Scientists have discovered a flavor gene missing from store bought tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

I grow real tomatoes. The tomatoes you buy at the store are real too.

My understanding is that store tomatoes are picked Green, packed, and then shipped to wherever while gassing them to turn them red.

My advice is to buy local as much as possible. Support your local farmers, and most here can be supported by their local community as well.
Local here is from August to October 1 unless you have a greenhouse.
Our growing season isn't very long. Fresh tomatoes are a real treat.

This is what I have discovered. (I home grow tomatos). In the winter, if you buy Roma tomatos, the cheapest tomatos from the store. And keep most refridgerated but take several out at a time to ripen at room temperature you can get a decent flavored fresh tomato for salads and home made pizza.

I have always grown EarlyGirls with great success in both Texas and Oregon. This year I am trying some 'Hairlooms' Cherokee Purple, Great White, Soldaki, Siltz and Lemon Boy in this SW Oregon rmicroclimate to see what happens.

This is what I have discovered. (I home grow tomatos). In the winter, if you buy Roma tomatos, the cheapest tomatos from the store. And keep most refridgerated but take several out at a time to ripen at room temperature you can get a decent flavored fresh tomato for salads and home made pizza.

I have always grown EarlyGirls with great success in both Texas and Oregon. This year I am trying some 'Hairlooms' Cherokee Purple, Great White, Soldaki, Siltz and Lemon Boy in this SW Oregon rmicroclimate to see what happens.
You should try the "
Mortgage Lifter" variety sometime.

Latest posts