Yes, we did this to our swimming pool

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Once the kids moved out, i cleaned and cleaned that durn pool and maybe someone swam in it 30 minutes once a month. I had my hot tub, thats really all i wanted. But, what do you do with a resource sucking pool? You do this...

The pool house that housed the pump is now my greenhouse. I use to hate going in there because the skunks loved living behind the pump. I risked my life every time i backwashed..lol I know if i were ever sprayed it would kill me. The smell is more than my nose can take...

There are two really good days when owning a pool. The first day you use it and the day you get rid of it. It appears you are making good use of 'the hole in the ground you put money in'.

It was a 10 yr old liner pool, so it didnt hurt so much when we filled it in. Needed a new liner at the price of 5 to 6 thousand dollars.. I took out the liner and dug up holes all around the bottom. Actually, if someone wanted to, they could dig the dirt out and repair the bottom and put in a new liner. Not this chick though, I grow so much food in this garden. We just finished last years onions i planted in a space of 3x10(have over 800 in this space this year), still eating canned tomatoes, and i grew over 80 ears of corn in a space of 4x10 that was bug free because i planted in july. I have all my plants on a drip line (the secret). Right now i'm working on a giant dehydrator and i plan to grow more herbs to dry. I want to sun dry some tomatoes and i've planted tons of potatoes i plan to can.

Beautiful place Cowgirl! It is whatever you enjoy the most. (Garden vs Pool) A lot of people just do not like all the maintenance of a pool, that's why I dug just a pond in my back yard! (For the labs.)

Thanks :D ....We have a pond we swim in when we feel like cooling off. All i ever needed was that hot tub. I sit in it every morning, listen to the cows wake up and call their babies and watch the sun rise. But with 4 kids, they really wanted a pool. And, it started one of our kids diving interest. One of our daughters dove for SMU's junior elite team. She started on that little board. She would dive off and do all kinds of things. Got an appointment to see the only coach 120 miles away. They put her on the team that day. She was on the team until she was 15 and by then kids have private coaches or they practice twice a day. I was driving her after school 3 times a week during school days and on saturday. Thats 240 miles round trip to dive 2 hours 4 times a week. And mix that with been a teenager girl....grueling :shock:

Yes, that does sound grueling! I drive that for work, at least. But usually only a couple times per month. :D
Someday you will have grand kids that will want the pool back again! :D
Your place looks really, really, nice though!!

Thanks again...We love it here. Built this house in 1990. Its been a great place to raise a family. We have 2 kids who kept up with the ranching ways, the diver wants nothing to do with cows or horses. Daughter #2 is a cop..Our son works for us. Oldest daughter is a FFA teacher.
You know what i'm planning on getting for the grandkids when they are old enough. I'm getting a bounce house. You can pick them up pretty cheap off craigslist. They even have them with water slides. This way, i can put it up while they are here, and then take it down. Our grandson is 1 1/2 and we have a granddaughter due in May..All my kids are married, live near and they all want kids, so really looking forward to having a bunch. I'm called Birdie. I've never been keen on MeeMaw and names like that. I love bird watching and can identify most where i live. I think Birdie fits me.
When i was driving my daughter #3 to Dallas, daughter #1 and #2 and i were also in a high speed equestrian drill team. So, when i wasnt in Dallas, i was hauling horses to practice in the other direction. Really, looking back i dont know how i did it. Seems i never have time for anything now, but i do less.... :???:

I don't blame you one bit. Each year I spend two months wishing I had a pool but the rest of the year I am thankful I didn't.

We did the same thing with our pool except we busted up the concrete apron and pushed it in and buried it. Leveled it with top soil and now there's centipede lawn where the pool was.

A pool is about the only thing I can think of that cost $30 grand and adds zero value to your property. Enjoy the hot tub.(And the veggies)

slick4591":1xjzby9c said:
There are two really good days when owning a pool. The first day you use it and the day you get rid of it. It appears you are making good use of 'the hole in the ground you put money in'.
A boat does the same thing for water--but I'm thinking about getting one to fish Lake Livingston with...

TexasBred":2bzea1zp said:
A pool is about the only thing I can think of that cost $30 grand and adds zero value to your property. Enjoy the hot tub.(And the veggies)
In the scope of things here, the pool did neither, raise or lower. It made the best garden ever though. We were able to choose what dirt went in it and it has a walkway all the way around it to have clean access to the garden and it keeps weeds out. I've routed automatic drip lines everywhere so all i really have to do is plant and pick..

None of those arguments worked on the wife. I have a ****ing swimming pool.

A couple years before we filled it in, i converted the pool to saltwater. I totally recommend it, made it almost maintenance free..

We turned the pool house into a greenhouse. But, someday i plan to make a chicken tractor that i will be able to move around the garden in the winter. Back when it was a swimming pool, we had a dome that we put over it in the winter. It extended our season to about a month. But, while it was up i had what i called Bubble Trouble. Although it survived many a storm, if the electricity went out, it was a problem. I'd have to go out and help it go down. It was huge. If i can find a picture i'll post it.

Its shocking when i see how the pool looked as a pool....makes me just a little sad, but it was the smart thing to do..

Latest posts