What age does a bull start breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford Lover101

Reaction score
Howdy y'all, hope everyone is doin well.

This is my first time with a bull of our own and we kept him from our herd. He's currently 6th months old, when will he be of age to breed? He's 25% Dairy, 25% Brahman, and 50% Black Angus.

I have only kept 2 bulls for a buyer and it seemed like about 10 months old when they started having extension when trying to mount herd mates.

How many cows are you looking to breed him to? I have bought yearlings to breed a handful of cows before when something has happened to my other bulls and needed a replacement quickly. Ideally they would be a little older than that, but they can do it. It's just good to give them some supplement to help them along since they are still growing and can run themselves down pretty quickly chasing cows at that age.

I have only kept 2 bulls for a buyer and it seemed like about 10 months old when they started having extension when trying to mount herd mates.
I've seen one successfully breed at 8 months. Had a little trouble getting up there but he did the deed and the heifer produced a calf. Beefmaster

I'd say they can breed at around 8 months. I'd also say they should be 20-24 months before being allowed to breed. Too many bad things can happen to a young bull if allowed to breed more than a few head.

This is my first time with a bull of our own and we kept him from our herd. He's currently 6th months old, when will he be of age to breed? He's 25% Dairy, 25% Brahman, and 50% Black Angus.
Some English breeds are hot at six months especially a Hereford.

How many cows are you looking to breed him to? I have bought yearlings to breed a handful of cows before when something has happened to my other bulls and needed a replacement quickly. Ideally they would be a little older than that, but they can do it. It's just good to give them some supplement to help them along since they are still growing and can run themselves down pretty quickly chasing cows at that age.
He gonna breed 1-2 cows of ours and my grandpas herd, which is well over 5 cows now

He's no better or worse looking than most average purebred Angus I see. Not much if any ear and only a small amount if any excess skin from the Brahman side. If he throws solid black calves you should be good to go.
Awesome!
Thanks.
He's my show bull, excited to see how he does come September.

To be safe, starting at 6 months I would separate him from any females. you didn't want bred. Brahmas mature sexually slower than British cattle, so that may help him being 25% Brahma. WHat breed is the dairy blood in him?

Latest posts