Watermelon raids we have known

Help Support CattleToday:

Men just love explosions. That's what the Military is for, to break stuff.
To be fair to us, there's two kinds of people 1. People who like to blow stuff up
2. People who like to blow stuff up but don't know it yet because they ain't tried it

And that's about a certifiable fact.

When I was about 6 years old me and my older brother , he was 8, was messing around in the neighbors shed, we found a fishing reel without the rod, we decided that would be a good gift for daddy, when he got home from work we gave it to him, he asks us where we got it and told him, he made us knock on the neighbors door and give him his reel back.
When I was a sophomore in high school the neighbor boy that already graduated would ask me to help him haul some hay, get it out of the barn and sell it to different people, including my dad, I found out years later he was stealing the hay from his kinfolks barn.
I even told him something about it, he said I was cold hearted for bringing it up. Lol.

I was running a hospital at night as night house supervisor. I bought a battery powered realistic looking finger walking severed hand. I made it walk on the floor past the ER waiting room door in the Level 1 Trauma Center.

Another night- had the other nurses cover me with a sheet while lying on a gurney. They rolled me through the halls down the the cafeteria coin operated snack machine area, park the body and buy snackes as hospital employees looked on in horror.

Hospitals are different at night shift. We threw celebratory parties when 'difficult' drama queen patients were discharged home. On Halloween night I would go up on the roof and throw a pumpkin off as those bellow on the hospital stairs chanted Throw It Off Throw It Off, (leaving enough folks to staff to the floors of course). A little remote control toy car drove down the halls spraying air freshener.

Hospitals are different at night shift. We threw celebratory parties when 'difficult' drama queen patients were discharged home.
Gotta say... I've found most of my hospital experiences less than satisfactory regarding hospital personnel and/or procedures.
This is not to say hospital staff don't have tough jobs, but there are some very objectionable things that go on in hospitals that could easily be addressed by looking at it from the patient's perspective. After all... they are the ones in a new and frightening environment, in a place where we all know mistakes happen.
You can become defensive... or you can think and learn. And in most cases I've seen the staff in hospitals are inclined to be defensive rather than open to understanding. To be fair, most professionals think they know everything and are dismissive of those they serve.

I had thyroid cancer while in nursing school. Another time hauled in by the helicopter to the ICU where I used to work so I've been on both sides of the bedrail. I was working from the 1990s to 2012. I have observed that many new nurses graduating seem to be in it for the money. Nursing is a calling that requires empathy and kindness, it's not just a job. I was a sometimes a practioner of humor therapy for patients, when appropriate, because laughter is a good medicine.

Last edited:
I had thyroid cancer while in nursing school. Another time hauled in by the helicopter to the ICU where I used to work so I've been on both sides of the bedrail. I was working from the 1990s to 2012. I have observed that many new nurses graduating seem to be in it for the money. Nursing is a calling that requires empathy and kindness, it's not just a job. I was a sometimes a practioner of humor therapy for patients, when appropriate, because laughter is a good medicine.
IMO medicine used to be a profession, now it is just another industry.

IMO medicine used to be a profession, now it is just another industry.
still tho, nursing is rated at or near the top of the 'most trusted-most respected" list of US professions. Car salesmen politicians and attorneys make the bottom, year after year and probably for good reason

Gotta say... I've found most of my hospital experiences less than satisfactory regarding hospital personnel and/or procedures.
This is not to say hospital staff don't have tough jobs, but there are some very objectionable things that go on in hospitals that could easily be addressed by looking at it from the patient's perspective. After all... they are the ones in a new and frightening environment, in a place where we all know mistakes happen.
You can become defensive... or you can think and learn. And in most cases I've seen the staff in hospitals are inclined to be defensive rather than open to understanding. To be fair, most professionals think they know everything and are dismissive of those they serve.
"to be fair" can be confirmed on these pages.

Back to the subject of pranks here is something concerning pranks I wrote on classmates.com. It is a site where people get together and remember stuff from high school.

Teenagers tend to be imaginative pranksters. It was my idea to travel in storm drains. Soon, so many were so many doing it they had to put locks on the grates. I knew the jig was up when I saw the grate in front of the library open up and five or six kids climb out, handing up each other their books.

