Weaning age

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
We have a couple of calves that someone wants to buy. They are 4 months old, healthy, eating feed also. Is 4 months too young?
Thanks, Colleen

I would probably sell them so that I wouldn't have any more money invested in them. Saves the cost of feed for 2 months and fuel hauling them to the auction barn.

Younger than I would want to buy them at, but as long as the buyer understands they're gonna bawl and walk the fences, let him buy them. I just brought home one that was supposed to be 6 months, but I think was closer to 5 mo and she's doing fine, but I kept her penned for 2 weeks on grain, creep and hay. If he/she is someone you know and want to keep in good stead with, let him know he should have some dry matter available to them if he has really lush grass especially if he's been getting lots of rainfall. They'll be poopin liquid till they get used to it otherwise.

We advertised 2 for sale and then when they came they saw a couple of the 5 month ones and want them. Wasn't really ready to sell them yet but might as well if someone wants them. They have always been on pasture and they have been eating feed since a little over 1 month old. They are now in this little acre and a half lot up here and we have started fence weaning them this evening. It is TERRIBBLE!! :cry: They are running up and down and yelling of course. 3 will be going this weekend. The youngest I was wanting to keep. She is a fine calf. But my husband does not want to and I really don't want to have to separate her from the bull for 8 or 9 months. And then bring her somewhere else to another bull to be bred. So she is going. :(

I have another question.....would it be bad of us to just let them back out and when these people come to pick them up, load them up and let them deal with the bellowing?? It's going to happen anyway cuz they will be in a stranger ace. Or is it just too much at once?

Thanks! Please give some advice. What would you do??

Colleen

They will bellow at the new place regardless if they are completely weaned or not. Do what is easiest for you. Many calves have been weaned on the trailer.

Thank you Chippie! That makes me feel better. LOL. I think they will be fine. Right now they are separated but it was an extremely loud night! We need to put the weaning lot towards the back of the pasture!
Colleen

Or practice fenceline weaning. Distance doesn;t hel all that much, Our neigbor almost half a mile away weans and we can still hear them bawling for days.

Yeah. They can hear a good mile down the road! Gotta keep those fences in good shape. A man down the road had a couple newly purchased calves that got out looking for mom. One ended up in our pasture and the other got hit by a car.

chippie":2o8wf73f said:
I would probably sell them so that I wouldn't have any more money invested in them. Saves the cost of feed for 2 months and fuel hauling them to the auction barn.

Agree.
If they are being supplemented, They will miss mom but they will survive.
Someone sold us one at 2 1/2 months that wasn't eating much, oh he was an upset little fella.

Latest posts