Weak newborn calf, not standing on its own.

Help Support CattleToday:

zman6133

Reaction score
I had a calf born this morning at 0600 hrs, we watched it for a while to see if we could make sure it was nursing. It struggled to get up but could not manage to make it happen. We did not want to take any chances so we fed it colostrum and made sure it got the right amount. I tried to help it stand up about every two hours but it just seems to unsteady to do it on its own. We were worried about the bad weather coming this evening so we locked the mother and calf in the barn and are checking on them about every two hours. The calf tries to get up but it appears that its leg are way to weak to support it. I tried to help it several times but am running out of ideas. We also gave it half a bottle of milk replacer just make sure it had something in its stomach. The mother wants it to nurse and talks to it non-stop but it just can't seem to make it to its feet. It is not pre-mature, it is fully developed, and it looks healthy and acts normal, except for the not standing thing! HELP!

Yes, we talked to the Vet this morning but am looking for a little more in the way of experience in dealing with this thing. He said that we should just keep helping the calf to try and get up but I know for a fact that if the calf is not eating, it is only getting weaker and will just begin to slide downhill very quickly.

Checked the calf over for abnormalities? cleft palate, teeth through the gums (premie if not), anus present? Are the legs straight? tendons contracted? angular limb deformities, ie legs not straight side to side?

If he looks normal otherwise, check his temp - 101-102ish is normal for a calf. Cold temps could keep him down. Was he a big calf? If he was cramped inside it may take him a bit to get going. If he's warm, cow is talking to him, he's trying to get up - my best guess is just to continue to feed him and give him a day or two to come around.

I would get some selelnium from the vet and try a shot of that. Unless the cow was in seriously bad body condition the selenium is the first thing that comes to mind.

Updates?

What I have found that invigorates calves is to firmly rub them/massage them with an old towel. You are simulating the cow bathing it with her tongue which is rough as sandpaper. A calf that is listless will all of the sudden start hopping around after it has had a firm rub down.

I was hoping to hear of any progress the calf may have made.

Update:

The calf and its mother are now out in a pasture on their own. The calf is still a little unsteady but making progress every day. We gave it a BO-SE and Vitamin A,D & E shot within the first 24 hours and that has seemed to make the difference. I think it will continue to get better every day. I want to thank everyone for the advice and help with this calf! Thank you all.

Latest posts