West Texas Ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

i'm about 3 hr's nw of you.
my grand parents came from comanche county(gustine) to west tx in a horse drawn wagon.
we still have lots of family there and used have our family reunion at proctor lake.
i've often wondered why they ever decided to leave there and move our here.
i really like that part of the world
sounds like you have a real nice place.
congrats and hope you enjoy it.

Thanks all, and yes djinwa I brought the misses. Wouldn't make a move without her! Will post some pics of the place next week when I get back to Oregon.

Not trying to hijack the thread but have been learning a lot from all. So u all plant clover are wheat to graze cattle during winter months? Jut figured cattle would at natura
Grasses since it does not really snow or freeze in the area being discusses hear? I mean throckmorton south.

Thanks for education

bman4523":rb540rtk said:
Well this thread is a little old but I wanted to let you all know I finally bought my little slice of Texas today, about 74 acres of coastal Bermuda with a few oak tress and several tanks that even have water in them! The property is a little north of Comanche Texas in Comanche County. Good sandy soil, fencing and cross fencing, pens, chute and head gate all in excellent condition. Hope to build a house on it later next year. Thanks to everyone for your input over the months and years leading up to today.
I look forward to your input as I am sure to have many posts/questions regarding cattle and grass and such moving forward.
Thanks again- bman
Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm a little North West of Brownwood. I made that drive from Brownwood to Comanche last year to go to a bull sale. It's unique and pretty that way too! What sort of cattle are you going to run?

bman4523":29wmshio said:
Well this thread is a little old but I wanted to let you all know I finally bought my little slice of Texas today, about 74 acres of coastal Bermuda with a few oak tress and several tanks that even have water in them! The property is a little north of Comanche Texas in Comanche County. Good sandy soil, fencing and cross fencing, pens, chute and head gate all in excellent condition. Hope to build a house on it later next year. Thanks to everyone for your input over the months and years leading up to today.
I look forward to your input as I am sure to have many posts/questions regarding cattle and grass and such moving forward.
Thanks again- bman
Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm a little North West of Brownwood. I made that drive from Brownwood to Comanche last year to go to a bull sale. It's unique and pretty that way too! What sort of cattle are you going to run?

He'll like it out there, and if I could get a decent price for my place here in E Texas, I'd move back west in a heartbeat, even if I had to start all over. I spent 10 years in San Angelo and loved it, and my wife would be packed and in the truck in a heartbeat--she hates E Texas humidity and mosquitos . We left there in 2005 and when I went back last January to bury my aunt, all those wind turbines were a surprise--I never realized they made so much noise. My uncle & aunt dry farmed cotton/grain in Nolan for decades (he was county commisioner there for awhile), and yeah, the dang wind blows hard and cold in the winter. It was cold and the wind was howling the day we laid her to rest at the Nolan Cemetery--preacher cut the graveside service really short because of it.
I always considered West Texas to start at the Pecos. East of there is called West Central Texas.

Thanks Kingfish. Haven't decided on the type of operation but might start with a small number of weaned steers. Just getting into cattle raising and have been doing a lot of research. Sorry to hear about your aunt, Grey. Hope your family is adjusting to the loss.

bman4523":1tdrzul4 said:
Thanks again- bman

Congratulations! I drive through that area regularly. It is beautiful county. That is one area where I would love to live. : )

calfbuyer":jpakggdz said:
Welcome to the area! I'm in San Saba which is about an hour south of you. You will like it here.

That has got to be the prettiest and cleanest little town I've ever visited. I'd love to call it home. ;-)

We live just south of Evant, not too far from you. One thing to watch for in this part of the country is cedar, AKA ash juniper. Manage it, or it will devour you. I call it "land cancer."