Watermelon raids we have known

Help Support CattleToday:

Half a dozen of us would stand 3 on each side of the road. Posture like we were playing tug a war across the road. But we had no rope or anything. Cars coming down the road would stop and it would take them a while to figure out we didn't have a rope of anything else across the road.

Some of the neighbor kids had two rifles we could play with. A Jap rifle with firing pin removed and an old civil war musket. We would stuff about 30 caps into the hammer of that old muzzle loader. As a car was driving by the one with the Jap rifle would take off running. The guy with the muzzle loader would shoot him in the back. 30 caps going off at once makes a loud bang. The running guy would make his best imitation of getting shot. That stopped a car or two.

And in high school there was the starting pistols used by the track time. The track was about 4 blocks from the school. We had running gun fights going from the school out to track practice. I don't believe that would be advisable today.

We did cooler raids at state fair. The camper area folks left their coolers outside and one would crawl under and start rolling out beers to the rest of us. Once we had full boots and pockets we'd run down to the river and drink them. Then curfew bell would ring and we would try to run to the dorm. Pretty stupid. But the coolers were full again the next night.

On Halloween --- some friends of mine knew of a tomato patch where the tomatoes were all ready rotten so we thought we would grab some. As we were collecting rotten tomatoes to throw at our friends, the single cop in town came rolling down the street and had his spotlight on, shining out over the "patch". Needless to say, all of us "tomato pickers" had to "hug the ground" to not be seen. WE WERE A MESS. So the policeman yelled--- "I can see you come out of there." At this point my friend beside me heaves a tomato at him which hits the car with a thump and I realize I could be in DEEP TROUBLE so I jump up and "hot foot it" away from the cop and toward the adjacent corn field. And in the light of the SPOT LIGHT --- I see about 20 young kids all headed for the corn field also!
I had NO IDEA that there were that many kids in the patch grabbing rotten tomatoes!

We got up to a lot of mischief but what comes to mind is around Cracker night. Fireworks were available to buy many weeks before Guy Fawkes Night so we used to drop into the local cake shop which had a whole cabinet full of fireworks that we could buy with what ever money we could scrape together. Tuppeny bungers were the big ones but we used to unwrap them and combine the gunpowder to make even bigger bungers. Poor old Maurie Geoghan was our neighbour and our biggest target, he lost several letterboxes over the years until he got smart and would take his letterbox inside of a night well before we could get our hands on the crackers. When you think about it now the neighbours put up with a lot in those days, we would be letting off big bungers well into the evening for weeks before and after Cracker night. People these days are a bit soft.

Ken

Growing up, I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's farm in the Mesilla Valley in New Mexico. Her neighbor had several about 40 acre fields that he would alternate with cotton, alfalfa, and then put it in CRP. While it was in CRP, he would just throw watermelon seeds out and let them do whatever they would do.
Well, I used to go rabbit hunting up in what we called "the mesa". I would tromp through the sand and mesquite for a few hours in the heat and come back through the neighbor's CRP field. By then I was hot and thirsty and would not turn my nose up at warm warm watermelon heart to quench my thirst.
After my grandmother passed, these neighbors started going to church with us and they just became like extended family. About 30 years later, when my wife and I were back in town visiting, we went to see the husband who was dying from cancer. As we were visiting, I confessed my watermelon poaching. He just told me that he had always known. Then he said, " I put those out there for you anyway!"

I bought my first horse with my babysitting money when I was 15. I supported her upkeep by house cleaning. That mare took me away from the influence of other kids into the wild hills, sometimes to the sea and back. I kept her all her life and she lived for 40 years. One night I came home from the ICU and found her dead on the ground. I could see by the marks in the sand she had just dropped dead without a struggle. I sat on a bucket by her head and did not cry.

Years later I was running a hospital at night as nurse house supervisor. The harmless pranks I devised could fill a book.

For a number of years rural mailboxes were bashed in every Halloween night by teenagers with baseball bats. In one spot there was a whole row of mailboxes that was regularly targeted. Finally one of the victims put up a sort of a shell over and around the boxes made of chicken wire plastered over with cement. Others built fortresses of bricks for their mail boxes.

Why did my little brother not think of this? He and 'Corky' made various explosives out of firecracker gun powder to blow up plastic armymen. They even had an underground bomb factory.

