We bought a show heifer tonight

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
My daughter bought the hannibal/Meyer heifer she has been looking at. We pick her up next weekend. We saw her about 4-6 weeks ago and she has really grown since then. This should be the last one we buy for a loooong time (except for the shorthorn we promised her-but hopefully that will come next spring).

I don't mean to sound rude so please don't take this the wrong way..

But what is the plan? You have Limousin Heifers, Hereford Heifers, Clubby Heifers, and soon to be a shorthorn. Are we showing them til they calve and sell them? Keep them for breeding or eating them? As far as building a functional herd, I don't think buying every breed would be the best option. \

Anyway congratulations on the new calf, the bloodlines are there for here to be nice, can't wait to see some pictures.

That is true what above you need to look at your goals if you want to do any improving its much easier working with one breed but if your planning on attempting to hit a club calf market then I dont see any thing different lots of club calf operation have a variation of breeds so it all depends on what you want to do or maybe its just a way to stay close to kids thats always good to good luck

The limis belong to the grownups in this family and if we had our way, that's how we would focus. We have wanted to try some limi heifers for years, we got the opportunity and jumped. My kids got their agri loans this spring. My son has talked about herefords for quite a while now. We have a friend that raises them so he got a decent deal on a few. His oldest one is a bred heifer and he's already had a neighbor show some interest in her calf if it's a bull. He is also talking about learning to AI. He will be 13 this week and I worry about the things he could get into, so if we foster his interest in these cattle we can't go wrong. Could we have a vet in our future with him? We would like for him to show one of our limis, but his first words when he saw them were"they are ugly". My daughter started out looking for the shorthorn and in my quest for one, I found her maine heifer. If you know 10 yr old girls you'll understand "love at first sight!" She had a bad experience with her baldie heifer last year and we needed something she could handle. This one is broke and has done alot to build her confidence up. She couldn't let her brother have all the fun with the herefords, so she bought the one he didn't. Also, in my quest for a shorthorn, we found this nice heifer about an hour from our place, went and looked at her and bought her. We are hoping to raise a few club calves to make their payments, so we will have a variety. We may not be making the best decisions, but time will tell. We let the kids make their decisions with our guidence and this is what we came up with. I just want them to participate in something wholesome and maybe this will keep them focused on something good and worthwhile.

showmomof2":1s4ah5xw said:
http://www.showsteers.com/Melson I have never posted a link before but I will try. The heifer is the hannibal heifer on this page. These are super nice people to deal with if your looking for a calf.

Is this her?

HannMeyer.jpg

Show Mom- i admire you for letting your kids break away from "your breed" and get into what keeps them interested. My kids don't show black angus like I would like them to since that's what i've grown up with, but i know that as long as they are in the ring that they are out of trouble so we show what keeps them interested and busy and I do not regret it.

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, blackangus. My husband and I were looking at the heifers tonight and I told him that no matter what anyone thought we have a nice group of heifers that weren't to expensive that the kids will have fun with, then retire them to be mama's. (The tax deductions won't hurt either!)

Real nice heifer!
You are doing what is best for your kids, I applaud you!
Showing is absolutely the best way to keep them out of trouble. If they have the interest, keep them going.
And it's good that they have different breeds, so they aren't competing against each other, except in showmanship.

Jean, I am assuming you raise simentals by your user name. This heifer is being registered as a low % simental (50%). How do you think she will fare against higher % calves? I am not quite sure how these % breeds work yet but am trying to learn. Thanks.

Showmom, im not Jeanne, but I will tell you what I know about % Simmentals. In my experience, they do not show against Registered Simmentals untill Overall Championships. Some Shows do not have a % Simmental Class, and the heifer would then show as a Commercial, or Crossbred. % Simmentals are allowed to show at Simmental Nationals, Regionals, and such, but show as %, againts % heifers. Percent Simmentals (aka Foundation Simmentals in MN) are a lot like Appendix Shorthorns, if you are more familiar with that. Anyone please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

I think she will do just fine in a % class. She is by far my favorite heifer that you have posted. I like a lot of things about her. I would just want to deepen her out a bit, and clean up her front end. Heavier bone wouldnt hurt either. Good Luck with her! I hope your daughter does well.

karlie45":rimvyqgg said:
Showmom, im not Jeanne, but I will tell you what I know about % Simmentals. In my experience, they do not show against Registered Simmentals untill Overall Championships. Some Shows do not have a % Simmental Class, and the heifer would then show as a Commercial, or Crossbred. % Simmentals are allowed to show at Simmental Nationals, Regionals, and such, but show as %, againts % heifers. Percent Simmentals (aka Foundation Simmentals in MN) are a lot like Appendix Shorthorns, if you are more familiar with that. Anyone please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

I think she will do just fine in a % class. She is by far my favorite heifer that you have posted. I like a lot of things about her. I would just want to deepen her out a bit, and clean up her front end. Heavier bone wouldnt hurt either. Good Luck with her! I hope your daughter does well.

Arkansas has a huge commercial heifer show circuit; they can also show bulls at most of their shows. That was one the hardest things to get used to when I went to teach in Arkansas. In Texas, you are limited, typically, to heifers or steers, except for open shows.

Also (I had to look to be sure), this year at the state fair they are having a composite show. Heifers can show commercial or composite, but not both.

I know that all the jackpots have done the composite breeds this year also the state fair. I just don't know about county and district. The catalogs should come out next week.

Pretty nice heifer. I think we all need to remember HYBRID VIGOUR does not come from breeding Angus to Angus to Angus to Angus..........etc. Substitute breed of choice.

Showmom - your heifer should be competitive against any animals of any breed. In our state the % show against PB. But, at the Regionals & Nationals (Jr. Simmentals) they are seperated from PB.
Your heifer is extremely clean fronted for a Simmental. Has plenty of guts for a young calf. How old is she in pic?

I am not sure of her exact birthdate-I think they said march. I believe this picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. She is probably 4 1/2 - 5 mnths old. We actually gain possession of her Saturday. They wanted to clip her and get her shots and finish breaking her to lead. They are awesome to work with and hopefully we can buy more from them in the future. I am really excited to see how she does around here in our shows. They are pretty confident that she will be successful.[/b]

We got the papers on the heifer. she is 1/4 simm, 1/2 angus, 1/8 maine and the other 1/8 is CA (What is that?) It's on the who made who side. She's a March 2 baby, so she is about 4 months in the picture.

Latest posts