Welcome Buttercup

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
My milk cow had a nice little heifer calf this morning. :banana: :D :D
My daughter wants that calf, so she got to name her. Next years 4-H project.

IMG_6078.jpg

trying to get up
IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

Yes djinwa we have a milking machine.
Getting a tune up kit for it. The teat cups I have are too big.
Going to hand milk her til we get it.

Guessing her to weight about 45#. real easy to pick her up.
Was sure cute looking this evening all dried off.

Gotta watch those stupid jerseys... they're invasive! Before to long half the cows on your place will be jerseys :nod: . The good news is that they are easy to halter break. Since they just follow you everywhere you go naturally, just stick a halter on her and away you go.
Congrats for now and an "I told you so" for later when you have fifty of them running around. :mrgreen:

Hard for me to really tell from the picture but IF that's a jersey cow, I'm going to bust your bubble. At least from that pic she is not "show" quality unless the calf turns out much better than the cow. Sorry, just my opinion. :help:

TexasBred":3vnxxtmk said:
Hard for me to really tell from the picture but IF that's a jersey cow, I'm going to bust your bubble. At least from that pic she is not "show" quality unless the calf turns out much better than the cow. Sorry, just my opinion. :help:
If its not a jersey then what kind of cow is it?Looks like a good jersey to me.I dont see any reason in the world why that calf wouldnt work for a young kids 4H project.Pretty good lookin calf.

bishopcattleco":jt8kxmy2 said:
TexasBred":jt8kxmy2 said:
If its not a jersey then what kind of cow is it?Looks like a good jersey to me.I dont see any reason in the world why that calf wouldnt work for a young kids 4H project.Pretty good lookin calf.
bishop it could be anything but definitely has a lot of jersey influence, I'm not denying that. Just saying that in THIS picture she does not exhibit the more typical "dairy" qualities. As I said "My opinion" only. comprende :?:

c0w pollinator this is my second jersey.I just love the breed. I lost my first Jersey to a ruptured bowel last year.

Thanks HD! She kicked me off my milking stool 3 times the first milking, but that Surge milker was sure worth the price I paid for it.

TB we have not got the dairy herds up here that they used to. There are still some dairy's but they are few and far between. I ended up getting this heifer out of Wyoming.
Figure that calf would be a good learning experience for my daughter. I know she is not the best of the breed, but they haven't had a dairy breed entered in our county fair for who knows how long. Daughter has no plans to sell her, just milk her and keep her for herself.

I luv herfrds":2ghai5b4 said:
c0w pollinator this is my second jersey.I just love the breed. I lost my first Jersey to a ruptured bowel last year.

Thanks HD! She kicked me off my milking stool 3 times the first milking, but that Surge milker was sure worth the price I paid for it.

TB we have not got the dairy herds up here that they used to. There are still some dairy's but they are few and far between. I ended up getting this heifer out of Wyoming.
Figure that calf would be a good learning experience for my daughter. I know she is not the best of the breed, but they haven't had a dairy breed entered in our county fair for who knows how long. Daughter has no plans to sell her, just milk her and keep her for herself.

For that she should work for you. And if she's giving 2 gallons of milk per milking it should be some good drinking. Add some protein to that "all grain" diet and you should see the milk really jump if you need more.

all you need to add to her grain is 4lbs of soybean meal a day,an she should overflow her milk pail.

we have a jerseyX cow that's in the 3rd stage right now and we dont know anything about the jersey's disposition so when she calves we better look out I'm thinking. when one of our other cow's calve she is right there wanting to know what the heck were doing. she never act's like she's gonna get us she just will follow baby and mom like she's family too! I do know the jersey bull's are mean so hopefully the cow's are calm.

snickers I used a Kik Stop Stik on my cows before and it worked great. My last cow Chocolate did kick me a couple times the first couple of milkings. I just learned to sit closer rather then far away and it worked pretty good. She would start licking me at the middle of my back and end up licking my head as I hand milked her. It was hilarious.
Got it to the point I would just drop a pan of ground barley in front of her and get to milking.

I think with this new one her bag was so full it was very painful. Once we got some of the milk out she settled down. Never tried to kick the milker below her either.

I have some bags of Dairy feed which has some corn, barley, mollasses and other grains all steam together. I do not want to introduce that until I need to.

On the good side if we have any twins this year we will have the milk for them. :D

TexasBred":hrgq4eez said:
bishopcattleco":hrgq4eez said:
TexasBred":hrgq4eez said:
bishop it could be anything but definitely has a lot of jersey influence, I'm not denying that. Just saying that in THIS picture she does not exhibit the more typical "dairy" qualities. As I said "My opinion" only. comprende :?:
TB you gave your opinion like he bought the cow to win the state fair.Busting peoples bubble is something you are very good at.This to is all just my opinion."comprende"I do live in America but I donk speak there spanish language.

Latest posts