What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

NeCowboy, here is a lard biscuit. Same recipe I posted only lard is substituted for butter. I think you can see how much fluffier this biscuit is than the butter biscuit. These are so light and fluffy they are best used with things like jelly or gravy. If you are planning on filling them with ham or sausage the butter biscuit would be a better choice I think but I'm really splitting hairs here.

13924900_892137984225522_2990194467939525863_n.jpg

Here was what I figure to be my $0.99 breakfast and I've skipped lunch and think I might even skip supper. Biscuit with plum jelly, biscuit with bacon gravy, cherry smoked pepper bacon thanks to Clarice, eggs from the chickens I got at the feed store for next to nothing and some hash browns. I figure my biggest cost in all this was the chicken feed. Somehow I think my buddy got the best of me on the deal but dang those biddies were too cheap to pass up and I still can't figure how he bested me but I feel he did. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

13892188_892137957558858_48455718802265178_n.jpg

Jogeephus":rl2gr2g0 said:
1982vett":rl2gr2g0 said:
What's under the cheese and ketchup?
Jogge ..... Wish I'd got here before sky responded. Was going to say it looks like cheese under the ketchup.. :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't put it past him.

Sky, you really need to start making your own cheese. I don't think you should do aged cheese though because I doubt you would let it sit that long.

Jo I meant to ask you can I make cheddar and not age it?

NeCowboy, here is a lard biscuit. Same recipe I posted only lard is substituted for butter. I think you can see how much fluffier this biscuit is than the butter biscuit. These are so light and fluffy they are best used with things like jelly or gravy. If you are planning on filling them with ham or sausage the butter biscuit would be a better choice I think but I'm really splitting hairs here.

Here was what I figure to be my $0.99 breakfast and I've skipped lunch and think I might even skip supper. Biscuit with plum jelly, biscuit with bacon gravy, cherry smoked pepper bacon thanks to Clarice, eggs from the chickens I got at the feed store for next to nothing and some hash browns. I figure my biggest cost in all this was the chicken feed. Somehow I think my buddy got the best of me on the deal but dang those biddies were too cheap to pass up and I still can't figure how he bested me but I feel he did. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Mighty fine looking plate you got there Jo

Sky, yes you can make it without aging it but it would be best pasteurize the milk first since you won't have the time to cure any possible baddies. You could easily make it in the morning and be eating it the next day.

Jogeephus":2chacn6n said:
Sky, yes you can make it without aging it but it would be best pasteurize the milk first since you won't have the time to cure any possible baddies. You could easily make it in the morning and be eating it the next day.

Thanks since it needs to be pasteurized could I use store bought milk?

skyhightree1":2zw9ujkd said:
Jogeephus":2zw9ujkd said:

Pretty sure you can but I think your yield will suffer some. I always use fresh milk myself. There is nothing to pasteurizing milk. With as much cheese as you eat your really need a milk cow and a pasteurizer. If you had this stuff you could have a steady supply of cheese which I doubt even you could eat it all and once you get a supply built up just take the surplus and start aging it so you can have some really fine cheeses.

Jogeephus":1rmd3iu3 said:
skyhightree1":1rmd3iu3 said:
Jogeephus":1rmd3iu3 said:

Pretty sure you can but I think your yield will suffer some. I always use fresh milk myself. There is nothing to pasteurizing milk. With as much cheese as you eat your really need a milk cow and a pasteurizer. If you had this stuff you could have a steady supply of cheese which I doubt even you could eat it all and once you get a supply built up just take the surplus and start aging it so you can have some really fine cheeses.

Thanks I'm looking for a dairy cow currently. I been looking for a goat and cow milker there high

Jogeephus":2rxolnba said:

Joe if you lived a little closer you would never have to eat breakfast by yourself. I'd even pay good money for a meal like that :tiphat: AND buy the chicken feed.

True Grit Farms":3r62hdy3 said:
I'd like to see some pictures of Wilbur in use, it's like he's been put out to pasture or something.

Too hot for Wilbur at the moment. Actually, Wilbur needs a new home if you are interested. I have Wilbur II and Wilbur III so if you are interested I'll make you a deal better than the deal I got on those chicks. You can even come by and we'll cook some BBQ with it so you can see how it does but you need to bring your trailer because you'll be wanting it for sure.

JMJ Farms, you'd be more than welcome and forget the money just chick feed would be more than enough. I think I'm feeding every skunk and weasel in the county because my eggs keep disappearing and that's really throwing my cost of production out of whack. I really need to set a snare but its just been so hot or I've been so lazy or both.

Thanks Joe I appreciate your hospitality. Maybe one day I really can break bread with you. And I think I would probably like to meet Wilbur myself!

Jogeephus":19pmytkz said:

Jo what's your opinion on shortening? I use it in chicken and dumplings. What a beautiful biscuit lard is the best!!

Sorry didn't look at rest, meal looks good!

NECowboy":318kiy84 said:
Jo what's your opinion on shortening? I use it in chicken and dumplings. What a beautiful biscuit lard is the best!!

I've used Crisco and done well with it. Just keep things cold to keep from smearing and you will get a great rise. The lard biscuits are almost cake-like.

I'm still not hungry from that meal. :lol2:

Jogeephus":r43kuo3z said:
NECowboy":r43kuo3z said:
Lunch at becks in calabash nc, I got around today!

I've eaten there I think. Isn't Beck's right beside the docks?

No it's in town it's a mainstay though and then right across the street is the Christmas store so stocked up on gamecock ornaments! Have u ever been to Helen ga Christmas store too much bulldawg merchandise though yuck...! :yuck:

NECowboy":1cy5s65u said:
No it's in town it's a mainstay though and then right across the street is the Christmas store so stocked up on gamecock ornaments! Have u ever been to Helen ga Christmas store too much bulldawg merchandise though yuck...! :yuck:

I try to stay away from Helen and those touristy places. I may have Beck's mixed up with another place but I know I've eaten there before. I remember the name. Those were my old stomping grounds but memories are rather blurred for various reasons.

hillbilly beef man":3f9qs1xs said:
NECowboy":3f9qs1xs said:
Melvins bbq in mt pleasant sc, very so so should have gone to Sweatmans!

You were at Mt Plesant and did not eat at The Wreck? At least you made up for it at Becks. I like Colemans nearly as good.

Nope what are wreck and colemans, seafood?

Latest posts