What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw today, they have begun making a small mud/grass dam on the channel that keeps my pond at a manageable level. Didn't have any tools with me, so I just kicked a hole in it, but I'm sure they'll have it fixed by morning. It'll get a connibear tomorrow.

greybeard":20ooe4qa said:
I saw today, they have begun making a small mud/grass dam on the channel that keeps my pond at a manageable level. Didn't have any tools with me, so I just kicked a hole in it, but I'm sure they'll have it fixed by morning. It'll get a connibear tomorrow.

They are fun aren't they?! ;-)

I'm in a pizzing match with a grown bull beaver. He's trap wise and keeps tripping the traps. He's chewed through three aircraft cable snares, broke a carabiner and carried off a leghold and the other day I caught him with another leg hold trap and a 220 conibear set as a foothold and the pulled free of both these traps and left them in a tangled mess with the cables nearly chewed in two. A 330 would do the trick but he's trap wise and avoids them like the plague. I've upped the game and have two drowning sets set up using #5 legholds but he hasn't been back yet. I hope all this rain gets him stirring around again because I want his hide.

Jogeephus":vbpt3da7 said:
Water rat.

27751477_1831633947134496_1335669869420594523_n.jpg

looks good i see that brew sitting there with you... :D

Jogeephus":227sfhdi said:
greybeard":227sfhdi said:

They are fun aren't they?! ;-)

I'm in a pizzing match with a grown bull beaver. He's trap wise and keeps tripping the traps. He's chewed through three aircraft cable snares, broke a carabiner and carried off a leghold and the other day I caught him with another leg hold trap and a 220 conibear set as a foothold and the pulled free of both these traps and left them in a tangled mess with the cables nearly chewed in two. A 330 would do the trick but he's trap wise and avoids them like the plague. I've upped the game and have two drowning sets set up using #5 legholds but he hasn't been back yet. I hope all this rain gets him stirring around again because I want his hide.
Mine are pretty young I think. I found a little short narrow dam they had constructed and kicked a hole in it with my boot a few days ago and figured they'd rebuild it overnight like the other times but it was still running water yesterday. Today tho, when I went down with a shovel to demolish it, found it was plugged back up.
I dug it completely out. We'll see what happens the next few nights since we're supposed to have good weather for a couple days.

This is pretty recent and right next to that little dam. Sweetgum sapling. If they'd cut the small tallow trees that are all around that area too, I'd let them be, but they won't touch them.
I can't spray there because that water runs right into the river about 100 yards away.

Yeah if we could just get them to eat what we wanted them to eat and dig where we wanted them to dig beavers would be an asset.

I concluded my nemesis beaver is not a beaver but a gator. Pictured are two drowning rigs and as you can see one is missing its snap link and its trap. Based on game cam video one of these caught a coon and it drowned then a few hours later something came and rippled the water and took the coon and the trap and broke the snap link which is supposed to hold 240 lbs. It stole my trap!

28166316_1833547153609842_1846692894029332290_n.jpg

A water graboid..
Dang. That's impressively depressing. Traps ain't cheap and rigs are time consuming. (It's why I gave up on snares altogether)

Or, You have, an aquatic assquatch!!

Jogeephus":3bcu0mv3 said:
Yeah if we could just get them to eat what we wanted them to eat and dig where we wanted them to dig beavers would be an asset.

I concluded my nemesis beaver is not a beaver but a gator. Pictured are two drowning rigs and as you can see one is missing its snap link and its trap. Based on game cam video one of these caught a coon and it drowned then a few hours later something came and rippled the water and took the coon and the trap and broke the snap link which is supposed to hold 240 lbs. It stole my trap!

28166316_1833547153609842_1846692894029332290_n.jpg
I thought I just heard yesterday that a 240 won't break? That's a stout looking setup.

greybeard":ydl5hw14 said:
A water graboid..
Dang. That's impressively depressing. Traps ain't cheap and rigs are time consuming. (It's why I gave up on snares altogether)

Or, You have, an aquatic assquatch!!

You are right. I'm out $40 on traps because of this assquatch and I just wish I'd caught it on the camera to see exactly what it is but I'm pretty sure its a gator. I'd like to see how big it is though. I still can't see how it broke the snap link like it did.

True Grit Farms":ydl5hw14 said:
I thought I just heard yesterday that a 240 won't break? That's a stout looking setup.

The 220 I caught him on earlier this week held as did the #4 leghold its just I had long lined it and it wrapped around the brush and pulled its feet out of them. What happened here was the thing either bit the snap link in two or pulled hard enough to break it. Now I have some sort of animal walking around in the swamp wearing my $20 trap like a bracelet. He'll be easy enough to id when I see him though. :lol2:

I did retaliate yesterday. I viewed this act as crossing the line I'd drawn in the mud and called in a few airstrikes to let it be known I will not tolerate such thievery. Here is one photo of the retribution. The water is still flowing good this morning so maybe they got the message.

mwj":3eywdd2w said:
Jo do you save the castor from those beavers? It is the most valuable thing on a beaver! :nod:

I do but I've been making lure with them. I heard you can sell them but I don't know how to go about doing that. Any idea what they are paying for them?

Latest posts