week old calf with front leg issues

Help Support CattleToday:

Yea thank you Dun :)
I am new to this site ... Hopefully I will learn more about posting and about cattle

NCLiz 3":26e8ii0w said:
cag,
Check your PM. private messages
Liz
Liz, have you not ever seen a calf or foal with contracted tendons from laying curled up in the womb????? Just curious. :D
Because this is a text book example. A calf that was sick, would be sick! :help:

branguscowgirl":3hoibft5 said:
NCLiz 3":3hoibft5 said:
cag,
Check your PM. private messages
Liz
Liz, have you not ever seen a calf or foal with contracted tendons from laying curled up in the womb????? Just curious. :D
Because this is a text book example. A calf that was sick, would be sick! :help:
Don't worry, he/she will teach us from all information he got from a book or on the internet....

Liz, have you not ever seen a calf or foal with contracted tendons from laying curled up in the womb????? Just curious.
Yes! Many of them and so has SL.
He even posted pics on here of one he had, complete with his home made splints.

Because this is a text book example. A calf that was sick, would be sick!
Yea she walks but knees are bent out as she walks. When she nurses she is basically almost on knees. buckled at the knees walk but her legs are bent
If that is tendinitis it is extremely rear case!
Plus this calf has other symptoms unrelated to tendinitis.
the teeth grinding yesterday got to me
teeth grinding is a symptom of pain, and tendinitis is not that painful, even when attempting to stand.
We have gave her a shot
There can be temporary relief by giving it a shot.

And that is not out of a book, it's from a life time caring for cattle.
Liz

Sir loin, medicine woman, nc liz 2,nc liz3, john baker, etc.

"CONCLUSION

The poliencephalomalacia is an entity related to multiple factors, which causes neurological changes in ruminants. The diagnosis of PEM is based on clinical signs, laboratory analysis and history of the herd management. Gray matter necrosis to cavitation in occipital and temporal regions are considered pathognomonic changes for PEM."

And you can diagnose from a paragraph! :lol2:

This person came here looking for help.
I am now convinced you've never been within 50 feet of a bovine.
But you are entertaining.

NCLiz 3":3p9wq2qy said:
Liz, have you not ever seen a calf or foal with contracted tendons from laying curled up in the womb????? Just curious.
Yes! Many of them and so has SL.
He even posted pics on here of one he had, complete with his home made splints.

Because this is a text book example. A calf that was sick, would be sick!
Yea she walks but knees are bent out as she walks. When she nurses she is basically almost on knees. buckled at the knees walk but her legs are bent
If that is tendinitis it is extremely rear case!
Plus this calf has other symptoms unrelated to tendinitis.
the teeth grinding yesterday got to me
teeth grinding is a symptom of pain, and tendinitis is not that painful, even when attempting to stand.
We have gave her a shot
There can be temporary relief by giving it a shot.

And that is not out of a book, it's from a life time caring for cattle.
Liz
No one ever said that the calf has "tendinitis". This just shows how very little that you know about contracted tendons. I will no longer discuss this with you, because you do not have a clue of what I am talking about.

Update on baby today ... She is walking everyday on her hoofs a little better and always seems better in the mornings, which makes me think it is her tendons ... She will get tired and buckle. She is still nursing and does run around at times and them seems to forget she has some leg issues.
She has not been grinding her teeth. I plan on really watching her good this weekend as we will be doing some cleaning in the barn getting ready for a litter of pigs.
I want to thank you all for your time in helping me with this baby.
Liz - I did read about PEM a lot and I just don't think my baby has that. I am courous as to if you have ever seen PEM In a cow and how many head of cattle you manage ? This site sounds like you all have some good info and just makes me wonder how many head everyone is managing?
We have 10 and I have four babies so far with three more due
Thank u all

cag":1r22i47v said:
Update on baby today ... She is walking everyday on her hoofs a little better and always seems better in the mornings, which makes me think it is her tendons ... She will get tired and buckle. She is still nursing and does run around at times and them seems to forget she has some leg issues.
She has not been grinding her teeth. I plan on really watching her good this weekend as we will be doing some cleaning in the barn getting ready for a litter of pigs.
I want to thank you all for your time in helping me with this baby.
Liz - I did read about PEM a lot and I just don't think my baby has that. I am courous as to if you have ever seen PEM In a cow and how many head of cattle you manage ? This site sounds like you all have some good info and just makes me wonder how many head everyone is managing?
We have 10 and I have four babies so far with three more due
Thank u all

Glad the calf is coming around. I didn't comment earlier because I would have most likely left it be for a while. When I feel I have a severe problem I contact my Vet.

Noticed you joined the boards this month. Welcome. The more you read, the more familiar you become with the various posters. There are many very cattle savy folks that come here and offer great advice that has helped me a lot. However, often I think some are sitting in a one room apt. in Queens reading out of a book. If I took everything I've read here to heart, I would have shot all mine by now. That's the internet. You just learn to consider the source. Good luck with the cattle and hope youy stick around as it's a great board.

fitz

Fitz- wow 230 babies ... That's a lot of cattle
Ignore the comment from bronsonk1 lol that's my hubby trying to make me sell out and move to HOT Florida. He acts like he don't like cattle but really he does :) thanks again for the info I will keep you all informed .

cag":2cs31fna said:
Fitz- wow 230 babies ... That's a lot of cattle
Ignore the comment from bronsonk1 lol that's my hubby trying to make me sell out and move to HOT Florida. He acts like he don't like cattle but really he does :) thanks again for the info I will keep you all informed .

I wish. Those are randi's numbers. They have a very impressive setup. Look for her pictures on here. Knock the 2 off and you'll be closer to my moma cows.

fitz

Oh now I see that... Ok Wow Randi :). Well best of luck in the rest of calving season everyone . :cboy:

Latest posts