Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2x6xp965 said:
Dun - that would be interesting. I KNOW my calves (or many of them) would go right back to sucking after 60 days - and we fenceline like you. Don't know how you get away with it. Ours stay seperated til they are bred.

It has been recommended here for 45 - 60 days for weaning. I have found at 45 days, you have several that will go back to sucking. At 60 days, there is the occasional one that tries, so I watch them close for a few days after bringing them back into the field. If they start sucking, they get removed again for another 30 days...

We fenceline wean with a board fence and 2 strands of hot wire, one on top and one at nose level. Heifers don't go back until breeding season or later. I am certain that I have one cow that would've let her calf nurse 3 months later; she would go the the fence every day and groom her calf through the boards until we shipped him.

Through the years we've had exactly one heifer go back to sucking. Problem is she was 15 months old and getting ready to be bred when she started. The cows she was with had all calved months before. She fattened nicely but was a bit chewy.

Latest posts