What breed is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":3dxvw6po said:
the eartagless one looks eared to me. he doesnt have much-- i'd say less than 1/4 probably. the two to the left (his right) look like they have limousin in them to me. since the photos were obviously taken within a few minutes i dont think we can really determine if this calf is ill or not and we certainly cant see enough of him to tell much about his quality. the fact that he is tagless to me suggests he might have come from a different herd than the others, not that he is going to die.
You have only had a few minutes in between pictures so you really can't determine the calfs health or quality. Well I hate to break the bad news to you but when 84 head of 6 weights run into the ring you have less time than a couple minutes too look them ALL over for quality and health. A person needs to first look for the most obvious indication of illness. The droopy ears, then the hanging head, then for the arched back. This calf standing still exhibits 2 of 3 put on top of that it is without an ear tag in a pen of ear tagged cattle. Different herd or not it appears this individual ear tags thier calves. Different color tags to me indicates the sex maybe I'm wrong about that. But the facts don't change the calf is of lower quality than the others and assuming what a person can from a glance without any history of the animals I look at these cattle and see one non ear tagged, droopy eared, head hagging calf, carrying less flesh much different than the others it has been penned with to me a POS. If you can't see that you would never be an order buyer for me. Also I will bet my life savings this calf will die.

somn":3dmy5v7r said:
A person needs to first look for the most obvious indication of illness. The droopy ears, then the hanging head, then for the arched back. This calf standing still exhibits 2 of 3 put on top of that it is without an ear tag in a pen of ear tagged cattle. the calf is of lower quality than the others and assuming what a person can from a glance without any history of the animals I look at these cattle and see one non ear tagged, droopy eared, head hagging calf, carrying less flesh much different than the others it has been penned with to me a POS. Also I will bet my life savings this calf will die.

Agreed. And just by looking at the pic a bit more carefully this time I notice his eyes. They don't seem very bright, they look a little dull, on top of the head-hanging, droopy eared, non-alert symptom of some sickness. It's kinda hard to see, but his back does look a little arched, but that's just a guess.

somn":8n7yg890 said:
Beefy":8n7yg890 said:
the eartagless one looks eared to me. he doesnt have much-- i'd say less than 1/4 probably. the two to the left (his right) look like they have limousin in them to me. since the photos were obviously taken within a few minutes i dont think we can really determine if this calf is ill or not and we certainly cant see enough of him to tell much about his quality. the fact that he is tagless to me suggests he might have come from a different herd than the others, not that he is going to die.
You have only had a few minutes in between pictures so you really can't determine the calfs health or quality. Well I hate to break the bad news to you but when 84 head of 6 weights run into the ring you have less time than a couple minutes too look them ALL over for quality and health. A person needs to first look for the most obvious indication of illness. The droopy ears, then the hanging head, then for the arched back. This calf standing still exhibits 2 of 3 put on top of that it is without an ear tag in a pen of ear tagged cattle. Different herd or not it appears this individual ear tags thier calves. Different color tags to me indicates the sex maybe I'm wrong about that. But the facts don't change the calf is of lower quality than the others and assuming what a person can from a glance without any history of the animals I look at these cattle and see one non ear tagged, droopy eared, head hagging calf, carrying less flesh much different than the others it has been penned with to me a POS. If you can't see that you would never be an order buyer for me. Also I will bet my life savings this calf will die.