Nothing will ever happen again

I grew up on a donation land grant in SW Oregon with my parents and grandparents on my dad's side, two miles off the county road. As an only child (the nearest kid my age was couple miles away, and we didn't like each other), I learned to be creative when it came to keeping myself entertained (learned real quick that you never ever told anyone that you were bored, cause there was always a list of undesirable activities for them to assign to you to alleviate said boredom). It has been said that people of my grandparent's generation, granddad was born in 1897, grandmother in 1900, often held the viewpoint that children were to be seen and not heard. In my opinion, to avoid the aforementioned list of undesirable activities, it was best to remain unseen as well.

One summer morning in the mid to late 70's, after rereading all of my SGT Rock, Ghost Tank, and Nick Fury and His Howling Commando's comic books, I was playing in the backyard with my army men (the little green non-articulated kind that came 25 -100 in plastic bags), when inspiration struck like a bomb cyclone over Disneyland. Playing with my army men at that time consisted of meticulously setting them up in an action-packed battle formation, and then using my makeshift "mortar" to blast em hither and yon. My "mortar" consisted of one of my dad's old claw hammers, the kind with a foam rubber covered metal tube handle, firecrackers I had obtained somewhere, and gun powder. Hand loading ammunition was just a part of life in my family, same as cutting firewood, or tending to the livestock, and as such, I had ready access to gunpowder and a basic understanding of how it could send a bullet whizzing through the air to knock a sheep eating coyote into the arms of Jesus. So, armed with this knowledge and readily accessible resource, I deduced that if I put a small amount of gunpowder down the hollow handle of dad's hammer (the foam rubber grip was worn off the end of the handle exposing the metal tube center), and then slid a lit firecracker sparking fuse end down the tube, the sparks would ignite the gunpowder and result in a very satisfying "poomph" as the firecracker was launched on to the battlefield where it would go off and "blast those dirty rotten no good kraut eating Nazis to kingdom come". I understand that today the idea of a child, less than a decade, old playing "army men" with gun powder and explosives, would have the CSD phone ringing off the hook. Back then however my grandparents, who had raised seven children through the great depression and a world war, seemed to be of a mind that most kids were smart enough not to get themselves killed or maimed if you first explained the dangers to them. Any child that did wind up getting themselves either maimed or dead, served as a lesson for the rest of them. So, as I was happily defending the forces of patriotic plastic freedom from their dastardly plastic foes, it occurred to me that if gun powder could be used to make a "mortar", I bet I could also use it to make a hand grenade as well. So with young boy logic I thought to myself "Hmm, hand grenade…that'd be cool!" I understood that the same rapidly expanding gasses that pushed a bullet out the barrel of a gun with enough energy to knock livestock eating varmints into the hereafter, would result in an explosion if they were sufficiently constrained. I finally settled on a design that involved an artificial lemon juice container (the squeezy plastic kind shaped like a lemon", a teaspoon full of gunpowder, and a firecracker with the fuse poking through the squirter and cap of the juice container. Having constructed my masterpiece, I hurriedly ran out to the big gravel parking/turnaround area outside the front yard to test my creation. My test site was chosen on the basis that it would be safer since "rocks don't burn". Lighting the fuse and issuing a very heroic sounding "grenade!" I chucked the sparking lemon into the middle of the gravel patch and hid behind a pickup truck. When there was no immediate KA-BOOM or even an anemic "pop", I peeked around the corner of the pickup just in time to see my creation transform from a "cool hand grenade" into a terrifyingly unguided rocket of doom. Terrifying because even though as a young boy I would normally rate rockets as even cooler than grenades, this one had launched itself ten or twenty feet into the air and was careening towards the hay field. "HOLY BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP! I shouted using all the words granddad had taught me for just such an occasion, and with an adrenaline-fueled burst of speed that would have made Usain Bolt envious, I launched from behind the pickup in hot pursuit of the corkscrewing lemon of doom. Despite my best efforts, flames were already starting to spread outward from the lemon's landing site at the edge of the hayfield. Wasting no time and with the pure enthusiasm only sheer terror can produce, I began stomping out flames like a rain dancer trying to end a 12-year drought. Thankfully the Lord seems to take mercy on foolish children, and I was able to stomp out all the flames before they had burned an area much bigger than the hood of a car. Knowing that you didn't get credit for stopping a catastrophe if you were the one who started the catastrophe, I spent the next few hours marinating in cold sweat as I waited for my dad to come home from work. Several short eons later, he came rumbling up the road in his old truck. Getting out of the truck, he stopped and surveyed the burnt patch of grass and then turned to me and asked "so, what happened today?" "Ummm…nothing" I stammered nonchalantly . "Hmm, nothing?" he asked. "Nope, nothing" I replied. Still gazing at the burn patch he asked "so, you think nothing will ever happen again?" "No sir, I can absolutely promise you that nothing will ever happen again" I replied emphatically. "Well alright then, see that it doesn't" he said and went on into the house. There are no words for the feelings of amazement and disbelieving relief I felt as I went to sit down quietly under the big maple tree in the yard. My dog Bing came up and sat down next to me. As I thoughtfully scratched behind his ears, I told him "Bing, I think playing army men is a lot more fun when your own butts not on the line.

