Bottle calves and what to do when weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

TristianArielle

Reaction score
So I have 2 bottle calves that are about 5 months old and I just started weaning them off this week and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right ):
I slowly decreased the amount of milk replaced in the bottles but kept the same amount of water until today I was hoping to stop milk all together, and they eat about 2 pounds each of grain everyday, along with they graze of grass and eat hay, is that the right way? And how do I tell if they need to eat more? They always want a bottle during feeding times but I fell like they might just do that cause its routine, please lmk if I'm doing it right

Doesn't sound wrong. We never diluted their bottles, just cut out feedings. No more morning bottle for a couple wks then no more bottles all together. I don't know if that's right, but it's what we've always done.

Same advise. Never diluted a bottle, just slowly cut back. My bottle calves are generally with the herd so they usually rob off other cows and wean themselves from the bottle. I get them started on cubes pretty early.

This one is called Failure To Launch. Yeah, she's 3.

Latest posts