I hate to break the news to you but all of thoes calves are going to die ;-) But if you care to put a time frame to it we could work up a wager! If you all think this calf is on deaths door I would say the cattle herd in this country would be a whole lot smaller than it is now :roll:

mwj":1ok7eare said:
somn":1ok7eare said:
Beefy":1ok7eare said:

I hate to break the news to you but all of thoes calves are going to die ;-) But if you care to put a time frame to it we could work up a wager! If you all think this calf is on deaths door I would say the cattle herd in this country would be a whole lot smaller than it is now :roll:
You didn't break any news to me It took longer than I thought it would for someone to catch what I said though.

judging from the pictures as a whole it appears the third picture was taken first, then the second. the only things that changed in that time period was the calf on the far left (our far left)in the last picture was deathly ill (had its head down) and then in pic two he was magically well again (head up). a miracle! the calf next to the eared tagless calf took a step up while another calf turned its head to look straight at the camera. in a ring the cattle are moving around and you can normally see more than just the animals head to judge its quality. while i agree with you that the calf is going to die at some point, i dont think that that is the reason he doesnt have an eartag. i dont think the owner expects him to die before he is sold as you said to begin with. and i dont think we can see enough of the calf in these pictures to say anything about his quality.

i guess Rustler said it best:
I guess we don't really know if the calf is sick or if it has Brahman influence. There's not that much to see of the calf in the photo.

Wow, I didn't know this thread would be so popular. I guess I should shed some light on the cow pics, maybe it will help. They were kind of spooked because my 3 yr. old kept yelling at them and running toward the fence. Also, my wife was laughing really loud so that might have influenced some of their moves. Just letting y'all know what was going on for them to hear and see.

Beefy":1z2g7ar6 said:
judging from the pictures as a whole it appears the third picture was taken first, then the second. the only things that changed in that time period was the calf on the far left (our far left)in the last picture was deathly ill (had its head down) and then in pic two he was magically well again (head up). a miracle! the calf next to the eared tagless calf took a step up while another calf turned its head to look straight at the camera. in a ring the cattle are moving around and you can normally see more than just the animals head to judge its quality. while i agree with you that the calf is going to die at some point, i dont think that that is the reason he doesnt have an eartag. i dont think the owner expects him to die before he is sold as you said to begin with. and i dont think we can see enough of the calf in these pictures to say anything about his quality.

i guess Rustler said it best:
I guess we don't really know if the calf is sick or if it has Brahman influence. There's not that much to see of the calf in the photo.

Well that explains it then we must both have 2 different sets of pictures that we are looking at. The calf on the far left in the last picture of your set of pictures you say is deathly ill. In my last picture that calf is fine. In my set of pictures the same calf (the third from my right with no eartags) has droopy ears, its hanging its head down and carries less flesh. Here I was thinking you had a hard time spotting poor quality and or sick calves and it is just a matter of you having a different set of pictures than me.

novatech":3pcebm6j said:
See that white stuff. That means it cold. If these things had any Inducs in them they would be shaken so bad this picture would just be a blur. No ear, no hump, no shake, = no brahman.
don't know where you folks come up with alot of this stuff the purebred brangus 3/8-5/8 version can grow enough hair to fair in that type weather just fine. without shaking weight off

I have one that looks like the droopy one in the middle. She is by far the low cow on the totem pole and always looks miserable and depressed. Although she is the tallest, she probably weighs 200 lbs less than the others. I wanted to cull her from day one but my mentor, the vet, and the county agent all said wait and see, she didn't look that bad to them and sometimes those little skinny ones turn out to be the best calvers. So, just to see what my instincts are, I've kept her. She is due to calve next Monday and is the only one who is not starting to bag yet, in fact she doesn't even look pregnant to me. I actually witnessed her breeding so I should be pretty close on the due date. We'll see what happens but my guess is she's on the truck by the end of March. Either way I win. I will either get a nice calf or I will be more trusting of my instincts.

Rustler9":3hji5f0m said:
The fourth one from the left (the one with it's head down) appears to have Brahman influence from the ear. Probably Brangus, the others look to be black Limos. I guess this is one of the reasons why I'm not so much into black every thing. Every one preaches black but then they don't know what breed they're looking at, only that it's black. Not that I'm down on black, but is it all there is?

Seems like the restraunts like to advertise black angus. We have black and red. With the hide off, can you tell a difference?

we have some black angus x limousin and those there should do look like that. the are black but still have kind of a redish hint in their coat.

and that one deffenetly looks sick