What are the sale barn differences in prices

Help Support CattleToday:

here is a graphic showing price in different province

Price are higher in quebec province and I do'nt know the reason.
Marcel

15_00027_image002.gif

Brandonm2":3mxt3jrh said:
OhioRiver":3mxt3jrh said:
Do you mean wean weight or yearling per se on this?

I am talking about weaning weight. For years it has been a little frustrating too bring 6 weight calves to the barn and see the 4 weight calf out of the latest breeding cow in the herd bring the most actual money. A lot of people wean their calves at ~400 lbs knowing that price per pound is high at that wt and they won't have to push their home grass as hard carrying dry cows instead of pairs. I am just theorizing here, but high grain price MAY lead to a greater emphasis being put on pounds.
You can put the 6 and 7 weights no such luck on those light ones.

my experience is who you know.. for instatance.it seems when i buy prices are high and when i sell it is low...
I could give examples, but it might just look like spite.
I will think twice before selling at the sale barn again.

If you do... give them a spill at the entry and make sure they repeat it... they new alot about my calves that i did not tell them. JMO donna

BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING: ALL SAME SIZE AND AGE

RED ANGUS WEANED CALF - about $3/cwt less
BLACK ANGUS WEANED CALF - Top Price
CHAROLAIS WEANED CALF - about $10/cwt less if it has a pink nose, about $5/cwt less if it has a black nose
HEREFORD WEANED CALF - quality varies alot & heifers are harder to sell - from $3 to $15/cwt less
BLACK BALDIE WEANED CALF - some variation but usually about the same as straight Black

I buy alot of rwf and charlais cross since they are usually the most profitable even though they may not have the highest price per pound. "Once the meat is on the platter the hide don't matter"

do you take these to the butcher or who buys them for slaughter. i have never sold one

Stocker Steve":nu6rl09j said:
BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING: ALL SAME SIZE AND AGE

RED ANGUS WEANED CALF - about $3/cwt less
BLACK ANGUS WEANED CALF - Top Price
CHAROLAIS WEANED CALF - about $10/cwt less if it has a pink nose, about $5/cwt less if it has a black nose
HEREFORD WEANED CALF - quality varies alot & heifers are harder to sell - from $3 to $15/cwt less
BLACK BALDIE WEANED CALF - some variation but usually about the same as straight Black

I buy alot of rwf and charlais cross since they are usually the most profitable even though they may not have the highest price per pound. "Once the meat is on the platter the hide don't matter"

I usually sell heavy feeders that weigh between 800 and 950 pounds.

At that weight the color matters much less, but you will get docked heavily if the cattle are not well musculed. Fancy reds or smokes or buckskins will sell within $2/cwt of fancy blacks up here. If they grow better than the straight blacks, and they sell within $2/cwt of straight blacks, then I make more money and the feedlot makes more money and the consumer gets a nice piece of red meat.

Latest posts