Welcome Tropical Storm Harvey

Help Support CattleToday:

This stuff is getting ridiculous now. People are panicking about fuel and buying out stations not any where near the problem areas.

We are getting hammered because people are fueling up and buying us out on the way in and out of the damaged areas.

I was in Waco when that one storm hit Houston. The stupidity of people was forever burned in my brain.

Brute 23":3twm7y6d said:
This stuff is getting ridiculous now. People are panicking about fuel and buying out stations not any where near the problem areas.

We are getting hammered because people are fueling up and buying us out on the way in and out of the damaged areas.

I was in Waco when that one storm hit Houston. The stupidity of people was forever burned in my brain.

There's no diesel that I'm aware of in lampasas county. When I heard that it was running out. I went and filled up.

kenny thomas":22tayvq5 said:
I have been in the Rockport area today. Its not flooded,but,little left to flood. It is destroyed. Lots of cotton rolls in the farmland and much of it is ruined. Inglewood and Arasas is tore up terrible too. Some,of,my crew went to,Port Arasas on the barrier islands and say,nothing,is,left

:shock:
:( :frowns: :cry2:

Wow. Sad. My heart goes out to those folks.
Thanks for the update Kenny.

Caustic Burno":3d5h5fdy said:
GB just called said to tell everyone thanks for the offers for help.
He lost four cows he knows of so far.
He is still without power and on generator.

I talked with him as well he's in great spirits all things considered.

Very glad all here survived the storm. Thoughts and prayers with everybody affected. Hope you make it thru the s-storm that follows these events as well.

Brute 23":2xgmudm5 said:
I have been glad to have a diesel truck thru this deal. The gas pumps have been running out here first. When I filled up this evening, diesel was the only thing left.

FEMA has 11 loads of,fuel sitting at old airport where we are working,out of. I,ask earlier about it and,they have been sitting,there for 4 days. I'm not,sure what just sitting,there pays but I know of some up near Houston that are,working good and,getting $7,500 a day. And,yes that's just,for,hauling and,pumping.

Brute 23":1mjgajc3 said:
I have been glad to have a diesel truck thru this deal. The gas pumps have been running out here first. When I filled up this evening, diesel was the only thing left.

That is the very reason there is a 400 gallon tank in the barn.
During Rita it supplied fuel to generator,truck and tractors for a month.

We have fuel at the farm as well learned after Ivan to have it full when a storm heads our way. Ivan was bad but nothing compared to the devastation we saw during Katrina now Harvey. Our prayers go out to all of you dealing with the aftermath of the storm.

Gizmom

Yes, I'm still here, water logged and on a generator. Day 5 without power. Having trouble keeping a connection and keeping the laptop's battery charged.
Things are a mess, but all things considered, we're in good shape, and certainly in a lot better shape than many in this region of Texas & La. Water has receded a lot, almost off 1/2 my property now.

"4 cows lost" ..
I'm not 'sure' all 4 are drowned, just unaccounted for.
Neighbor called today to tell me a little light colored beefmaster looking calf floated up in the backwater of one of his pastures today, so i am assuming that is the premie that was born early last week and is among the missing. a 4 yr old horned BM, a Char heifer about 2 yrs old, a 6 yr old char cow, and a 3 yr old BM cow.
Inversely, I have 2 in the pasture that aren't mine, so maybe mine are in someone's pasture downstream.

