What age does a bull start breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen one successfully breed at 8 months. Had a little trouble getting up there but he did the deed and the heifer produced a calf. Beefmaster
Had the same problem when I started. Bought a younger bull that got all the cows bred but the two larger frame cows he couldn't quite reach. Not sure if he ended up getting them on a hill or grew enough, but those two taller cows were a few months behind the rest of the herd calving.

To be safe, starting at 6 months I would separate him from any females. you didn't want bred. Brahmas mature sexually slower than British cattle, so that may help him being 25% Brahma. WHat breed is the dairy blood in him?
Okay! I did separate him, except, he's with my show heifer… I should probably pull her out of the pasture. The dairy is Dutch Belted

Sexual maturity depends a lot on breed and WEIGHT. Looks like you are doing a good job feeding him, so in a few months he could be ABLE to breed. Not that I would recommend putting him with females to let him breed. "Normally", you wouldn't put a bull out with females until he is about 14-16 months old. At that age, he should be able to handle a dozen females, if you continue to grow him out properly.

Had the same problem when I started. Bought a younger bull that got all the cows bred but the two larger frame cows he couldn't quite reach. Not sure if he ended up getting them on a hill or grew enough, but those two taller cows were a few months behind the rest of the herd calving.
They grow into the job.

Ken