" Well, it's been a while. I took Dance because in English class they made us read Orwell's Animal Farm and after that I refused to wear the PE uniform. I have such happy memories of people and friends. Such as lifting up the storm drain grates and traveling to next classes underground. And the time Mr. Stivenson had to call the Fire Dept. to get all the students out of the trees they climbed up but scared to climb down. Poor vice principal Mr. Stivenson, he tolerated so much. And the tame crow that would come visit the tennis courts- The crow would come strolling into to Spanish class like a self important person and fly up on Mr. Giglio's desk and go through his can of pencils and pens throwing them all over. I did not learn much Spanish that year. The time they planted a new lawn around the flag pole and a crop of tiny marijuana plants came up. The time the school band gave a concert in the auditorium and Roger Purdy passed out lemon wedges to all the kids in the first row of the audience. Just as Mr. Yardas struck up the band the front row bit down on the lemons and the whole brass section gurgled their notes. Roger and friends also stole the school flag pole and put it up on the hill top with his underwear flying from it. Do you remember that? I rode my horse to school on the first Earth Day in history, she was tied up out back. That mare was the best horse of my life and she lived 40 years. I'm now blessed with horse #14.

I moved to Texas, got married when I was 24, didn't have any kids, divorced 13 years later. Then went to Nursing School and was honored to work many years as a cardiac then an ICU nurse. Later I ran a hospital at night as nurse house supervisor. The harmless pranks I played could fill a book.

My own place in the country became an animal farm of the good kind. My cowboy rancher neighbor, he has 2 college degrees, knew more about horses than I do. He was like a gallant knight. He would always help me whenever a tree fell across my road or I was stuck in the sand. He met me riding in his hayfield on that same mare I rode to school that day. He was very handsome on that black horse. We became best friends for 38 years. Then, to my shock, he asked me to marry him. Do you know how rare that is? A 68 year old never married cowboy? They always shy away from the double harness. And so, now I live with the love of my life in the beautiful countryside of Oregon. That picture is me in my turnout helmet. I joined a volunteer fire dept. and have sometimes ridden clinging to a fire engine. That's about it. "

I hope whoever reads this might remember something and drop me a note here. It's like a magic time travel machine. Take care and be well :)

Running the rehab hospital at night, I was a great customer of online joke and prank stores. Fake brains floating in jars for my office, fake snakes, things like that. We had Hawaian Night. We got 1/2 an hour for to eat if we are lucky. Everybody wore grass skirts and coconut shell bras (over their scubs of course) and feasted on ham with pineapple with mashed potatos for 'poi' while Hawaian music played. I also worked the day shift. I had a stick on doorbell next to the back door of the hospital kitchen with a sign Press for Service that squirted water at eye level. Doctors were also fair game. Remote control fart machine under their chairs at the nurses station. I would wait for vistiors to walk by then press the button. Another small fart machine I would drop into someone's pocket as I left the elevator, wait for the door to close again then press the button. There was one doc who had a sense of humor. I obtained a human skeleton (realistic plastic) from the physical therapists office and but it in a bed. With a urinal bottle with apple juice in it on the overbed table. I called him and said he had an admission named Mr. Boneski. He went in the room, closed the door and was in therefor a while. Came out and called a Code which of course I had to go to.

The best work prank I ever did was when I was working in a large Wal-mart type store that sold live pets. There were two finches in one of the cages, and for some reason the lady who took care of them was convinced they were a pair, and were going to build a nest and try to raise babies. She had even hung a little basket in one corner of the cage for them to make their nest in.

If you aren't familiar with them, they're tiny birds; probably not as long as my index finger and not much bigger around.

So I got to work early one morning and carefully laid a chicken egg in the bottom of the cage. I made sure to be close by that morning when she came in and started her daily routine, which included cleaning the cages. She was busy talking to me and not paying much attention until she had the bottom of the cage pulled about halfway out and noticed the egg. That was over 40 years ago, but I'll never forget how big her eyes got before she started laughing.

There was the time that 3 weaner pigs were turned loose in the high school. Before being turned loose they had the numbers 1, 2, & 4 painted on their backs. The powers to be searched long and hard for number 3. The neighboring rival school's mascot was the beavers. The night before the big game a dead beaver was run up the flag pole.

In Oregon there are two universities. One's mascot is the Ducks and the other is the Beavers
Beaver Nation | Oregon State "Beaver Nation. A place for all: Oregon State is the 'People's University'; "

oregon-state-beavers-fanatics-egift-card-_10-_500_pi4777000_ff_4777611-98f434ebc84ed3cd900a_full.jpg

I bought a teeshirt with this logo that said
Womens Basketball Lady Beavers

I added with iron-on letters
Sponsered by Gilette

In Oregon there are two universities. One's mascot is the Ducks and the other is the Beavers
Beaver Nation | Oregon State "Beaver Nation. A place for all: Oregon State is the 'People's University'; "

View attachment 27194

I bought a teeshirt with this logo that said
Womens Basketball Lady Beavers

I added with iron-on letters
Sponsered by Gilette
Much better than the Ducks which also known as Moscow on the Willamette.

Latest posts