They have no idea how long before the power can be restored. It's down somewhere in the river bottom on Nat'l Forest land where the water is still high and running fast.
Won't be long before I have spent more for gen fuel than the meat in the freezers are worth.
On the morning we left, water was already up to the 2nd step of my front porch steps and not an inch of dry land in sight 360 deg around. I knew we could never make it paddling upstream to the highway, and knew there was a deep wide gorge we would have to cross going South that was now just flat water, level with all the rest of the place. I wasn't sure I could handle that cross flow in that deep spot alone, and my wife is not an experienced 'paddler', so I called the fire dept. I figured it would be awhile, but 45-60 minutes later, I saw a guy wading up my road in chest deep water. VFD. He had 2 cell phones in a ziplock bag and called for a boat to come in from the highway, and they launched from the other side of the river, but when they got to my property, the velocity of the water where it crossed the highway was too great and they couldn't make the 90 deg turn safely, plus were concerned about crossing the fence. It was covered in debris and that caused a lot of turbulence. He and I decided the 3 of us would paddle out the same way he waded/swam in. We paddled 1/4 mile off my property, then another 1/8 mile up a county road that dead ends on my property to where he had parked his truck.
We all got out, I tied the boat off to a tree and we got in his truck. He took us to a waiting dump truck the precinct had sent and we rode the dump truck to one of my sister's homes about 8 miles up the FM road.
Today, that boat is still sitting there on the side of the gravel road, not a drop of water any where around it.
Looks strange as heck.

I'll lose almost everything in my shop, even tho I put everything up on shelves and workbenches. Chop saw, a gas powered welder, a crackerbox welder, 2 pressure washers, tablesaw, and a compound mitre saw.
Some of it might be salvagable once I get the covers off and it dries out.
Garden tiller, 4 wheeler MTD lawn tractor, push mower..might salvage some of it if I get it all drained and cleaned out tomorrow.
Just stuff.

Glad to see your ok. I spent Tuesday night in Lufkin but couldn't get to you they said. not,much flooding here in Beeville but along the coast its destroyed.

Glad to hear all is well GB.

The only thing I regret is before the storm I filled the 100g tank on back of my truck with red. Hind-sight I should have put pump diesel just in case I needed to run it in my truck.

They say that red diesel is exactly the same now except for the die but it still voids the warranty.

One thing I did do today. I went to town and bought as many bags of cubes as I could haul.
The cows all 'look' good, but they are acting strange as heck. I poured the cubes to them..figured after the ordeal they went thru, they deserve as much 'candy' as they can get, but tho I know they had to be hungry after eating grass that is almost all water, they still didn't attack the cubes like they usually do. Bellies may be full of water.

I'm usually not too sentimental about cattle..never name them, don't see them as pets, I don't buy them 'treats' but it truly broke my heart that the premie calf died. That little sucker had really come along good the days right before the river started rising.

The night before we paddled out of here, it was tough, laying there in bed with the windows open, listening to my cattle mooing and making the most mournful sounds on the high ground just outside the yard fence. I considered wading out, and cutting the fence and letting them roam into the National Forest, but I knew there wasn't any high ground out to the west of me either.
You'd hear one crying/mooing/bellowing, then it would stop..silence..then another, and another in chest deep water or higher. Raining so hard, I could never find them in a spotlight. That next morning at first light (morning we left), there wasn't a single one of the beefmasters in the pasture I had them in the evening before, but when I returned, all those fences were intact. They went OVER the tops of the fences. Same way with the chars that were on a different hill just accross the pond.
Historically, since 1964, when my father first bought his tract, the pasture where I had the cattle that nite has never seen any flood water until a few days ago.

That morning, I had to wade out to and into m shop to get a better rope for the boat. It was so surreal, to open that door and see 4' of water instead of the familiar floor, shelves and tools.
Still all seems like a dream.

Dunno know how much stored hay I'm going to lose, but I know where some good dry hay is.
Wife said "we were so dang lucky".
"No babe, Somebody was looking out for us. Just another reminder, that we ain't in control or in charge."

Greybeard, I am so relieved that you and your wife made it through this storm. I am sorry about the premie calf, he sure was a pretty little fellow. I was just commenting to my husband, wonder what his cows have to eat. Are you able to salvage any of your hay? There is plenty of hay up here in northeast Texas. I know a few people that cut hay, I can see if they have any or if they will be cutting more. I'm sure that hay is going to command a premium price in the coming months.

greaybeard, I'm glad you and your wife are okay. I'm sorry to hear of the losses you've sustained, but I'm glad you're okay.

My prayers are still going out to everyone affected by this mess. Even when the rains are over, this catastrophe is only beginning. :(

Latest posts