weaning ideas anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
I have limited housing for the few critters we have, and often our weather is harsh enough that shelter of some sort is in order.
I have a cow / calf that I have seperated for weaning, and everything is fine, but due to the lack of housing I need to put them back together for shelter as the rough winter weather arrive. Believe me the weather can be harsh in this neck of the woods.
I considered using a "butterfly" weaner in her nose, but all that we can find in the feed stores is huge things that would fit a grown animal, and this heifer may end up being a show animal, so really don't want to use a crown weaner and pierce the nose.is there smaller sized "butterfly" weaners out there
Any ideas out there?

How long is she going to be weaned before she's back together with momma?

Yes, I don't envy your weather! It's surprising what a 100 miles as the crow flies will do

Heading into late fall early winter,
I need them back into the same shelter area ASAP,as the weather can turn pretty ugly real fast the later we go into the fall.
I realize that sucking instinct can be pretty persistant though, and need it broken quickly.
branguscowgirl, I am looking for the much smaller "butterfly" weaners that screw/clamp into the nose, but have never seen the smaller size. not anywhere.
Is this the smaller size you are refering to?
Thanks..

IDK these are plastic and just clamp in the nose. They have several different kinds designed for calves. You would just have to look and see if they are what you want. They are not permanent and would be removed for showing.

wow,plastic,
must be somesthing new, always just saw the old metal huge things that wouild fit a bull!thanks, will try to check it out-my time is really scrambled right now!

wow,plastic,
must be somesthing new, always just saw the old metal huge things that wouild fit a bull!thanks, will try to check it out-my time is really scrambled right now!

Go to valley vet website. Put weaning in the search box. There are 2 different styles of clip on plastic ones. I am sure many other places sell them also. Shipping is usually just a matter of days. We also had a whole thread on here awhile back about them.

Nite Hawk":2k313fdf said:
I have limited housing for the few critters we have, and often our weather is harsh enough that shelter of some sort is in order.
I have a cow / calf that I have seperated for weaning, and everything is fine, but due to the lack of housing I need to put them back together for shelter as the rough winter weather arrive. Believe me the weather can be harsh in this neck of the woods.
I considered using a "butterfly" weaner in her nose, but all that we can find in the feed stores is huge things that would fit a grown animal, and this heifer may end up being a show animal, so really don't want to use a crown weaner and pierce the nose.is there smaller sized "butterfly" weaners out there
Any ideas out there?

Rig a hoop house using a cattle panel, a few steel posts and/or a 2X4 frame that the cattle panel is stapled onto. Cover it with a tarp or canvess that has been treated with Scotch Gard to make it waterproof. Bed it deep with straw or old hay. It will give the calf protection from snow, wind, and keep him/her warm.

That's a great idea msscamp! I have had a sagging tarp over an area in my corral this summer for shade. I will use a cattle panel as you described next time I need to pen someone up in there.

Latest posts