Weaned Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Outrigger2

Reaction score
Weaned 188 calves the other day. sure is nice and loud here. :D :D . steers and heifers avg 50 more pounds than last years calves. having a bit more rain sure helped.

We held off weaning an extra few weeks because of the great grass from all our rain. Cows are in good condition.
I weaned 31 calves Wed - fenceline method. Cows bawled more than calves. Calves were pretty content. Just gave cows a new pasture this morning & they willingly left (they had been in a pasture close to calves pasture).
I called neighbors & gave them "fair warning" of the upcoming noise. I put 2 fall heifers with the group, so they "taught" them to come to grain right off. Yesterday only about 6-8 new ones ate grain, but this morning just about all of them "tasted" it.

i think the cows bawled more than the calves here as well. the calves just started walking the fence lines. seem pretty quite compared to last year. the 1st calf heifers seemed to be the loudest...everything is new to them :)

The sound of money isn't it.

I wean mine and put them at my dad's place, brother does the same thing. So, we don't have to put up with it. ;-)

about day 4 it gets quiet because they lose their mooers. it is a sense of accomplishment when weaning comes around.

always funny how during the week the calves stay in their pasture, but when the weekends get here, it is a differrent story. had some heifer calves get out...but they hopefully can't go past the secondary fences. only time will tell....sneaky beast

I didn't check the "sign" - but it must have been right. Weaned Wed evening - by Friday AM most all were peaceful. Not one calf lost it's voice! Neighbors must be happy!
Actually, with cattlemen that have jobs off farm - weekend escapees would be best :D

saw some coyotes late that afternoon....steers got spooked tore up some fence. a few foot injuries. :(

Latest posts