Werid Show Animal Habits?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirlxupx1034

Reaction score
Do any of your show animals have any werid habits?

Here are mine:

Last years steer, Socks, would always lick the panels for no reason.

Butterscotch- drinks water out of the hose and licks mo all over

Mo- tries to lick his ear tag.

What, his own ear tag? Now thats gotta be funny to watch.

Lets see . . .

Had a shorty steer once that used to reach up to the power cord and pull it out of the powerpoint when I was blow drying him. The same steer and his mate used to live in separate pens but next to each other, and they'd lift the gates off the hinges to get in and play with each other.

Have a square meater heifer (actually cow now) and when you take out her nose dog she puts her nose onto the stalls and just sits with it pressed there. Another heifer presses her nose hard into the ground when she sees you coming with the nose dog.

For some reason, I've found limo show steers enjoy drinking each other's urine. :shock:

I've had plenty who drink out of the hose.

One shorty steer I had always insisted on sticking his tongue down his mate's ear.

A buck I am showing at the moment hops in his hay bag and goes to sleep - the front half of him hangs out one side of the bag and the back half hangs out the other end.

Fred- likes to ram me when I am walking him, and he likes to chase after you. Just all the stuff bottle babies like to do. LOL. He is one. And he likes to get right in your face and put his nose on you.

Thunder-likes to kick at the show stick. Is that weird? ANd he likes to "ride" Fred.

And they both dont like the salt block. Had one in there for a week or so. They didnt lick it at all. So I took it out and gave it to my horses. And they both lie down like they are dead? It is weird. My "stupid dad" came into the house and said Justin your steer is dead...joking around and I ran right out there and went over to him and he pick his head up and stuck it right i my face.

I have one heifer now that likes to flip the feed trough. She has hay in front of her all the time so it isn't hunger.

I know someone that had a bull that would flip over on its side when it didn't want to walk. He did that a few times in the show ring. Needless to say his name was " Flop".

Keren":27vjtfdj said:
What, his own ear tag? Now thats gotta be funny to watch.

Lets see . . .

Had a shorty steer once that used to reach up to the power cord and pull it out of the powerpoint when I was blow drying him. The same steer and his mate used to live in separate pens but next to each other, and they'd lift the gates off the hinges to get in and play with each other.

Have a square meater heifer (actually cow now) and when you take out her nose dog she puts her nose onto the stalls and just sits with it pressed there. Another heifer presses her nose hard into the ground when she sees you coming with the nose dog.

For some reason, I've found limo show steers enjoy drinking each other's urine. :shock:

I've had plenty who drink out of the hose.

One shorty steer I had always insisted on sticking his tongue down his mate's ear.

A buck I am showing at the moment hops in his hay bag and goes to sleep - the front half of him hangs out one side of the bag and the back half hangs out the other end.

Yeah it is funny to watch :) Yeah, Butterscotch always drinks Mo's urine.

4-H_Kid07":3nq3nf90 said:
Fred- likes to ram me when I am walking him, and he likes to chase after you. Just all the stuff bottle babies like to do. LOL. He is one. And he likes to get right in your face and put his nose on you.

Thunder-likes to kick at the show stick. Is that weird? ANd he likes to "ride" Fred.

And they both dont like the salt block. Had one in there for a week or so. They didnt lick it at all. So I took it out and gave it to my horses. And they both lie down like they are dead? It is weird. My "stupid dad" came into the house and said Justin your steer is dead...joking around and I ran right out there and went over to him and he pick his head up and stuck it right i my face.
\

Ha, yeah the other morning at about 6 am my sis woke me up and she said Sis, wake up I think the steers are out! So I got up and ran out the door barefoot in my pajamas when it was freezing cold and The steers were just laying down, chewing their cud. It actually was the cows and calves making a big comotion in the pasture next to our pasture.

I had a show heifer that would stick her head in a bucket of water (like totally underwater) before she drank it.

One cow would take apples out of my hand and eat them if I walked past her head.

This year I have a heifer that lays down when she doesnt want to walk.

One of my first show heifers would drink out of a water bottle

Several show cattle of mine try to eat halters, showsticks, buckets, anything.

I had a steer last year that knew how to untie himself (that was trouble at any show and we ended up putting two neckties on him and re-tying ever hour)

I have a heifer this year that will sway back and forth if you scratch her in a certain spot with the show stick.

last years calf in my cow/calf would flop over like one of those fainting goats if he didnt want to lead.

