watering idea help

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
the property I recently obtained a lease on has well water. Without running a line underground to an auto watering system is there any other way I can do this where I don't have to physically water the cattle every day

Forgive me if I missed it elsewhere. What kind of property is it and are you wanting to have them there all year or what part of the year?

How deep is the well? A pasture nose-pump could be an option, provided the well isn't anymore than 30 feet. :cowboy:

One problem is that where the well is I have to water them about 100 ft. from where it actually is.

How about gravity feed, do you have enough elevation to gravity feed?

alftn":128bsxyh said:
How about gravity feed, do you have enough elevation to gravity feed?

Well I know how gravity works but how does a gravity water setup work? I'm also thinking about when the temp is below freezing

Just to be sure is there a pump in the well?

If so its easy- a hose, tank,float and let it drip in freezing weather

Howdyjabo":18vbwvjd said:

We had some nights in January when it was in the single digits, I think a drip would freeze in that. Also, how do keep the tank full of H2O if I'm not there for a day or two and it's just dripping?

tncattle":1ztmdqk5 said:
Howdyjabo":1ztmdqk5 said:

We had some nights in January when it was in the single digits, I think a drip would freeze in that. Also, how do keep the tank full of H2O if I'm not there for a day or two and it's just dripping?

If there is a pump and the well has enough water to run some through, there are several ways to do it.

1) The Cobett waterer that was mentioned is a good energy-free system that works well even if temperature drops sub-zero. They cost about $1000 to put in, but require no energy for heating, have very little maintenance, and will work whether or not you are there. In my experience they are a lot more reliable than the ball-type waterers (mirafount, ritchie). This approach requires no extra water to flow through.

2) A company in Oklahoma called Walters (something or other) has a stock tank valve with a thermocouple that will start a smaller secondary circulating valve when the water temperature in the tank drops to a certain level. You can set it for the temp you want. We used to run them at 35F. This system works real well and only causes water to overflow when the temperature is at risk for freezing. Install an overflow drain in the tank to avoid a mud wallow around the tank :D .

3) Use a manual secondary valve to run some overflow water through the system. This requires you go out each time the temperature threatens to freeze and manually open the valve.

4) Use continuously flowing water. You need a very good well to do this. It works much better with springs. This is what we do here where we experience -20 to -30 almost every winter.

I may not fully understand the problem but it sounds like you have a working well but your cattle are located 100 feet from it. Why can't you just dig a trench and tie into the well?

First of all thanks for the responses. The $1000 plan is not an option as I can't see spending that kind of $ right now. The trench is an idea but being new to this just trying to see if there is another option, the land is only going to have 4-5 adults cows with calves for the first year.

Put a tank next to the well and run a temp hotwire alleyway up to it

good idea Dun but the owner doesn't want the cattle in the area where the well is located, it's fairly close to the house.

When it gets real low make the drip a little stronger- I don't have any problems with a strong trickle at 10 degrees . I have a hose connected to the drain plug with a valve on it that I can open or close to any level of drip/flow desired. The drip hose is long enough and flowing down hill to carry the water away from the tank.
When we get a real hard cold spell I just shut the water off at night bring the hose in or drain it real good and water during the day.
Get a tank big enough to water them for a whole day and you just have to fill it once.

Sounds like you are trying to be careful of the fellas yard. Don't know how rocky your soil is but if you have access to a single shank subsoiler you can pull the pipe underground using this. This method will do minimal damage to the turf and you should be able to pull 5 sticks of pvc in a matter of minutes. Once complete, all you need to do is pack the furrow with the tractor tire and come spring they won't even know you did it. If this sounds do able, I'll be glad to give you more details if needed.

Latest posts