weight of 4x5?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen a big range on weight 800 to 1100 pounds. What type of grass, how mature the product is and most important what brand of bailer, set at what pressures

houstoncutter":3tofdjsu said:
I have seen a big range on weight 800 to 1100 pounds. What type of grass, how mature the product is and most important what brand of bailer, set at what pressures

Older closed throat balers will bale even lighter bales. 600 - 900

you asked a loaded question.the weight of hay bales depends on alot of things.the type of grass your baling.how dry your baling it.how thick/thin it is.the type of baler your using.an how tight is the baler set to make the bale.if a baler is set to make loose bales then the bales will be light.so a 4 by 5 bale can weight tween 600 an 900lbs.

We baled over 500 bales last year. I weighted 3 bales from each pastue. They all weighted 750 lb. plus or minus 10n lbs. Hope this helps.

The above posters are right,I get a kick outa folks saying they caint make money baling for $15 a bale,because its a simple matter to lower your baler pressure and pick up your ground speed,get me and that new holland baler into fluffy windrows and we can spit em out.
Now if you are fair and want to treat folks like you want to be treated keep your pressuure set high and let the field conditions determine your ground speed.
Differnt grasses will weigh differnt because some like your bermudas are fine stemmed and pack better,compared to the cane types like the sudans.
good luck
PS weigh em is the only way for sure,guess we have all heard about the 1000 pound round bale ;-)

HAY MAKER":3e7bxni9 said:
The above posters are right,I get a kick outa folks saying they caint make money baling for $15 a bale,because its a simple matter to lower your baler pressure and pick up your ground speed,get me and that new holland baler into fluffy windrows and we can spit em out.
Now if you are fair and want to treat folks like you want to be treated keep your pressuure set high and let the field conditions determine your ground speed.
Differnt grasses will weigh differnt because some like your bermudas are fine stemmed and pack better,compa5red to the cane types like the sudans.
good luck
PS weigh em is the only way for sure,guess we have all heard about the 1000 pound round bale ;-)

Last year here is was 20 dollars a roll with a 20 roll minimum. Yes you can make money hauling your equipment to a hay field that spits out a 100 to 150 rolls. You can't do it going to all of these smaller fields that everyone wants baled that kick out 20 to 30 rolls. Cost just as much to haul equipment to the little field as it does the big one.

Caustic Burno":39oxs6xd said:
HAY MAKER":39oxs6xd said:
Differnt grasses will weigh differnt because some like your bermudas are fine stemmed and pack better,compa5red to the cane types like the sudans.
good luck

Last year here is was 20 dollars a roll with a 20 roll minimum. Yes you can make money hauling your equipment to a hay field that spits out a 100 to 150 rolls. You can't do it going to all of these smaller fields that everyone wants baled that kick out 20 to 30 rolls. Cost just as much to haul equipment to the little field as it does the big one.

You are right CB,I was exaggerating the post for the man that was wondering about round bale weights,I have a couple of old geezers that I bale for at around costs,I sure would'nt haul equipment for $15 a bale,those days are long gone.
good luck

endebt":346eo84c said:
We baled over 500 bales last year. I weighted 3 bales from each pastue. They all weighted 750 lb. plus or minus 10n lbs. Hope this helps.

750 lbs here also. We took a truck and trailer to the truckstop scale. Went back with three rolls on the trailer. Hay was mostly fescue and had been in the barn for about a month. Baled with a Vermeer 5400 Rebel.

Latest posts