Why did my little brother not think of this? He and 'Corky' made various explosives out of firecracker gun powder to blow up plastic armymen. They even had an underground bomb factory.

Nothing will ever happen again

I grew up on a donation land grant in SW Oregon with my parents and grandparents on my dad's side, two miles off the county road. As an only child (the nearest kid my age was couple miles away, and we didn't like each other), I learned to be creative when it came to keeping myself entertained (learned real quick that you never ever told anyone that you were bored, cause there was always a list of undesirable activities for them to assign to you to alleviate said boredom). It has been said that people of my grandparent's generation, granddad was born in 1897, grandmother in 1900, often held the viewpoint that children were to be seen and not heard. In my opinion, to avoid the aforementioned list of undesirable activities, it was best to remain unseen as well.

One summer morning in the mid to late 70's, after rereading all of my SGT Rock, Ghost Tank, and Nick Fury and His Howling Commando's comic books, I was playing in the backyard with my army men (the little green non-articulated kind that came 25 -100 in plastic bags), when inspiration struck like a bomb cyclone over Disneyland. Playing with my army men at that time consisted of meticulously setting them up in an action-packed battle formation, and then using my makeshift "mortar" to blast em hither and yon. My "mortar" consisted of one of my dad's old claw hammers, the kind with a foam rubber covered metal tube handle, firecrackers I had obtained somewhere, and gun powder. Hand loading ammunition was just a part of life in my family, same as cutting firewood, or tending to the livestock, and as such, I had ready access to gunpowder and a basic understanding of how it could send a bullet whizzing through the air to knock a sheep eating coyote into the arms of Jesus. So, armed with this knowledge and readily accessible resource, I deduced that if I put a small amount of gunpowder down the hollow handle of dad's hammer (the foam rubber grip was worn off the end of the handle exposing the metal tube center), and then slid a lit firecracker sparking fuse end down the tube, the sparks would ignite the gunpowder and result in a very satisfying "poomph" as the firecracker was launched on to the battlefield where it would go off and "blast those dirty rotten no good kraut eating Nazis to kingdom come". I understand that today the idea of a child, less than a decade, old playing "army men" with gun powder and explosives, would have the CSD phone ringing off the hook. Back then however my grandparents, who had raised seven children through the great depression and a world war, seemed to be of a mind that most kids were smart enough not to get themselves killed or maimed if you first explained the dangers to them. Any child that did wind up getting themselves either maimed or dead, served as a lesson for the rest of them. So, as I was happily defending the forces of patriotic plastic freedom from their dastardly plastic foes, it occurred to me that if gun powder could be used to make a "mortar", I bet I could also use it to make a hand grenade as well. So with young boy logic I thought to myself "Hmm, hand grenade…that'd be cool!" I understood that the same rapidly expanding gasses that pushed a bullet out the barrel of a gun with enough energy to knock livestock eating varmints into the hereafter, would result in an explosion if they were sufficiently constrained. I finally settled on a design that involved an artificial lemon juice container (the squeezy plastic kind shaped like a lemon", a teaspoon full of gunpowder, and a firecracker with the fuse poking through the squirter and cap of the juice container. Having constructed my masterpiece, I hurriedly ran out to the big gravel parking/turnaround area outside the front yard to test my creation. My test site was chosen on the basis that it would be safer since "rocks don't burn". Lighting the fuse and issuing a very heroic sounding "grenade!" I chucked the sparking lemon into the middle of the gravel patch and hid behind a pickup truck. When there was no immediate KA-BOOM or even an anemic "pop", I peeked around the corner of the pickup just in time to see my creation transform from a "cool hand grenade" into a terrifyingly unguided rocket of doom. Terrifying because even though as a young boy I would normally rate rockets as even cooler than grenades, this one had launched itself ten or twenty feet into the air and was careening towards the hay field. "HOLY BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP! I shouted using all the words granddad had taught me for just such an occasion, and with an adrenaline-fueled burst of speed that would have made Usain Bolt envious, I launched from behind the pickup in hot pursuit of the corkscrewing lemon of doom. Despite my best efforts, flames were already starting to spread outward from the lemon's landing site at the edge of the hayfield. Wasting no time and with the pure enthusiasm only sheer terror can produce, I began stomping out flames like a rain dancer trying to end a 12-year drought. Thankfully the Lord seems to take mercy on foolish children, and I was able to stomp out all the flames before they had burned an area much bigger than the hood of a car. Knowing that you didn't get credit for stopping a catastrophe if you were the one who started the catastrophe, I spent the next few hours marinating in cold sweat as I waited for my dad to come home from work. Several short eons later, he came rumbling up the road in his old truck. Getting out of the truck, he stopped and surveyed the burnt patch of grass and then turned to me and asked "so, what happened today?" "Ummm…nothing" I stammered nonchalantly . "Hmm, nothing?" he asked. "Nope, nothing" I replied. Still gazing at the burn patch he asked "so, you think nothing will ever happen again?" "No sir, I can absolutely promise you that nothing will ever happen again" I replied emphatically. "Well alright then, see that it doesn't" he said and went on into the house. There are no words for the feelings of amazement and disbelieving relief I felt as I went to sit down quietly under the big maple tree in the yard. My dog Bing came up and sat down next to me. As I thoughtfully scratched behind his ears, I told him "Bing, I think playing army men is a lot more fun when your own butts not on the line.
Totally awesome!