Im sure that there are many many more, but I will stop here.

cowgirlxupx1034":p1srz4r9 said:
Mo- tries to lick his ear tag.
that would be like watching some one try to like there ear or elbow.
my retired show heifers that turn into cows are always in the water tanks in the pasture.
my char. heifer when a dog comes up to her she runs to the feed trough and acts like she is eating.
one of my hampshire barrow if you spray him or touch him he lies down and scratches.
we have many more

my sisters steer stands in the feed trough when he eats....very very annoying :mad:

my heifer learned how to take off her rope halter....i still havnt caught her in the act! :mad:

another heifer puts her front feet into the stock tanks too.

before i broke my heifer, she would try to bite me.

ummm im sure theres more but i cant think of them....

cattleluvr18":3b8xqzr5 said:
my sisters steer stands in the feed trough when he eats....very very annoying :mad:

my heifer learned how to take off her rope halter....i still havnt caught her in the act! :mad:

another heifer puts her front feet into the stock tanks too.

before i broke my heifer, she would try to bite me.

ummm im sure theres more but i cant think of them....

Butterscotch stands in the feed trough too it's very annoying!

I used to have a steer who would carry the showstick around in his mouth while i was waiting to show, just hold it, and he wouldn't drop it until you pulled it out.

Not sure if this counts but one of my current steers has fainted at the last three shows i have taken him to i will tie him up and his eyes just roll back in his head and he faints. After that he is perfect walks nice and stand well in the ring but first he has to faint. Scard me so bad the first time he did it. He almost fell on my dad. :eek:

rimranch":3ja580vc said:
I used to have a steer who would carry the showstick around in his mouth while i was waiting to show, just hold it, and he wouldn't drop it until you pulled it out.

Not sure if this counts but one of my current steers has fainted at the last three shows i have taken him to i will tie him up and his eyes just roll back in his head and he faints. After that he is perfect walks nice and stand well in the ring but first he has to faint. Scard me so bad the first time he did it. He almost fell on my dad. :eek:

Oh my, that would scare me so bad!

Well, let's see...

I've had steers go all the way into the water tank and then some that just stick their front feet in, but most of our cows and bulls do that anyway.

I've had steers lie down if they don't want to walk.

I've had steers that, before they take a drink out of the stock tank, they submerge their noses under the water and blow bubbles. :lol:

Some steers of mine have drank each others urine. :shock:

And of course they know when it's chore time. I go down and they have already come in from pasture, standing and waiting for me.

That's about all I can think of so far.

-Angus Girl

i had 2 hogs in middle school...my sixth grade hog would chew on anything that was in his pen....i mean anything.......

my seventh grade hog was kind of talented......i would let him out of his pen to run around the pasture with the other hogs at the school farm and it seemed that after ten minutes he would be gone.......he would push open his gate on the pen go in and shut the gate behind him and stand and wait for me to feed him.

richburg102":147kjwp0 said:
my seventh grade hog was kind of talented......i would let him out of his pen to run around the pasture with the other hogs at the school farm and it seemed that after ten minutes he would be gone.......he would push open his gate on the pen go in and shut the gate behind him and stand and wait for me to feed him.
we have a few of those this year. or while i am leading them out of the 300 foot hog barn they will open gates to the feeder hogs and eat their feed.

I guess the funniest thing I've seen is :

Let me preface this by saying that I've seen a lot of cattle go to sleep at shows.

This past year at a state show, my son's heifer stretched completely out on her side and went to sleep. She went into a deep sleep to the point that she was snoring (her lips were flapping like Fred Flinestone). Her eyes were moving around under her eyelids like she was dreaming. After about a minute or two of us laughing at her, she suddenly jumped up and bawled out loud and was panting like she was scared to death. I wish you could have been there, it was the funniest thing I've seen. All in all she did this about 5 different times last year.

the weirdest i've had was a hereford heifer named fancy that absolutely loved my mom's sweet tea (from one of our cups or a water bottle) and the candy maple nuts from farm&home...not sure how good it was for her, but we took several gallons of tea and a bag of them to every show! :)

my angus heifer has just accrired another when i tie he rup for 2 hours and then walk her to water she walks with her head on the groung and then right before she gets to the fence where i tie her she lies down so i cant tie her to anything

Latest posts