saw some good looking Angus bulls posted. Lots of the pictures of the bad bulls are probably people that are not out there trying to find good bulls, or do not know how to pick them. Individuals giving $1,000.00 for a bull from a neighbor. They are by no means the measuring stick I would use to judge a breed by.

DPANTOJA":1jh0ajhy said:
I am having trouble on what breed to pick I like Charolais and Angus any suggestions.

Go to the sale barns down in east Texass. Find the ugliest scrub hefrord bull you can find. Then get the sorriest morphidite mongoloid looking cows with the biggest ears you can find. Then you will be one of the most expert cattleman on the cattle today board and will have all the friends you would ever need.

Breeds that are not black will be better suited for Arizona. Those old black hides soak up too much heat.

Crossbred is best.

mtnman

mtnman":2y8drheh said:
Breeds that are not black will be better suited for Arizona. Those old black hides soak up too much heat.

Crossbred is best.

mtnman
Brangus is a crossbred.

Latest posts