Weight for breeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

You'll probably get alot of different answers, most around here say 750lbs, but I like mine to be 800lbs or more. The bigger and older they are before there bred the first time, the better cows they will be and they will last longer.

If they're sale barn heifers it's going to be hard to tell. A lot of what I've read says weight is more important than age, with most heifers cycling at about 60% of their mature body weight. Of course, if they came from the sale barn you won't know their mature weight any more than age.

Most years I buy a few heifers from the auction to throw in with the heifers I raised. My practice is to put a bull with them so they'll calf on schedule with the rest of my cows. I leave the bull on them for about 6 months and then have them palpated. I usually run about 80% bred to calf on time, so I keep those and sell the short-bred and open ones.

Breed type makes some difference too--as does frame size.
Don't know if I can get this parsed out so it's readable or not...and I personally think these weights are a little low, and bear in mind, these are estimated weights at which most of the heifers will come into heat and not necessarily the ideal breeding weights. If a lot of the total weight is in fat, the success rate will probably be lower as well.

Table 1. Estimates for heifers reaching puberty at various weights

Heifers Reaching Puberty
Breed------------------70% in heat------------90% in heat (this is % of total animals observed)
..............................lbs.....................lbs
Angus ....................600.....................650
Brahman.................725.....................750
Brangus .................650.....................700
Charolais................750.....................775
Hereford.................650.....................700
Santa Gertrudis........725.....................750
Shorthorn................600.....................650
Simmental...............750.....................775

All,

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will wait till all the heifers average at least 750 before I breed them. I plan on selling them after they are bred but I want to do all I can to ensure they don't have issues for their new owners.

Kyle

tnwalkingred":2trkj12n said:
All,

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will wait till all the heifers average at least 750 before I breed them. I plan on selling them after they are bred but I want to do all I can to ensure they don't have issues for their new owners.

Kyle
If selling the bigger the better, around here small bred heifers sell cheaper than if they were open.

tnwalkingred":2s8zv5s1 said:
Denver,

You think I should wait till they are 800 pounds? That would only be waiting another month.

Kyle
I would and it won't hurt if you do, it may be different there, but here if your going to get bred heifers sold they need to look big, long and nice, or everyone will buy cows that have already done it.

denvermartinfarms":1dy3zsqj said:
You'll probably get alot of different answers, most around here say 750lbs, but I like mine to be 800lbs or more. The bigger and older they are before there bred the first time, the better cows they will be and they will last longer.

Preface: It just occurred to me that I bet Kris is referring to studies using Simmental Cattle which is what she raises. So her info may not apply cleanly to other breeds.

Fire Sweep Ranch, Kris, told me recently that there is a new study that has generated data that is contrary to previous data. I was holding 2 heifers until spring and Kris said I should breed them now. She said that breeding at 12 months is acceptable and the heifer will develope into a better cow. Mine are probably 800 lbs. Maybe she will read this and provide a reference to the data.

I was surprised because some on here have stated that the heifer grows less after being bred. She said not true!!!

inyati13":384847du said:
I was surprised because some on here have stated that the heifer grows less after being bred. She said not true!!!

I've always felt heifers continued to grow and develop especially after becoing pregnant. For cattle purchased I'd breed based on size. For cattle raised I'd breed by age. If she'a bit small at breeding age it simply means she's likely going to be a smaller cow at maturity even though she will continue to develop during pregnancy.

They will continue to grow, but if the op is breeding then to sell, he will want them looking a little better to get top dollar.

Now this here is my opinion on that in genral. Until not to long ago I kept every heifer I had and even bought a few to breed, these were all out of the same herds and were all bred similar, 4 to 6 years out there is a major difference in the same cattle that were bred at 14 to 16 months and the ones bred at 18 to 22, breeding doesn't spot froth of course, but it slows down. All my heifers that bred older are the top end of the herds and the young ones are mostly a step down. I strongly Incourage anyone breeding heifers that is planing on keeping them to wait until atleast 18 months to breed.

I have no scientific evidence to prove this, I just have alot of experience and alot of other people that agree that say they have the same thing.

There are a ton of studies out there to show that breeding heifer to calve by the time they are two is the most productive thing to do with your herd, but you also have to manage those heifers a little different until they are three.
Here is a quote from a fact sheet at http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/liv ... 91-067.htm
"Producers should aim to calve their replacement heifers by two years of age. This practice will improve the profitability of the beef operation by offsetting the high costs of feed, labour and investment in raising replacements. To produce the maximum pounds of calves in her lifetime, a cow must calve each year starting as a two-year-old. Research from Oklahoma shows that this is indeed true-heifers calving at two years of age produced an extra 330 pounds of calf on a lifetime basis over heifers calving at three years of age."
Here is another one that specifically states that breeding to calf at two will give the heifer a longer, more productive life: http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agriculture/b ... rst-mating
"Well-managed heifers calving first at two years have a higher lifetime productivity than heifers calving first at older ages. Although some producers believe that heifers calving at two years will have retarded growth and a subsequent reduction in productivity, a number of long-term experiments have shown that this is not the case."
The important thing here is that these young bred heifers need extra attention. If you do not intend to do that, then you will be better off waiting. People who buy bred heifers off of us want a heifer that is AI bred and bred to calve by the time she is two. The prevailing thought is that she is not fertile if she does not calf by two, there must be something wrong with her. We feed them better hay, and watch that they are getting to the hay ring (now that this is winter!). We AI to calving ease Simmental bulls, and look closely at EPD's on both the heifer and the bull we plan on using. We even used a calving ease Simmental bull (Beef Maker) on an Angus heifer (14 months old). She calved right before her second birthday with a 45 pound heifer calf! A little small for my taste, but the important part to remember is she had an easy birth, is doing a fantastic job raising that heifer, and has been bred back for next year (she has not passed over yet, we just completed our breeding for fall last week). She was the only two year old that we calved out, and was the last one to come into heat after calving, so she needed a little extra time to adjust but is doing just fine.
That is just us, raising Simm influenced cattle, but it seems to work well over here :tiphat:

I have heard that you need to have your heifers at no less than 600 lbs to breed them. We tend to breed ours at around 800 lbs.

denvermartinfarms":1h4nicvx said:

We are an 800 pound and ready to be bred farm as well.

If they do not hit that or more by 14 months they do not stay to be bred - they go down the road. First calf will be at 23-25 months or they are definitely gone. Not my rules - that rule comes from "she who must be obeyed".

Cheers

Bez

denvermartinfarms":1c0l65bx said:
They will continue to grow, but if the op is breeding then to sell, he will want them looking a little better to get top dollar.

Now this here is my opinion on that in genral. Until not to long ago I kept every heifer I had and even bought a few to breed, these were all out of the same herds and were all bred similar, 4 to 6 years out there is a major difference in the same cattle that were bred at 14 to 16 months and the ones bred at 18 to 22, breeding doesn't spot froth of course, but it slows down. All my heifers that bred older are the top end of the herds and the young ones are mostly a step down. I strongly Incourage anyone breeding heifers that is planing on keeping them to wait until atleast 18 months to breed.

I have no scientific evidence to prove this, I just have alot of experience and alot of other people that agree that say they have the same thing.

We have two calving seasons, but like to calve our heifers all at the same time in the spring. We take our fall born heifers slow, basically just pasture and maybe a little liquid. We have been getting about 30-40% more bred than the yearlings. More breed back sooner, too. One thing to keep in mind is that a heifer calving at 2 is losing her baby teeth at the same time. Nothing wrong with holding them longer, if you've got the time and grass. I think the higher retention rate offsets the earlier paycheck somewhat.

Latest posts