week old calf with front leg issues

Help Support CattleToday:

cag

Reaction score
I have a week old heifer that is buckled at the knees. She can get up and nurse and walk but her legs are bent. I would post a picture but I am not sure how to do so on this site. I also put a post up on www.steerplanet.com and I was able to post some pictures. Is on the "big Show post"if anyone would like to see a picture. anyhow I am trying to make a decision on what is best for her. I can massage her legs and she does not mind. when I put pressure on her knees and make her stand upright she can but its like her knees are not supporting her weight.as soon as I let go they go back to being bent. This issue is not at the first bend in the leg it's clearly in her knee area. Any suggestions? We have gave her a shot of bo se and ADE. thanks for info.

I had a look at your pictures. I wouldn't get too concerned about them, I've seen as bad or worse and they got better with no assistance on our part. As long as she is walking on her hooves (even tippy toe) at least part of the time she will get better.

Usually the tendons are just contracted and tight. Caused by how they have layed inside the womb. You can gently stretch them, like physical therapy if you want. But as previously stated, they will stretch out and straighten on their own eventually. Just make it easy for her to get to momma by keeping them in a smaller corral together, as opposed to a big field. And be sure she can nurse ok. Otherwise, I would not worry a bit. In a couple of weeks she will be running like the wind!

Wow I'm surprised everyone thinks this. I was starting to lose hope. We had the Vet out yesterday because the baby seemed to be in some pain ... Grinding teeth and walking more on knees. He was wondering if it was something more in joints or shoulders or nerves but said without X-rays it was hard to tell. I'm confused as what to do with her . We live about an hour from Ohio state --- just not sure to wait it out... Put her down???... Or take her in ? The vet didn't think it was good. The baby will nurse .. No temp.... Just kind of blaw. She looks terrible whe. She nurses because she goes down to knees. She also seems like the more she walks the more pain she is in . We do have her confined to a pen with momma. Views??? Opinions ??? What to do ???

Yea she walks but knees are bent out as she walks. When she nurses she is basically almost on knees.
She will nurse and basically go lay down . Just talked to a vet at OSU and going to send her some pictures. If they can do a work up on her fairly cheap I may take her .
I hate to lose one if she has a chance but do not want it to cost a fortune either
If I knew she is not in pain I would wait it out but the teeth grinding yesterday got to me. Today it is not a bad but seems to be breathing kind of heavy . This is just weird I have never seen anything like it. Thanks for all your help and input

cag":2jbpnu3y said:
Wow I'm surprised everyone thinks this. I was starting to lose hope. We had the Vet out yesterday because the baby seemed to be in some pain ... Grinding teeth and walking more on knees. He was wondering if it was something more in joints or shoulders or nerves but said without X-rays it was hard to tell. I'm confused as what to do with her . We live about an hour from Ohio state --- just not sure to wait it out... Put her down???... Or take her in ? The vet didn't think it was good. The baby will nurse .. No temp.... Just kind of blaw. She looks terrible whe. She nurses because she goes down to knees. She also seems like the more she walks the more pain she is in . We do have her confined to a pen with momma. Views??? Opinions ??? What to do ???

Stay out of mother nature's way.

With out seeing the calf I would have thought bowed tendons, especially if it is a large frame calf, very common with Holsteins. I too don't like the tight jaw, teeth grinding. If you have had a bona-fide vet out to look at it you are way ahead of any online advice. If its just very bad bowed tendons or calcified joints you may have to splint the legs to help straiten them out .@

I would post a pic on here but I am unsure of how to. There are some pictures on the web site I posted my original post on . Steerplanet

It sounds like the vet sees something that we are not. Best to follow what he recommends over our guesses. I have had several born with contracted tendons, that is no big deal. If it is more than that, you need the vet.

Was this a large animal vet that saw her? If so, has probably seen a lot of contracted tendons. And able to recognize it right away. How does the navel look? Nice and dried up, with no drainage or swelling?
Navel ill can cause joint infection and swelling. But joint infections from Navel ill show up days or weeks later.
If she was born contracted, it is not from navel ill. There is always the possibility that there is more than one thing going on.
However, if the tendons are just tight, it can be painful when stretching them. And she will get tired after nursing, and spend a lot of time laying down. So that part would be normal. I have had calves and horse with tendons so contracted that they walked on their fetlock joint. In those cases, I have splinted them with pvc pipe. But as long as they are walking on their hoof toe, I would leave them alone.

Another treatment used with horses for severely, (and I mean severely contracted tendons,) is to release them by surgically cutting the ligament that attaches the tendon to the bone. To allow it to drop down normally. This is called a Check Ligament surgery. Fairly simple operation really. But I don't think you are there yet! And, I by no means think your calf is hopeless!

Update on baby heifer ... The vet gave her a few shots and we decided to wait it out and not take her for X-rays .. We splinted one leg and every day she seems a little better. She is nursing and even running a tiny bit .. Hopefully she will continue to prove. Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. We had a baby heifer born valentines night and she has a white heart on her side too cute :heart:

I would llove to but I have no idea how to post pictures on this site ??

heart_heifer.jpg

OMGosh! That is a perfect heart! :heart: So awesome! Looks like Dun got the picture up for you. I have the same problem with pics and videos. I am catching on though. Try putting them on photo bucket. (I was advised of this.) Much easier.

Latest posts