What Breed to breed the cows with. Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

1st choice = Angus
2nd choice = Hereford
3rd choice = Simmental
4th choice = Limousin

Wouldn't add more ear to the calf crop. Got plenty already. A good bull in any of the breeds above will do well on these cows.

Beefy
Thanks for stepping in for Mike. The thread just didn't seem right without that answer. :lol:

BC":35gyiiww said:
Iwould use a Red Angus. More heat tolerant and to me black is not all that beautiful.
I understand - however are you willing to accept a packer-buyer or order-buyer discount because black -to them - is beautiful? Like it - or not - that's what happens in lots of venues.

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

That is how it used to be, at least in our area, but anymore, the good ones bring $. The best sale I heard this year was Red Angus heifers. $1.55 for 555lbs. Haven't seen a black one do that. Maybe for average cattle black sell better. But I think we are all trying to have the best. Today I had a customer sell his calves and I gave him his feedlot and carcass info, (We bought them last year), and they sold for $3 higher than the average did. Buyers are at the point where they want quality and info, and they aren't looking at color as much anymore.

BRG":2z2wptsb said:
Doc,

That is how it used to be, at least in our area, but anymore, the good ones bring $. The best sale I heard this year was Red Angus heifers. $1.55 for 555lbs. Haven't seen a black one do that. Maybe for average cattle black sell better. But I think we are all trying to have the best. Today I had a customer sell his calves and I gave him his feedlot and carcass info, (We bought them last year), and they sold for $3 higher than the average did. Buyers are at the point where they want quality and info, and they aren't looking at color as much anymore.

It's getting more and more this way here too, since every other breed is going black. I was talking to a couple of buyers the other day who are afraid of the current baldy heifers because the black part could be most anything but angus. They were hunting buckskins to breed back to angus for a customer.

BRG":2ok9si4z said:
Doc,

BRG - Now - to me that is great news! And I think that has happened in the last 18 months or two years! The common sense "Order of Nature" sooner or later sets everything in proper perspective, and QUALITY SUPERCEDES COLOR. Beef producers are not selling "Cute" or "Color". The BUSINESS or PRODUCT is Market Quality Edible Beef! If it takes an animal with a black coat to achieve that end - so be it. If another 'color' can produce the desirable end product -Fine. If a producer will really think about it, - EPD's are color blind! I've said many times, "Don't be Barn Blind." It is not wise to let one's prejudices influence realism.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

I know of a top herd that just recently sold a load of just weaned calves, BWF's straight bred Herf's. The Herf's were 4 wts and the BWF were 5 wts. The 5 wt BWF bring an avg. of $.13 CWT more than basically equal quality 4 wt Herf's. This exaample should show what kind of bull to be using on your commercial Herf. cows, except for ones that you want to have replacement WF hfrs. from to keep a commercial Herf. herd to have the best to cross with Angus.
BTW all the calves were green having been on the same short grass for the past several mo. and are of the same choice quality.

There is no doubt about it, there are 2 best breeds, only one is more popular than the other, and they are Angus and Herefords.

la4angus":p29xtyht said:
I know of a top herd that just recently sold a load of just weaned calves, BWF's straight bred Herf's. The Herf's were 4 wts and the BWF were 5 wts. The 5 wt BWF bring an avg. of $.13 CWT more than basically equal quality 4 wt Herf's. This exaample should show what kind of bull to be using on your commercial Herf. cows, except for ones that you want to have replacement WF hfrs. from to keep a commercial Herf. herd to have the best to cross with Angus.
BTW all the calves were green having been on the same short grass for the past several mo. and are of the same choice quality.

There is no doubt about it, there are 2 best breeds, only one is more popular than the other, and they are Angus and Herefords.

I like Herefords but I agree. Unless your goal is to produce straight Herf replacement heifers; you SHOULD be crossing those whiteface cows to something and my preference is Angus. Likewise I think most straigthbred Angus commercial Herds would gain from a good Herf bull. 40 years of research has proven that heterosis is REAL and most commercial cattlemen SHOULD be trying to use it.

Even better Brandon, ;-) would be to put the right Char bull on those herf heifers and get some good "Buckskins".

Then.............come back on the resulting heifers with an angus. 1/2 Angus calves out of a buckskin cow are awesome!

One of the best, longest lasting cows here was an Angus sired cow out of a Charolais/Hereford cross cow. Either of those are good crosses.

I run angus bulls but I got a wild hair and bought a top of the line herford bull to run on some of my brangus cows and those black white faced baldies broke the bank. I also kept a few heifers that I'll cross back with my angus. I also belive that my calves growth exceeded that of my angus bull.

Latest posts