Well that was fun

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Decided to tag the new calf today. I'm planning on picking up a few more head soon, and want to keep better records. So after cutting and wrapping a butcherd sheep, I grabbed the tagger and tag n got mom into one field and kept him in the main one. Snatched him up which was no small feat, he's fast. Put the tag in, then noticed it was on the wrong side of the ear. DOH! Of course I had already turned him loose and let mom get back to him. Oh well, at least Ill be able to see the numbers as he is running away!

hooknline":2x4gefes said:
Decided to tag the new calf today. I'm planning on picking up a few more head soon, and want to keep better records. So after cutting and wrapping a butcherd sheep, I grabbed the tagger and tag n got mom into one field and kept him in the main one. Snatched him up which was no small feat, he's fast. Put the tag in, then noticed it was on the wrong side of the ear. DOH! Of course I had already turned him loose and let mom get back to him. Oh well, at least Ill be able to see the numbers as he is running away!

Live and learn. :lol: We tag our heifers and bulls in different ears. One year I kept looking at a bull calf and talking really bad about him. Just not a good looking calf. Then we realized HE was a SHE. :oops: We moved the tag to the other ear and I liked HER a lot better. In fact SHE calved this year. A nice heifer....tagged in the correct ear.

I do not know what is the right ear to tag , I tag my in the left...

Tag heifer with numbers like 901,902,903, etc. ( the 9 is the year ) , I now tag steers with a big S and their mothers #, no tags means no band and so the bulls go to sale barn... I guess 2010 calves will be 001, 002, 003 ect.

Works for me, if I had 250 heads it have to be something different...

The "correct" ear is whichever ear you want it to be...

different producers use different systems for numbering, and some use tags in both ears for records/history.
We also use brisket tags for the brood cows.

We happen to tag in the calf's LEFT ear, our neighbor does it in the right ear.

Whatever you prefer! :banana:

Unless I'm mistaken he didn't put the tag in the wrong ear but put it in with the tag behind the ear.

yeah been there done that several times. we do steer left & heifer right i have changed several. i put them in the corral now that i am not as young as i use to be, i never notice til i let them go and then i have to catch and change. i always did it in the field nose to nose with mom but not now i like the corral panel between us. age brings wisdom, i got kicked in the face, about 3 years ago, by a 2 month old calf or it would have killed me trying to be a rodeo clown. must have knocked some sense into me haha.

We tag heifers in the left with one color, bulls in the right with another. By tagging heifers in the left it leaves the right ear open for the bangs tag and tatoo.
Another good trick I learned from another comercial rancher;
Change to another color mid season, that way if you have a good doing calf that is 30 days or more younger she shows up better. Same with an early calf thats sub par.

I get a couple tagged wrong every year because its either too early in the morning or else the moms snorting in my flank.@

I've put them on backwrds a couple of times. Usually when I've got one eye on mom and the other on a likely escape route. When I do I wait until spring workup to change them.

Latest posts