Weak Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

shebilly

Reaction score
Hi my name's Viki, I lurk here mostly reading posts, sort of learning what I can from you good folks.
We live in NW Florida and have 80+ head of Cattle.
Today I have a question, we have two calves, one born last week and the other two days ago that both appear to be weak and wobbly legged.
The first calf lost her Momma never got her milk in and we put the calf with another Momma who a calf a week older that we knew would take her and so far that has went well, the calf is nursing good, she's putting on weight, has a shiney coat and is super friendly but she is real wobbly when she stands and walks around, and seems to have a lump in the area of her umbilical cord.
The second calf is two days old and apears very weak this morning, Momma has a huge milk bag and seems to be trying to do her job, we have started trying her on a little milk replacer today to try and boost her up until I can get the Vet tomorrow to check on both calves.
Both these Momma's my husband bought at a sale in Jan. '07
so I'm unsure of anything before they got here, we have never seen this problem in any other calves, so any help would be deeply appreciated until I can get the vet in the morning.
Please forgive me for any spelling mistakes, spelling never was really my thing...
And Thanks ahead for any advice...

it sounds like calf 1 is doing okay but may have a navel infection. better get that checked out, lest you want a runty poor-doing calf. not getting colostrum didnt help matters.

calf two doesnt sound so hot. you need to be certain he is getting milk from its mother. just because she has a big bag and is willing doesnt mean there is A) milk in there or B) that the calf is actually getting milk. make sure. the cows milk will be FAR better than any milk replacer you could give and it sounds like this calf didnt get any colostrum either...

Thanks Beefy for the advice, We're heading back out to check the younger heifer and Momma Cow right after lunch, and I will definitly have the Vet check the navel infection thing tomorrow on the older one. We gave the first calf the colostrum replacement but I'm not sure it was soon enough and I know it's not as good as the real thing.

Had a weak calf this spring. It was about 10 days early and couldn't stand and nurse. I ended up with the cow in the head catch and the calf across my lap while sitting on a 5gal. bucket. Calf is doing great.
Sometimes with the weak ones if they have not gotten up to suck in about 4-5 hours it is best to help them if the cow is calm enough.
Like Beefy said check and see if the cow is letting down her milk. I was shown a cow that looked like it would have a ton of milk, but the bag was empty.
I was chewed out by a vet one time for giving a new born some milk replacer. The colostrum I had stored was still frozen at the time.
Let us know how it is going.

Good news both calves are doing well and all is good again at least for today, Thanks for the help...

Latest posts