What are my rights?

Help Support CattleToday:

hpm08161947

Reaction score
I do not have cows - but I have cows in my vineyard and they are reeking havock!! These cows belong to an absentee cow owner whoes facilities have deteriorated to the point where his electricity has been turned off and his fencing is totally porous. I can not locate him but have located some of his relatives and have told them about the situation. I can not afford to have my vineyard destroyed. My neighbors have suggested that I round the cows up and sell them at the livestock market - other neighbors have suggested that i simply gun them down and drag their carcasses into the woods. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

I agree with dun.., AND if you can, you might want to consider putting up an electric wire on the fence they are coming through.

Been there (I am currently there) and Dun is dead on, AGAIN.

Call your sherrif. Eventually they will round the cows up and haul them to the animal shelter. The owner will either pay the fees or else the cows will be auctioned to pay for the fuel and feed expense to the shelter.

Don't shoot the cows. They are simply hungry critters. The owner needs to take responsibility. It is not the cows fault.

I agree with Dun, contact your local sheriff to have them help you out. keep track of how much damage is being done to your vinyard.
P.S. DONT SHOOT THE COWS IT'S NOT THERE FAULT THAT THERE OWNER IS NOT TALKING CARE OF THEM. SOUNDS LIKE THE COWS ARE THE ONES THAT NEED HELP. :(

I never understand why someone would even give the notion of shooting cattle unless they are near death and suffering. The owner needs to be locked up with Bubba .

If I was you, I would lock the cattle up on my property if I could. Your chances of collecting damages will be a lot less once they leave your property. Especially if the owner is having financial problems.

rkm":1de4dnnm said:
If I was you, I would lock the cattle up on my property if I could. Your chances of collecting damages will be a lot less once they leave your property. Especially if the owner is having financial problems.

That, plus it might minimize the damages. Once they're locked up, you can probably make the sheriff come get them...at least that's what I was told by a sheriff's deputy when we had a corriente bull that continued to come over the fence here.

We were lucky...I found the owner of the bull. He was out of state at the time and immediately sent someone to get him and paid us for the trouble. He's turned into a real good neighbor.

Alice

1. Pen up the cows. Call the sherrif and let them know you have damages. File a coomplaint for damage/destruction fo private porperty or whatever the equivilent in your jurisdiction is.

2. Notify the owner, if you cant locate him, due it through public notice in the paper.

3. Dont give them back until damages and cost are recovered. You may need to file a lien, similar to a mechanics lien.

4. Possess the cattle and sell to compensate.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks guys - sounds like good advice to me. I will contact the sheriffs office and see what they have to say. I do not know cows but their ribs are showing and their fur is very scruffy - i do not blame the cows and realize they are only hungry - I may be able to round them up but will first have to construct something. My likelihood of obtaining anything from this absentee owner are about 0.

Instead of the sheriff, I would call the brand inspector. If they are branded, they would be able to find the owners. If not, I've had our inspector load up the offending bull, (in our case), and haul him off.

I suspect branding cattle is not done very often is this area - although there are plenty of cows. These cows are not branded to the best of my knowledge.

The sheriffs dept was here today and after consulting the animal control officer (did not know we had one) I am supposed to construct a holding pen and lure the cattle into it. At which time the owner will be notified to compensate me for my labor or I will be allowed to transport the cattle to market and keep the proceeds. Dang lot of trouble - but worth the effort if this is the solution.

If there are enough of them----There are several people I know that will come and get them for you--- won't have to make a pen or anything(The'll rope them and drag them into a trailer. They could hold the cattle till the owner pays up or keep/sell them.
I also know several that have prortable panels that would hire out to build a temp pen for you till you bait the cows into it. then they will come and take them off your hands.
Might as well let the guys trying to make a living(and know how to do it without getting hurt) have at it........

I would go with what the sheriff told you it sounds like the best plan to me in both sesnerios you are gonna get some type of money Well good Luck

cowboyup216":1p7pbtsr said:
Your rights are as follows:

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you.

Sounds like the sheriff and animal control are telling ya right.

Why in the hell would a law abiding victim of a worthless neighbor, need advising of his Miranda Rights?

Get out your Camcorder, Picture Phone, Digital camera, etc. and photograph any and all damages.There was a case not far from here where a feller was letting his Hogs and Cattle run loose. He was fined 1000.00 and forced to pay punitive damages, and his name put in the local paper.You've got plenty of legal ground to stand on. If all else fails, call the local newspaper or TV station.

hpm08161947":22h1fai4 said:
I do not have cows - but I have cows in my vineyard and they are reeking havock!! These cows belong to an absentee cow owner whoes facilities have deteriorated to the point where his electricity has been turned off and his fencing is totally porous. I can not locate him but have located some of his relatives and have told them about the situation. I can not afford to have my vineyard destroyed. My neighbors have suggested that I round the cows up and sell them at the livestock market - other neighbors have suggested that i simply gun them down and drag their carcasses into the woods. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

i really don't know what to say but that my cows get out all the time and go visit neighbors LOL, but we catch them , the first time it happened i went to the ladies house and offered to fix the foot prints on her lawn but she was like " no problem" so i told her if was ever home not to go up to the cow and try to catch her, i told her just to come get me and i would take care of it..this cow in particular charges only kids that are 36in and under and this lady had to grandkids 1 and 4 so i would get really scared if bell turned up missing!!!!!!!!

cow_crazy_101":1oo6jsol said:
hpm08161947":1oo6jsol said:

i really don't know what to say but that my cows get out all the time and go visit neighbors LOL, but we catch them , the first time it happened i went to the ladies house and offered to fix the foot prints on her lawn but she was like " no problem" so i told her if was ever home not to go up to the cow and try to catch her, i told her just to come get me and i would take care of it..this cow in particular charges only kids that are 36in and under and this lady had to grandkids 1 and 4 so i would get really scared if bell turned up missing!!!!!!!!

This cow needs to grow wheels. Ain't no need in keeping a fence jumper. Its your responsibility if someone gets hurt. If she is going through the fences you need to fix them before putting anymore in there. Cows that won't stay in fences are not worth keeping, to much liability. One that charges kids should be turned into hamburger period.

cow_crazy_101":3o1w4x30 said:
hpm08161947":3o1w4x30 said:

Thats an easy problem to fix you would be out of the business in about a week and never know what hit you. The vet would be standing in your pasture scratchin his head an ass.

cow_crazy_101":25uh8qj6 said:
i really don't know what to say but that my cows get out all the time !!!!!!!!

Sure glad you are not my neighbor. This is a very serious problem. Why don't you feed your cows such that they will remain within your pastures and fix your fences. You are going to kill someone's kid when a cow gets hit on the road. There's not a bit of humor in this post of yours.

Latest posts