New rancher, any help or advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

cbcr said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php
That is their PR version. Here is the "rules" revised May 18, 2017.
" Phenotype. Cattle eligible for certification in Angus influence beef programs based on
phenotype (appearance) will have a main body that must be solid black1, with no other color
behind the shoulder, above the flanks, or breaking the midline behind the shoulders, excluding
the tail. Angus influence cattle may be either horned or polled. Carcasses of certified live
animals which display certain non-Angus characteristics (e.g., dairy conformation, Holsteins,
Brahman humps) will be excluded as specified in the carcass specifications for approved
programs."

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/AAALiveAnimalSpecification.pdf

they used to say must be 51% black hided.

Unless they don't have enough carcasses to fill demand and then a Hereford or any other breed will qualify!

I have often wondered about that and I suspected as much. I have superfically investigated the CAB brand. To the point that I called them twice and ask questions. There are a lot of misunderstandings about CAB. It might help to state:

1. It is a Brand/Trademark approved by the The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in the U.S. Department of Commerce that issues patents to inventors and businesses for their inventions, and trademark registration for product and intellectual property identification.

2. CAB is incorporated although it is owned by the AAA.

3. CAB does not own one single head of cattle. They simply administer the use of their Trademark by meat packers.

4. This is the part I had a hard time figuring out. Maybe you can help. As I understand it, CAB generates income by charging the meat packer for the right to use the CAB trademark. Is that correct?

At the end of the day, what is sold as CAB is not DNA tested Angus breed beef.

I really don't know how they get money out of the Trademark.
My Purebred Simmental go into the CAB program. If they DNA tested, they would find "some" Angus for sure, after all, they have Angus black hair. :D

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I really don't know how they get money out of the Trademark.
My Purebred Simmental go into the CAB program. If they DNA tested, they would find "some" Angus for sure, after all, they have Angus black hair. :D

I remember someone on here posting about the purity of the Simmental breed. I think it was Lucky_P. I am not sure. The post was based on studies using DNA markers. The Modern American Simmental breed is just as pure as the Modern American Angus. No breed is "pure". No doubt some of the impurities in the American Simmental are due to Angus influence.

They all have the same progenitors. It is just a function of how long their gene pool has been isolated from other influences. Total isolation is impossible.

Bighead said:
I'm in Kentucky and like to get into the cattle business. I have no clue where to start. I like to get some black angus and that's about all I know as of now. I have the land for it and the set up just needing advice on how to start. Thanks

Don't - Just don't
Best advice I can offer you

skyhightree1 said:
Bighead said:
I'm in Kentucky and like to get into the cattle business. I have no clue where to start. I like to get some black angus and that's about all I know as of now. I have the land for it and the set up just needing advice on how to start. Thanks

Don't - Just don't
Sky's had a bad week. ;-) So have I but I still love my girls. That said, he's been there/done that so sage advice.

TCRanch said:
skyhightree1 said:
Bighead said:

Don't - Just don't
Sky's had a bad week. ;-) So have I but I still love my girls. That said, he's been there/done that so sage advice.

Definitely bad week with cattle... I would suggest doing something more advantageous with ones money its kind of silly to start in cattle when seems there is no bottom and so shaky... Buy in to do more work and be aggravated... lose money etc

skyhightree1 said:
TCRanch said:
skyhightree1 said:
Don't - Just don't

Definitely bad week with cattle... I would suggest doing something more advantageous with ones money its kind of silly to start in cattle when seems there is no bottom and so shaky...
My guess , this poster has cattle """angus""" and that money's not a problem..

I think you need to get a mentor farmer to get advice along the way. Spend many hours sitting watching at the salebarn so you get a feel for the cattle that do well in your area. You also get an idea of how big the cattle are, docility or not, prices, ect. Then decide what is your end game- what do you plan to sell to get money to keep going or to get out. Decide on your time frames for breaking even or making a profit. Is it realistic? I dont mean will this work only if the stars, sun, and moon all aline. You have to figure in some death loss, illness, vet, higher feed cost, farm repairs, gas to collect everything. People make money with cattle. You need a realistic plan, the means to carry it out, the stamina to carry it out, and the sense to tweak or abandon the plan if it is failing. There isn't shame in failing, just in failing to plan, or failing to try.

Latest posts