OhioRiver

Reaction score
BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING: ALL SAME SIZE AND AGE

RED ANGUS WEANED CALF
BLACK ANGUS WEANED CALF
CHAROLAIS WEANED CALF
HEREFORD WEANED CALF
BLACK BALDIE WEANED CALF

In my part of Tx. all ya gotta do is drive around the country, and all ya see is black cattle grazing in the pastures.
Took some calves to the sale barn yesterday and about all ya seen was black.Took 30 between 500 to 700lbs and all were black.

Cal

If they were all the same age, they will not be the same weight. The Charolais will be heavier on average, and have a larger check to take home.

CSM

Pink nosed white charolais bring a little above red limis but both bring considerable less per Lb than a black, lowest is straight Herford or Simmi. Smokes bring almost the same as blacks and I see lots of black Simmis and Limmis bought as Angus X. We run colored cows with purebred Angus bulls. Still at the sale barn we have calves classified as fancy. Bigger size lots bring more per lb. Now I would say unweaned, unvaccinated, and not bunk broke bring a discount rather than CPH bring preimum. The new Angus Source rules for the smokes is going to help me. Records have considerable value now at the sale barn, I have e-mailed mine on with the cattle and gotten repeat buyers by notifiying them when mine will sell next time. If they can better their chance of high IMF more money.

We sold 607 head this week. Not much interest on 300# calves and down, 350# calves and up were in good demand. Yearlings in good demand, weigh cows and bulls were steady.

SPECIAL WEANED CALF SALE January 17th, 2008 (MUST BE WEANED BY DEC 5TH)

NO SALE ON December 27, 2007 and January 3, 2008..

See you next week, Sonny Shores

WE WILL BE CLOSED DECEMBER 24, 2007 THRU JANUARY 4, 2008.

New Mexico cattle need an AZ permit, Please call 602-542-4283 to get one

the table didn't show, scroll down to see table of quality stuff sold last week http://www.willcoxlivestockauction.com/ ... arket.html

previous week: http://www.willcoxlivestockauction.com/ ... vious.html

two weeks ago:http://www.willcoxlivestockauction.com/willcoxlivestockauction/html/previous2.html

Hippie Rancher":k3k99uih said:
We sold 607 head this week. Not much interest on 300# calves and down, 350# calves and up were in good demand. Yearlings in good demand,

Historically, the lighter the calf the higher the price per pound; but (HISTORICALLY) corn was often below $2 a bushel. Light calves PAID because you could put 800-900 lbs of weight on them with cheap grain. Now that grain (and hay) has doubled (or more) there is not nearly as much profit in buying 300 lb calves and getting them on grain early. It is too early to make predictions like this; but if this trend continues I think it will definitely pay to get as many pounds as possible on your calves before marketing.

BLACK BALDIE WEANED CALF
BLACK ANGUS WEANED CALF
RED ANGUS WEANED CALF
HEREFORD WEANED CALF
CHAROLAIS WEANED CALF

This is the order of pricing i would expect to see. I imagine it is a bit different depending on where you are and who is buying.

CattleHand":2ax9nyjt said:
BLACK BALDIE WEANED CALF
BLACK ANGUS WEANED CALF
RED ANGUS WEANED CALF
HEREFORD WEANED CALF
CHAROLAIS WEANED CALF

This is the order of pricing i would expect to see. I imagine it is a bit different depending on where you are and who is buying.
That's about right here in Texas.

Do you mean wean weight or yearling per se on this?

Brandonm2":2f0xdnod said:
Hippie Rancher":2f0xdnod said:
We sold 607 head this week. Not much interest on 300# calves and down, 350# calves and up were in good demand. Yearlings in good demand,

Historically, the lighter the calf the higher the price per pound; but (HISTORICALLY) corn was often below $2 a bushel. Light calves PAID because you could put 800-900 lbs of weight on them with cheap grain. Now that grain (and hay) has doubled (or more) there is not nearly as much profit in buying 300 lb calves and getting them on grain early. It is too early to make predictions like this; but if this trend continues I think it will definitely pay to get as many pounds as possible on your calves before marketing.

OhioRiver":28n3gefk said:

I am talking about weaning weight. For years it has been a little frustrating too bring 6 weight calves to the barn and see the 4 weight calf out of the latest breeding cow in the herd bring the most actual money. A lot of people wean their calves at ~400 lbs knowing that price per pound is high at that wt and they won't have to push their home grass as hard carrying dry cows instead of pairs. I am just theorizing here, but high grain price MAY lead to a greater emphasis being put on pounds.

Brandonm2":3d15olcy said:
OhioRiver":3d15olcy said:

I am talking about weaning weight. For years it has been a little frustrating too bring 6 weight calves to the barn and see the 4 weight calf out of the latest breeding cow in the herd bring the most actual money. A lot of people wean their calves at ~400 lbs knowing that price per pound is high at that wt and they won't have to push their home grass as hard carrying dry cows instead of pairs. I am just theorizing here, but high grain price MAY lead to a greater emphasis being put on pounds.

I've got friends who wean at 350-400# because the price per pound is so much more.

Brandonm2":2qkeuymq said:
OhioRiver":2qkeuymq said:

I had 4 heifer orders Saturday:
A little thin heifer weigh about 275 for under $0.90
A 375 to 425 weight #1 1/2 heifer for $0.95 or under
A 475 lb thin grazing heifer for $0.95 or under
A 530 lb #1` feeder heifer for $0.95 or less.

I personally bought some feeder heifers that averaged 607.5 lbs and cost $86.45 per cwt.

BC":22v0b4y0 said:
Brandonm2":22v0b4y0 said:

I personally bought some feeder heifers that averaged 607.5 lbs and cost $86.45 per cwt.

Yes, that is exactly what I expect to be the norm if these grain prices stay up.

At those prices....the 275 lb heifers would bring $247 a head. 400 lb heifers would bring $380. 475 lb heifers would bring $451. 530 lb heifers would bring $503 and 608 lb heifers would bring $526. Essentially the guy with the best genetics and the best management practices actually gets paid for it.

I personally bought some feeder heifers that averaged 607.5 lbs and cost $86.45 per cwt.[/quote]

May I ask what $86.45 per cwt means?

jwhisperj":1bju2179 said:
May I ask what $86.45 per cwt means?

CWT is hundred weight/100 lbs. So $86.45 cwt is 86.45 per 100 lbs or $0.8645 per pound

Latest posts