watering rig for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
First calving season and have 3 x 3 week bull calves running around. Didn't quite realize that, unlike baby humans, calves need water in addition to milk. Fortunately we've had a wet few weeks and there is standing water. But as I start pasture rotation, my only consistent access is a 6 foot round concrete watering trough with an underground water line to it. Calves aren't tall enough to drink for prob another 4-6 weeks? Anyone have a good set-up for this? Steps/ramp? small solar pump? Small diameter tube on constant gravity flow into a little trough? My back-up plan is to just not rotate pastures till they are tall enough to reach water. BTW, have no idea if you can train 3 week old calves to a single strand electric fence at knee level! The moms are very well trained and I watched the calves hit it 2-4 times each before leaving it alone...but we'll see.

Calves that young don't drink a lot of water. If you have an empty lick tub just dip water out of the tank once a day that will be enough for them.
As for your hot wire... good luck. I use two strands. One knee high, the second at the bottom of my jeans pocket. I have a GALLAGHER M1500 CHARGER 15 joules. The cows won't come near it. The calves figure out that if they run fast enough through it they won't get shocked. But then they won't go back through it to get back to their mothers.

I used to keep 2 old lick tubs with water for the calves. Had to fill em every day tho, as the cows would drink it down. They prefer it over the big tank. Lol

Hot wire I've been very fortunate with. The babies usually dont go far from mama. When they do stray, they always find their way back when they get hungry for milk. Not a problem unless u are near a busy road....

Latest posts