Weight for breeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Not gonna lie. My dad is an old timer, he's been doing the AIing at the farm over 40 years, he's had dairy and switched to beef and always went by the standard of at least 15 months and 900 lbs.
It's worked well for him, did get him to breed my black cow when she was a heifer at 13 months, but she was that 900 lbs so he didn't protest that move.

I mostly raise my own heifers. Usually around 15 months they go to the Bull. This heifer was born 03/12/13.
She's 10 months here and will placed with two others in my spring group for the Bull latter part of May. They should be ready.
calves_kids_007.jpg

fitz

Backbone Ranch":utx6kxk4 said:
That heifer looks like she will be ready. What are you breeding her to?

I was short on heifers to begin with last spring Backbone. Then finally decided to hold only three.
They're going to a Sim/Angus composite. CE / 13.8 and
BW / - 0.9

fitz

Not knowing the age of sale barn purchases a hip height of 49 inches is a fairly good "rule of thumb" for breeding size.

If you go for 800#, what's your herd's mature weight?

I have used a 320kg minimum ~ 700# for a while now, but most of them this year are well over that, around 800#. My cows average 560kg ~ 1230#.

The bigger they are at 15 months, the easier they are to manage through pregnancy and the following year.

Fire Sweep Ranch, Kris, told me recently that there is a new study that has generated data that is contrary to previous data. I was holding 2 heifers until spring and Kris said I should breed them now. She said that breeding at 12 months is acceptable and the heifer will develope into a better cow.
I have to agree on the somewhat younger breeding. We used to lean towards letting them get a little bigger, but it seemed that we were getting huge cows. We started breeding a little earlier, and it does seem as mature cows they are somewhat smaller and are raising just as nice, or nicer calves as some of the monster cows. (I know genetics play a role here too, but)
Jenna

As I raise registered cattle I don't breed heifers until there are at least around 14 months and 750 weight. Some of my heifers wean off at 800 pounds, however are to young to breed. the commercial matket is a little different though. Being a purebred breeder, we are always looking for a herd bull, and I find that many yearas of breeding cattle, a 900 pound cow does not porduce a herd bull. All lot depends on how the heifers are handled if they are bred young and small. Feed and nutrition really help the heifer to keeping growing and mainly breed back the second time.

Putangitangi":3s27ua1h said:
If you go for 800#, what's your herd's mature weight?

I have used a 320kg minimum ~ 700# for a while now, but most of them this year are well over that, around 800#. My cows average 560kg ~ 1230#.

The bigger they are at 15 months, the easier they are to manage through pregnancy and the following year.

Our herd's mature weight is around 1200-1250 lbs. Some of our heifers reach 800 lbs by the time they hit 14 months, but we tend to breed our heifers at 18 months. Most of our heifers are in the 650-700 lb realm as a 14 month old. We know that the majority of our heifers can breed as a 14 month old, but we feel like they need to mature just a little bit more height wise.

snake67":243dowys said:
denvermartinfarms":243dowys said:
You'll probably get alot of different answers, most around here say 750lbs, but I like mine to be 800lbs or more. The bigger and older they are before there bred the first time, the better cows they will be and they will last longer.

We are an 800 pound and ready to be bred farm as well.

If they do not hit that or more by 14 months they do not stay to be bred - they go down the road. First calf will be at 23-25 months or they are definitely gone. Not my rules - that rule comes from "she who must be obeyed".

Cheers

Bez

Read your feeding program for grown cows on the protein tub thread. Do you mind to elaborate on your heifer development program? Do you just feed them higher quality hay, or do they get additional supplement?

Inyati, I was one person who mentioned that my heiferettes pretty much stopped growing (at least when measured by chest girth) after they were bred. My average cow is on the big side of "medium", most of them maturing around 1400 lbs or so. Unless a heifer calf looks particularly nice, they are usually around 650 lbs at weaning, and somewhere around 850ish at breeding, and close to 1100 at calving time. I breed at 14-15 months, but if I could wait another couple months to say... 16-18 months that would be what I consider ideal, but that would make a mess of calving time.

As calves, the mothers and calves all get the same food, but once I've decided on which ones I am keeping as replacements, they get the best I have, and as much of it as they want. As they're long yearlings and pasture season ends, I take the heiferettes and the first calvers up into the corral and feed them better hay, and they don't have to compete with the big mean girls. Typically, my first timers will wean 625 lb steers, and 575-600 lb heifer calves. One in particular last year made an exceptional steer, but it took a lot out of her.. she was really nice when she calved but by weaning she lost a lot of condition... I want to make sure she's in shape for next year and she's gained back her condition now.

Of last year's heifer calves, 2 of them have been coming into heat regularly since september (they were both 191 days old). I was glad to have them away from the bull in time!

We used to breed at 26 months, but found it took too long to build up a herd, and we still had some that weren't any good and you put too much effort into them to want to send them off, so you'd wait for the second calf to decide, at which point they're 4 and it's getting to the old side for good meat and you'd take a hit at the sale barn.. What I can say is we never had calving problems with them, while with the first calf at 2 years old you do have to watch them closer

That black heifer there looks like she'll be nicely ready to breed in a few months time.

Latest posts