weening with a nose ring

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old calf I need to wean I put a nose ring in a week ago I am wondering how long I can leave the calf with the cow before the ring would be a problem to the calfs nose and I need to seperate them? then i would like to know how many weeks would I need to keep them apart? I dont have a fountain by where I will corral the calf and since its winter I want to get the calf back out as soon as i can

Is the calf still sucking with the nose ring in? There are special nose ring weaners that cover the calf's mouth if he tries to nurse and are quite successful. You would not have to seperate them.
Here's an example:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_resu ... as=weaners
You would need to watch them after a month or two to see if the calf is still trying to nurse, if not, you might be able to remove it.
I never put my calves (heifers) back in the same field with the dam until they are bred the following spring.
Some calves only need to be seperated for a few weeks - some forever! :shock:

We have left a nose ring in for several months. This was on a heifer that was weaned at 7 months (separated to another pasture),then put in with the cows as a 14 month old to heat check and AI. She started nursing her dam again, even though she had been weaned for several months, so we put the nose plate on her. So it really depends on her desire to suck and the dam's desire to be rid of her. Your best bet is several months, but they can revert back :)

when I used them....I put them in on one weekend and then sperated the calves and toook them out the following weekend....

Any longer and I was getting sores in the noses...nothing major but being humane is a factor for me....

The nose rings will stop most nursing immediately....it is not uncommon to see a claf standing by a cow in a nursing position but not nursing. They are not 100%. some calves will learn to nurse around them. some calves will manage to get them out....but I would say over ninety percent will work well and eliminate the nursing....it does not complete the weaning process but it will make it a lot easier....I separated and fence line weaned with a good fence between them......The cows will accept weaning a lot quicker since they are no longer nursing.....I think it makes the process easier on the calves but not a lot quicker.

I though it was a weaning aide and not a replacement......

lakeviewwalker":3qcuz6rt said:
I have a 6 month old calf I need to wean I put a nose ring in a week ago I am wondering how long I can leave the calf with the cow before the ring would be a problem to the calfs nose and I need to seperate them? then i would like to know how many weeks would I need to keep them apart? I dont have a fountain by where I will corral the calf and since its winter I want to get the calf back out as soon as i can

I know people who have used them and think they are great.

I also know people who do not agree with what I am about to write.

I personally do not like the nose rings - in fact I think they are a "bill of goods" that MOST people mismanage.

Take that ring off and up to a couple of years later that little spoiled animal might/will start to suck an adult - especially mommy!

Separate them - for a long time - months is best.

I never put them back together until the mother has a new calf at side and that calf is the same - a mommy with one of its own - that keeps me from having issues. You might get lucky and you might not.

However - I would be willing to bet a coffee that you will have trouble in the future if you do not do as I do. If not this animal, then the next one. It is simply Russian roulette doing it your way.

So - if it were my place I would start carrying water until I could run a heated hose or a permanent water line - or sell it and use the cash to replace it with a complete stranger.

In the end it is up to you.

Sell it IMMEDIATELY if it becomes a problem.

Unless you have the time to babysit them - sooner or later that little booger will be sucking again.

Have fun and best to you.

Bez

well the calf after two weeks shows no interest in ma ma doesnt feed by her or anything but the new dilema is I got a steer from the neighbor that was orphaned in august was with the cows till november 1st and then went to their feed lot untill i got it in mid december has taken over nursing on that cow since she is the only cow I have and the rest are heifers I think I will just seperate her for a couple months

Latest posts