I did that, with powder from .22 shorts, probably around 1962. Stuffed it, tamped it into a piece of 1/2 kinked on one end copper tubing and hammered the top end shut with a couple of cherry bomb fuses sticking out.
All I will say iis I got a really good ass whoopin over it.

A word of advice too. NEVER ever drill into a .50 cal projectile unless you know for 100% sure that it is just ball ammo and not tracer. These are the kind of things a young dumb, but full of P&V E2 might do...

My brother was a master at designing things that blew up. There two that come to mind. The first was a real honest to goodness pipe bomb. An inch and a half 12 inch galvanized nipple with a cap at each end. A hole drilled for the homemade fuse. Stuffed full of black powder. The fuse was lit and everyone ran for cover. Nothing happened. After a bit Dane Johnson who was the youngest and dumbest kid in the neighborhood and our resident guinea pig was sent to check it. He stood right over it and said the fuse went out. Then "NO IT DIDN"T". He turned to run, took about 2 steps and tripped. About the time he hit the ground the bomb exploded sending shrapnel flying through the trees. Luckily Dane laying flat on the ground was missed.
The other thing was the brother's home made mortar. A piece of 2 inch pipe about 3 feet long. It had a cap on one end. In that cap he soldered a firing pin. He took some 12 ga shotgun shells and cut through the case just above the wad to get rid of the shot. He built mortar shells that had the shotgun shell fastened in the bottom. When dropped down the the pipe the the primer hit the firing pin with enough force to set it off. This sent his shell several hundred feet into the air. Before he could design a way to have the shell explode when it hit the ground the pipe mysteriously disappeared. It is possible Dad took it.

I was going to build a sure 'nuff cannon once, out of a piece of 6" monel drill collar I had, until I found out you needed a federal permit to do it and it wasn't going to be cheap either.

Want to make a serious rocket/fire bomb? Take a 55 gallon drum. Dump in a gallon gas. Slosh it around a bit. Lean it up at a 45 degree angle against a stump. Have the big bung on the down side. Take the bung out and lay a trail of gas back to your safe hiding place. Make sure you are behind cover from the launching site. Light you gas trail. The drum will fly across a decent size canyon. Real spectacular. Only do this on a rainy day when everything is wet so you don't start a wild fire. Also make absolutely sure you are behind solid cover in case you get an explosion instead of a launch. Don't ask me how I know this works.