weather

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied":1p6ntw6g said:
No school again tomorrow! Out Monday through Wednesday for ice, went back today and was sent home early when sleet and freezing drizzle started to fall. Temp is supposed to drop to around 0 tonight with -15 windchill. Three heifers due to calve any day - I love it! I'm just glad we aren't having to deal with what you northerners are facing! I'm not sure I love it that much!

Wednesday when it was 25 below, 30 mph winds, snow, blizzard conditions with -49 chill factor, they still had school. They finally sent the rural kids home before noon. Today they had school, but did not run buses or require rural kids to go since all the roads are plugged. The same for tommorrow since they were unable to get the roads cleared.
But school was still open- Schools will only close in Montana when HELL freezes over!!

Oldtimer, you all are a lot tougher than we are! We had a family move in from Michigan that was used to cold temps and lots of snow. They couldn't believe it the first time school was called off for snow said we didn't even have a foot yet! Problem here is that we don't have enough snow for most people to know how to drive on it. They get a fancy 4x4 and think they are ready for anything! Hope you all stay warm and safe and get a break soon!

made into town tonight on the polaris. folks said there record snow fall here for jan. over 12 feet this mounth wow.good thing for snowmobiles?well still snowing roads still unpassable but the folks downtown.needless to say i love the snow ??????????

Last year we had 37 inches total and whined about what a miserable snowy winter it was.
Last nght it only got down to 24, today it got clear up to 24. HMMMM
It's now 8 and still going down.
It's beginning to look like today was the warmest(?) it's going to be for a week.
Makes me long for the desert again. Maybe I'm not "dunmovin"

dun

Anonymous":3ima8iss said:
Craig-TX":3ima8iss said:
Oldtimer":3ima8iss said:
bward":3ima8iss said:
Its -32 here this morning ( again) but now its windy and the wind chill factor is -48. The news said Saskatachewan is -46 without windchill.

Is any one calving in this? Is anyone wondering where this global warming is? .......and when the heck is it going to get here?

We have about the same down here in Montana- Solid week of blizzards with one days break to dig out. 4 inches of new snow yesterday on top of the 4 feet we've already recieved. Now its -20 with 30mph winds, -49 chill factor and more snow. Roads are all plugged- and this is supposed to continue on into the weekend!!

I wish a few of those global warming guys would come up here and help me feed for a few days. Get some hands on scientific study.

The thing that amazes me is how the Indians were able to survive. I assume they would head for the low country and hunker down all winter but it still must have been downright miserable.

Craig-TX

Winters like this make you appreciate how tough the Indians and the old homesteaders were. Can you imagine spending a winter in a one room shack 30 miles from the nearest town? Tough, tough people.

I am starting to realize why all those old homesteaders in their one room shacks had 12-15 kids-- all with birthdates in Sept. and Oct.

After listening to all of these post about freezing weather, it makes these mild winters here in Tx. worth suffering through 100+ in the summer.

yeah, JPO, it has been an extremely mild winter so far. We haven't had any ice storms and not too many days below freezing, but we usually get a few cold blasts in february, and I can remember a few ice storms around my birthday, which is in early february.
Off the subject, we go through Madisonville on our way to the deer lease, which is in Lometa. I can go down I35 towards Austin and get there quicker, but we like to go the backroads and go through Hico, Evant and Madisonville instead and check out the scenery. By the way, I really get a kick out the 6 man football games in that part of the state, my kids and I usually try to catch at least one a yr on our way down! Beautiful country you are living in!

JPO":2k1yss0r said:
After listening to all of these post about freezing weather, it makes these mild winters here in Tx. worth suffering through 100+ in the summer.

30 below this morning in Montana- but luckily no wind.

im in a heat wave.30 here this morning feed with a sweet shirt on.were getting anthore 7 -10 inchs toniteon tp of the 8 or 9 feet we got allready.cows been really packing in the feed this winter

JPO":1azqw987 said:

We have 100+ temps in summer and 2 foot of snow now

Man, you guys must really be going through some hay in that kind of weather! I notice my 4 cows hay intake increases drastically when the temp drops to around 30°, cant imagine what they would eat in below 0° temps!
Also, I noticed that the water intake decreases as the temp gets colder. I have a automatic waterer on the tub, but I unhook it from the faucet when it's supposed to get below freezing, and I notice it doesnt even go down 1/2 way on really cold days. I always fill it up after work, when the temps are usually always above frezing, then unhook the hose at night. To show how lucky we've been , I have only had to break ice out of the tub 3 times so far!

For a long time we couldn't get to one patch of stocks, snow too drifted and they hadn't plowed it out. The cows looked great still when we got there. There was enough wind to blow all the snow off of the tops of the hills and they did some digging and they are holding up great without more than 2 bales a week and this is 85 cows on a half section of milo stocks. Amazing 4 pounds of DDGs and stocks keep them through, even in this weather.

Ellie May":27rv5yu7 said:
I'm glad I live in Tennessee. We are very fortunate to have not too cold winters or hot summers. And we actually get 4 seasons.
Ellie May

What's the weather like in fantasy petting zoo land? Blond to quite Blond?

You can make fun of me, you can make fun of my animals but when you make fun of me, my animals & my state, then you must really think your a big bad wolf don't you? To pick on a 15 year old girl who loves & raises animals who lives in tennessee is that how much time & effort you have to spend. For that you could of bought a Boer Goat by now.
Ellie May

Just to update you in the sunny south- we have a near hurricane blizzard going today in Montana- Glendive weather bureau reports that at one time today the wind was 59mph with gusts to 77 mph- And snow blowing everywhere. Almost every road in eastern Montana is closed- even the interstate.
Wind has been howling like that all day and supposed to last through the night. Had 1 inch of new snow and supposed to get 2 more tonight on top of the 25-30 we already have. If you could find the road, the only way through would be 4 wheel drive tractor.
Hopefully this goes down by morning so I can start digging out to get cows fed.

I know how u feel .getting more lake effect here they say 8 more inchs today winds blowing like crazy 15 foot snow drifts all ready good thing barns stocked with lots of feed this winter .its been a rough one.

Here in Tx we are getting the lake effect as well, literally. It has rained pretty much non-stop for the past 3 days. The pastures are so wet feeding is getting to be an adventure. The guy next door started building an ark.

Latest posts