What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":q3fajz4h said:
skyhightree1":q3fajz4h said:
True Grit Farms":q3fajz4h said:
I'm afraid your out of luck Sky, I don't imagine your pizza parlor carries those toppings.

:lol: TG what do you think about us becoming business partners and we open a pizza parlor that carries ingredients such as that ? I can come up with a great business plan :lol:

My dad always said "if you won't eat it yourself, don't serve it" so I think I'm out Sky.
the real problem with going into a food business with sky is that he would eat everything! (Since I would have the same problem I don't think we should go in together!)

skyhightree1":2aw26b7b said:
millstreaminn":2aw26b7b said:

Just back from Cambodia. Just a sample of the bugs I ate. If you can get past what you are eating are bugs, they are actually really good. The crickets for example tasted like potato chips with a hint of shrimp. :D

Do you plan on continuing that diet now that you are back?

I would, but its pretty hard to find wild scorpions in Pennsylvania. :)

ez14.":36151knk said:
True Grit Farms":36151knk said:
skyhightree1":36151knk said:
:lol: TG what do you think about us becoming business partners and we open a pizza parlor that carries ingredients such as that ? I can come up with a great business plan :lol:

My dad always said "if you won't eat it yourself, don't serve it" so I think I'm out Sky.
the real problem with going into a food business with sky is that he would eat everything! (Since I would have the same problem I don't think we should go in together!)

Good point TGF AND EZ14

millstreaminn":36151knk said:
skyhightree1":36151knk said:
millstreaminn":36151knk said:

Just back from Cambodia. Just a sample of the bugs I ate. If you can get past what you are eating are bugs, they are actually really good. The crickets for example tasted like potato chips with a hint of shrimp. :D

Do you plan on continuing that diet now that you are back?

I would, but its pretty hard to find wild scorpions in Pennsylvania. :)

:lol:

Tried some chocolate covered ants about 55 years ago and haven't had the slightest yearning for any other sort of insect cuisine since that day.

ga.prime":n0hl4d7h said:
Tried some chocolate covered ants about 55 years ago and haven't had the slightest yearning for any other sort of insect cuisine since that day.

Were those the ones wrapped in foil like bouillon cubes? If so, I ate those - or one of them too. Did the crickets too. Not bad really but ....

Jogeephus":34cct31m said:
ga.prime":34cct31m said:

Were those the ones wrapped in foil like bouillon cubes? If so, I ate those - or one of them too. Did the crickets too. Not bad really but ....
Yes! Those are the ones, wrapped in foil. Tasted exactly like ants. My grandma brought a box of them to me and my brother from somewhere, probably Stuckeys. She didn't know they were really ants. She also brought some chocolate covered grasshoppers which owing to my bad experience with the ants I did not try, but my brother might have. I'll ask him next time I see him.

ga.prime":3n4s8gvr said:
Jogeephus":3n4s8gvr said:
ga.prime":3n4s8gvr said:

Yes! Those are the ones, wrapped in foil. Tasted exactly like ants. My grandma brought a box of them to me and my brother from somewhere, probably Stuckeys. She didn't know they were really ants. She also brought some chocolate covered grasshoppers which owing to my bad experience with the ants I did not try, but my brother might have. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Watch for 2 minutes:
https://youtu.be/XouBDP_WGDc?list=PL1PZ ... zhZ&t=1106

Tarantula with dipping sauce. Was pretty good, the abdomen was a little juicy and chewy though. I did eat 2 while I was there.

This was the most difficult "mind over matter" food I tried. Balut. 20 day old fertilized duck egg with the duckling inside. After a few Ankor beers I ordered 6 to share with the Cambodians I was with. They were surprisingly good and I ended up eating 2 and the other guys ate the remaining 4. Tasted like Vienna Sausages.

millstreaminn":2stj8ers said:

This was the most difficult "mind over matter" food I tried. Balut. 20 day old fertilized duck egg with the duckling inside. After a few Ankor beers I ordered 6 to share with the Cambodians I was with. They were surprisingly good and I ended up eating 2 and the other guys ate the remaining 4. Tasted like Vienna Sausages.
brings back some memories of the bad old days. I declined the offer to try them and don't regret it.

Millstreamin, I commend you on your adventurous palette but I think I'd have to draw the line at the Balut unless your idea of a few beers is much more conservative than mine. I've eaten some weird stuff before but I just don't know if I could go there unless I had numerous beers and a few large shots of tequila with a bourbon chaser.

Jogeephus":zxhwjn2w said:
Millstreamin, I commend you on your adventurous palette but I think I'd have to draw the line at the Balut unless your idea of a few beers is much more conservative than mine. I've eaten some weird stuff before but I just don't know if I could go there unless I had numerous beers and a few large shots of tequila with a bourbon chaser.

Come on Joe, you know I still have your mailing address! I'll need 20 days to get these duck eggs incubated then I'll send you out a batch. You have plenty of time to stock up on beer and whiskey.

millstreaminn":2rijk2wg said:
Jogeephus":2rijk2wg said:

Come on Joe, you know I still have your mailing address! I'll need 20 days to get these duck eggs incubated then I'll send you out a batch. You have plenty of time to stock up on beer and whiskey.

:lol: :lol: It may take at least 20 days for me to consume enough whiskey to whet my appetite. :lol: :lol:

There must be something to the balut because believe it or not, my dog made his own only with chicken eggs. I have chickens in the barnyard and one day I noticed my dog standing in the gravel drive looking intently at the gravel. He would take his paw and ever so gently remove rocks and and dirt with the care of an archeologist. Puzzled, I watched him and before long he unearthed an egg - or rather the top half of it. There it lay sticking out of the bowl he had excavated. He then took his paw and broke the top of it and began eating the contents of the egg. How the egg didn't get smashed in the drive is as puzzling as how he knew to bury the egg and how he knew many days later where he had buried the egg. Very puzzling but one thing is for sure he was a happy dog after eating his own free range paw-crafted chicken balut. :lol:

Latest posts