What am I missing

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I drove to one of my pastures today and ran into the man I gave his daughter an area to raise a show steer with FFA. Out of curiosity I asked him how did his daughter do on selling her steer. He told me it sold for around $ 4 cwt and weighed 1100 plb's I asked a few more questions on time it took to get to the weight and feed cost etc. After I got back in my truck I pulled out my phone calculator and tried to figure out how much they made. He said they fed the steer 10 lb's of feed for 5 months and some hay initially but none in the last 2 months. At $ 4400 dollars minus feed of about $ 250 minus steer cost of around $ 600 that ain't bad. I have never finished out a steer so I must be missing something. I know there is labor cost, vet cost but I must be missing something and I need to get out of the cow/calf business if I could make this kind of money. :dunce:

If you were in FFA you might $4cwt. Since you're not you're gonna get whatever FATS are bringin

Good on ya for giving her a place to raise her steer.

"Show" cattle (aka 4-H, FFA, etc.) sales have little to do with the true "value" of the animal. The majority of the sales price should be condidered a "donation" to help the kids. Otherwise, if the animal is in top condition, then it's "market value" would be whatever it would bring on the open market sales/auctions (excusing any high end registered breeding stock).

if his daughter only put $300 plus the steer cost for total of $900.that makes no sense at all.a friend of mines grandson raised a steer for the FFA/4H steer show.an his cost where $900 for steer.$11/100 for 3000lbs of feed for $330 for feed.thats not counting hay.his cost was right at $1.15lb over all cost including weight gained.an he sold his steer for $4 a lb.his steer was eating tween 35 an 50lbs of roll cracked steamed corn a day.

Central Fl Cracker":nnub6m2z said:
He said he sold it to someone to butcher because he had to delivere it to a butcher near our place.

Are you saying it sold for that, private treaty, and not thru the FFA auction.

That is what he said. That's why I was so surprised but I guess the buyer splits up the cuts with other people or he eats a lot of meat. I asked my wife what she pays for Filet and she said around $ 13 per pound.

I asked my wife what she pays for top sirloin and she said around $ 13 per pound.[/quote]

Man I hope not it sells for $4 lb wholesale

I thinks you're comparing apples to oranges. Realistically, I doubt that $4 a pound is anywhere near market price. That would sure put any steaks you got up into the $10 -$15 price range.

Central Fl Cracker":1m4knik2 said:
I just pulled up Omaha Steaks they are $ 15 for a 8 ounce Filet with no taxes and no freight.

That's about right for a filet. but $13lb for sirloin is bull

Not real sure of the exact situation you are talking about but, I have bought steers, pigs, chickens, and turkeys from FFA or 4-H kids after the show that didn't make the sale. It has always been more of a donation for the kids than a real buisness deal. What I mean is that is was nowhere near sale barn prices.

Might have paid more for the steer also. I've seen parents pay up to $2000 for open heifers, $10,000 for a pen of 5 and the kid gets to sell only 3 in the show.

My county has a real strong 4-H Livestock show. Very supportive media (radio and newspaper) give ample publicity to the purchaser of the grand champion in the various classes. But, a grand champion beef would maybe fetch $2/lb, here. And buyers disperse their money across several bids, so most of the kids make a buck.
The only way to profit from this market, IMO, is to sell show calves. The parents are paying large bucks so that Jack and/or Jill will have an advantage. If your calves could win a show or two, your rewards could be considerable.

The kid's livestock show just closed here. The champion steer brought $9,000 . The champion goat brought $6,000. The champion lamb $3,500. The champion broiler brought $4,375. From all this, it looks like goats may be the thing to get into.

10 lbs of feed a day possibly to start the calf off.. but as he got bigger surely they fed more than that. The last junior I talked to spent over $1500 to feed her steer. Of course it depends on how big the calf is when they got it also. A bag of show feed here runs $11.50 to $13.00 per 50 lb bag.

Latest posts