We bought a show heifer tonight

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know why they wean when they do, she weighed over 500 lbs when we weighed her July 31. I was wondering if the CA stood for Chi. We are buying a bull calf off of them as a future herd bull for the commercial cows. He is nice-can't wait to get him. he's out of an angus cow and Who Made Who. I think the cow is out of Kadabra. My son may show him some in the spring at some local jackpot shows. Whether he does good or not, we need a replacement bull to add some thickness and muscle to our calves. By the looks of him now, he should.

None of our cows have shorthorn or maine in them except the 2 show heifers, so even if the bull was positive it wouldn't affect them would it? I thought that both would have to be positive before the defects showed up? We also bought a bull this past week as a replacement but I am about afraid to post a picture. Seems our selections haven't been up to many's tastes.

If sire and dam are positive there's a 25% chance of a dead calf; 50% of a positive carrier; 25 % of normal. I'm pretty sure WMW is free of both.

If he is bred to commercial cows-limi, angus, and char cross there shouldn't be a problem from what I have read, then. Am I right?

Hey showmom of 2, I know what you're talking about. My son has showed Beefmaster, Angus, and have incorporated both into his commercial herd real well. As he has gotten older he has bought him some Maine cattle and he is really fond of them. He has a Maine bull he is showing this year and a Mainetainer bull he raised out of one of his commercial heifers. The main thing and I think you will agree, 10 O'clock we know where OUR KIDS are: In the barn dropping fake spiders from the rafters. Every year before state fair we make a flying trip to Wal-Mart to get spiders and fishing line :lol: but hey it keeps them out of trouble and keeps them busy. I always say I wish the teachers at his school would come watch them for 1 day, they make it so hard on them with all the homework, I think they think showkids just go to the show and have fun, they don't realize the 12-14 hour days these kids put in. Would'nt change it for anything though. So let them do what they want, I hope it does make a difference in the choices they make......As for state fair I believe the Composite heifers can't show in the commercial show. I am excited they're opening up more classes for the kids.